Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How many emails before you take the hint?

How many emails before you take the hint?

Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

durhamlad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How many emails before you take the hint?

Originally Posted by Mumfords
Well OH has rang his family most weekends, For 2 weekends he hasent rang and says he wont ... no calls from them at the mo...shame suppose the phone calls will start from them again if they decide they want a holiday

Ann
Not all family left behind are like this. My family have now been in Ozz for over 7 years and we still text, talk and e mail each I few times a week and send DVDs we have recorded on a regular basis. We never miss sending cards and presents. For Easter we are sending a parcel of small easter eggs over for the family even though the postage costs more than the contents. I think we must be lucky that we have a family who are separated by a great distance but are still very close.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

lelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of lightlelchelle is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by durhamlad
Not all family left behind are like this. My family have now been in Ozz for over 7 years and we still text, talk and e mail each I few times a week and send DVDs we have recorded on a regular basis. We never miss sending cards and presents. For Easter we are sending a parcel of small easter eggs over for the family even though the postage costs more than the contents. I think we must be lucky that we have a family who are separated by a great distance but are still very close.
The same here really .My sister and her family have been out in Perth for two years now and we speak to each other nearly every day. If its not possible to do so then we text or e-mail each other !We also send over goody parcels containing things such as bisto and Chocolate , she sends us Cherry ripes and certain green thai curry paste

Michelle
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

In relationships, it's not the emails, or even the letters, normally I get the idea when the court order comes in with an exclusion order attached.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I email friends still but get little back and it feels like I only ever get replies, never friend initiated... as for rellies... well my parents email me all the time but no one else really misses me..

But then I have to pinch myself to make me realise I am actually here in australia.. maybe they are in denial too
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I occasionally get an email from a friend or two who have moved away. As it is a group mail with about 15 other people copied on it, I find it less personal. I reply everytime but I cna understand why others wouldnt. I dont think its possible to stay in regular contact given the time difference and distance.

I havent moved yet and am a bit unsure as to how this aspect will work. But, I am fully expect to lose contact with friends as thats happened to me before when I moved. Its sad but a friendship is not a marriage.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

dainty will become famous soon enough

I found, having myself moved away on my own at 23 to the UK from Canada, I was in regular contact with all my old mates from school and work, and few akward conversations with the family.

10 years on, I'm able to have regular conversation with my family member, and via the magic of facebook, have reconnected with all those people I had a casual friendship with. (best bit about facebook - is it can be very passive)

I still don't send much things in the post (5 xmas pressies in 10 years, a few birthday gifts, a couple of new baby gifts, and a few random I'm in the UK and your not gifts).

Sorry..... I seemed to have lost the point of where I was going with this post.. must be nearing 5pm going home time...
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley

Aditional thought: I think they don't reply because they think their lives are boring compared to yours so, "What's the point".
I agree with this FB. My cousin has actually said to me "I'd write to you , but what am I going to write about?" Slightly sad. But same cousin is saving like mad to come and visit me for her 30th.

With my family and friends, and know it's not personal, and if I went back next week, it would be like I'd never left. Matt gets pissed off when it's him that's doing all the contacting.. I've learnt to live with it.
j