Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How to get a job in the mines?

How to get a job in the mines?

Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

donnydave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to get a job in the mines?

I am a 30 year old male from the UK who is currently in Australia on a work Visa.
I am wanting to go out and work in the mines, but have no qualifications to get work except as a dumptruck driver (777B cat truck etc etc)
Only one problem though! I have no dumptruck license.
Is there any companies that anyone knows of that will train and take me on? I will also be asking this company to sponsor me so I can eventually become a citizen of Australia.
Failing that, is there anywhere that I can pay for training myself in order to get a license?
Also is there any other qualifications that I need?
I am willing to work anywhere in Australia and don’t mind being away for weeks or even months at a time as I am ex-army.

I hear from ever1 that they are crying out for people to work in the mines,but cannot seem to find much
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to get a job in the mines?

You have to pay for your own training and get your licence.

Then get yourself to one of the mining centres such as Broken Hill or Kalgoorlie, and apply for jobs when you are physically there.

A mate of mine did it - he said once you got your foot in the door getting new contracts is easy, but he had no luck job hunting from Perth
Old Mar 20th 2008, 12:16 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get a job in the mines?

I used to work with a girl (at Rio Tinto but in accounts in Perth) who applied for and got a job driving the huge trucks at Yandi. She had nothing but her regular drivers licence and all training was provided. The mines are so desparate for staff they will do this. If all else fails, you can earn $100K washing dishes or changing beds on a 8 & 6 FIFO pattern.