Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How many emails before you take the hint?

How many emails before you take the hint?

Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How many emails before you take the hint?

My question is....

how many emails do you send to friends and family before you eventually take the hint and stop bothering...

Like wise, phoning 'home', I didn't realise that dialing an international number from the uk was so difficult... Appears to be much easier to do here in Asutralia...

I think I might turn into one of those people who sends a yearly christmas card from and that is it....

Face looks bovered?

yes
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many emails before you take the hint?

Originally Posted by eddie007
My question is....

how many emails do you send to friends and family before you eventually take the hint and stop bothering...

Like wise, phoning 'home', I didn't realise that dialing an international number from the uk was so difficult... Appears to be much easier to do here in Asutralia...

I think I might turn into one of those people who sends a yearly christmas card from and that is it....

Face looks bovered?

yes
About 3 years in my case - hubby still getting there but learning. It is, after all, a different planet!
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:49 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

My question is....

Face looks bovered?

yes
I send out an email, saying that I am clearing out my addresses and ask people if they want to be kept on the email to please answer ...if they dont after two weeks...then delete delete
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Think I have a case of PND - Post Nativity Downers
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:25 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

My question is....

Face looks bovered?

yes
Ugh... well you could just do what I do, and put them on the 'round robin' list, where they'll forever be hearing about you and your wonderful life, even if they don't write back.... Just send out the mass email every few months.

Or just send everyone the link to your blog and don't bother writing emails.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Last two years I sent tons of cards back to the UK
This year I only sent to those that either bothered to send us chrissie cards OR sent a card when our daughter was born
I have long since stopped caring about people that cant be bothered...
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Hurrah! I thought it was just me..got a terrible inferiority complex! I get the they're too busy to write but if I don't bother for a while they're on there asking if I'm okay???AAAGGHH
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Last Christmas we got about 20 cards. This year we got 2 - and one of those was hand delivered by our next door neighbour.

Last year we mailed about 40 cards. This year I mailed 20. Next year 0.

I have decided that if they can't be bothered with us then I can't be bothered with them. Our children did not even get a birthday card this year. It costs $1.20 from Canada to mail them. It's not like it's difficult, either.

Sometimes you just have to let things and people go. At first I was really hurt by the lack of communication from all the people who said they would be devestated by our leaving and miss us tremendously. Now I figure it was the best way for me to see who really cared about us and those who were just fair weather friends.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:44 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Or just send everyone the link to your blog and don't bother writing emails.

Wise words as ever from my red-haired friend.

That's exactly what I do. I've stopped being offended by the lack of responses to my emails a long time ago. I started my diary (there is no such effin word as "blog") and just found it a fun and creative way to say what I wanted to say about my life. I usually banish myself to the study every Friday night, crack open a beer or few and waffle on about how hot it is or how reasonably priced lettuces are over here. I keep a Flickr page as well. No bugger leaves comments on there either but they still look at the pictures I'm sure.

Aditional thought: I think they don't reply because they think their lives are boring compared to yours so, "What's the point".

Last edited by Fenton Beasley; Dec 27th 2007 at 4:47 am. Reason: additional thought
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:45 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

My question is....

Face looks bovered?

yes
We were talking about the phoning home bit with friends the other day ... it must be very difficult to do it from the UK ....why do we always have to phone back there ??....some people are ok...but as for others - there must be some sort of blockage

My friend decided to see if he got a call from his family on Christmas Day - rather than him phone as is usual.
He didn't.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:50 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

My question is....

Face looks bovered?

yes
Pisses you off huh !!!

The missus got a txt mssg boxing day...

"thanks for cards and prezzys, we been sick, will send card when we get time, will try and call in new yr"

From her Dad n step-mom, both retired, and fighting fit.

PHUKEM
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon I might try the Tiddly/Fenton way from now on. I've already opened flickr and passed on the address, just need a wee diary page and I'm set.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Pisses you off huh !!!

The missus got a txt mssg boxing day...

"thanks for cards and prezzys, we been sick, will send card when we get time, will try and call in new yr"

From her Dad n step-mom, both retired, and fighting fit.

PHUKEM
Christmas email from my parents...Hi, D. There was something Mom wanted me to tell you but I can't remember what. Hope you have a nice Christmas. Dad.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:53 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

It's a nightmare isn't it. We've given everyone the number to use that gives them 1p a min calls to Oz but still the only people who ever call are our parents. Come on people, is it really THAT hard to dial an extra 7 digits!!!!!!

We sent loads of Xmas cards this year and for the first time ever got hardly any back so our list will be much more streamlined next year. I'm not wasting time and money on those people who begged us not to go and then forgot us the minute the plane left the tarmac.

Saying that, I have only just today come across Margaret's Xmas card which had lodged itself down the sofa. Sorry Margaret.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 4:53 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
I reckon I might try the Tiddly/Fenton way from now on. I've already opened flickr and passed on the address, just need a wee diary page and I'm set.
Fit an invisible Ip Snooper on your blog. Each time page is visited it sends you an email, saying what ip address and what country , time etc etc etc

Very useful for sniffing out ... bullshit !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.