Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How big is Space ...

How big is Space ...

Old Mar 21st 2014, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How big is Space ...

Originally Posted by Wol
In a timeless, spaceless nothing, a deity is as good an explanation as any, IMO. And I'm an atheist (to be accurate, an agnostic.)
That's an interesting view, and shows open-minded thinking from you.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 1:04 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's big

The USS Enterprise has been out there for nearly 50 years

Old Mar 21st 2014, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

A Canadian friend and I used to meet every Saturday for a buffet breakfast at one of the hotels along the Beach here. We two old codgers discussed everything under the sun (and I don't mean "under the sun" in any literal sense, of course, on this thread...). One day I introduced a new agenda-item by asking, "Does infinity exist, outside high-school maths and the circumference of a circle?" Here is the blog I wrote on the topic after he had died:
http://barlowscayman.blogspot.com/20...y-and-all.html

For us, infinity was a very difficult concept to get our heads around. Essentially, the debate boiled down to: "Is the universe finite (very, very big) or infinite (endless)? Is it eternal, or will it just last for a long, long, time?" Often, debates of this sort descend into a maelstrom of conflicting definitions in which the basic point is overlooked, and several of the posts on this thread have done just that. The theory that there is nothing beyond the universe, for instance, is nonsensical, and dodges the issue.

I myself don't have any answers; as an auditor, I like to limit my job to asking questions and to pointing out implausibilities (!).
Old Mar 21st 2014, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's big

The USS Enterprise has been out there for nearly 50 years

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G4pKq0sEjuA
Old Mar 21st 2014, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
A Canadian friend and I used to meet every Saturday for a buffet breakfast at one of the hotels along the Beach here. We two old codgers discussed everything under the sun (and I don't mean "under the sun" in any literal sense, of course, on this thread...). One day I introduced a new agenda-item by asking, "Does infinity exist, outside high-school maths and the circumference of a circle?" Here is the blog I wrote on the topic after he had died:
http://barlowscayman.blogspot.com/20...y-and-all.html

For us, infinity was a very difficult concept to get our heads around. Essentially, the debate boiled down to: "Is the universe finite (very, very big) or infinite (endless)? Is it eternal, or will it just last for a long, long, time?" Often, debates of this sort descend into a maelstrom of conflicting definitions in which the basic point is overlooked, and several of the posts on this thread have done just that. The theory that there is nothing beyond the universe, for instance, is nonsensical, and dodges the issue.

I myself don't have any answers; as an auditor, I like to limit my job to asking questions and to pointing out implausibilities (!).
Rational scepticism.
Old Mar 21st 2014, 9:35 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I have idea who Piers Morgan is at this point in time, but I shall google it.
I wouldn't bother. It's 30 secs of your life you'll never get back.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rasen78
I wouldn't bother. It's 30 secs of your life you'll never get back.
Ok thanks.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:11 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Ok thanks.
I'll save that 30 secs for you.
I think he was the Irish geezer who did James Bond.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bix
I'll save that 30 secs for you.
I think he was the Irish geezer who did James Bond.
Even less tempted to google now.