Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

House selling in the UK and silly offers

House selling in the UK and silly offers

Old May 21st 2009, 10:03 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House selling in the UK and silly offers

Originally Posted by Exile
Sorry to hear about your grandad NB.

Do you have to sell it now? Is there any way you could get it done up and rent it out for a year or two?

Now is not a good time to be a seller in most areas of the UK. The exchange rate is very unfavourable too.

20% under asking price seems to be a reasonable offer these days, which would put the modernised houses at 160k. Do you have any figures for actual sales prices in the area, not asking prices, which are usually very optimistic?
Unfortunately my Grandad stipulated it had to be sold. We have an offer for 155, I think I would be daft to hold out for another 5000 at this stage, basically thats 2500 I am quibbling over as it's split between my brother and I. It irks me I might add. Don't even talk about the arse falling out of the exchange rate. Anyway it is money I never thought I would get as we were estranged for many years so hand on heart I am very grateful.
Old May 21st 2009, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

accept the offer and raise your glass to your grandad.
If you dont need the money over here at the moment leave it there until u are happy with the exchange rate.
Old May 21st 2009, 7:01 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

If the house is not incurring charges , let it sit till your price is met. Have someone air it occasionally.

If you want this over with just let it go for the best price offered in the next month
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
When the agent valued the house we asked if we would increase the saleability of the property by doing that and she said in that area with a house like that it wouldn't have added much value and wouldn't increase the market.
I am sure she is right that it wouldn't add any value.

But you have to think that at the moment there are an awful lot of houses on the market. You say it's a desireable village. But it does have other houses for sale.

At the moment, a viewer is going to say oh God, I've got to re-do the whole house. But if you replace the carpet with a cheap inoffensive cream one and do the same with the wallpaper, you might get viewers who say Hm, this is not too bad.

The thing with bathrooms and kitchens is that a new owner can leave that till later when they have some more money. Changing the carpets and wallpaper however is something that needs to be done a.s.a.p. - and that might put off potential buyers.
Old May 22nd 2009, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozhappy981

But you have to think that at the moment there are an awful lot of houses on the market. You say it's a desireable village. But it does have other houses for sale.

At the moment, a viewer is going to say oh God, I've got to re-do the whole house. But if you replace the carpet with a cheap inoffensive cream one and do the same with the wallpaper, you might get viewers who say Hm, this is not too bad.

The thing with bathrooms and kitchens is that a new owner can leave that till later when they have some more money. Changing the carpets and wallpaper however is something that needs to be done a.s.a.p. - and that might put off potential buyers.
Absolutely right, some people can't see through the wallpaper and carpet to what it could look like. If it has good windows and central heating then just doing a bit of painting and replacing flooring might be enough to swing it for a buyer.
Old May 22nd 2009, 9:32 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981

Well the agent disagreed with you so we didn't bother. Looks like we may have agreed on a price so here is to a quick sale and the exchange rate improving.
Old May 22nd 2009, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's unpopular but we haggled like hell for our current home, with naer a thought for the vendor's situation. As the old saying goes "there's no sentiment in business", as every penny you save is more off your mortgage ultimately. I have had to let a house go at well under the selling price, but I didn't blame the purchaser. It is heartbreaking, especially when there is an attachment or when you've poured in so much time and money, but it's just human nature to want to save money. Life's a bitch I guess. I would agree that it may be a good investment to tart it up as much as possible or to hang on to it if at all possible and good luck with the sale.
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:57 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal23
Try this website.

www.zoopla.co.uk

Might be be able to help you see if the pricing is right is in the 1st place
A useful site thanks. Something that I have noticed is the prices that I have seen there for my area appear to be quite a bit higher than what's in our local paper.
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

kim-pete is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately my Grandad stipulated it had to be sold. We have an offer for 155, I think I would be daft to hold out for another 5000 at this stage, basically thats 2500 I am quibbling over as it's split between my brother and I. It irks me I might add. Don't even talk about the arse falling out of the exchange rate. Anyway it is money I never thought I would get as we were estranged for many years so hand on heart I am very grateful.
I think you've done the right thing. The market over here is terrible and they say that we haven't reached the bottom yet!
Old May 22nd 2009, 12:12 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your comments everyone. We have rejected the offer of 145 and told the agent to come back at 160. If the house had been on the market 12 months we may have reacted differently but its only been 2 weeks. Will play the waiting game now.

Sorry to read about the loss of your grandfather.

I think you've made a sensible decision. There are loads of people just itching to buy but also playing the waiting game. The question is: Who's going to crack first? I reckon it'll be the buyers who are having to pay rent while all this waiting plays out. 'Hoping I'm right because I'll soon be putting my own house on to the market.
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:33 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry

I think you've made a sensible decision. There are loads of people just itching to buy but also playing the waiting game. The question is: Who's going to crack first? I reckon it'll be the buyers who are having to pay rent while all this waiting plays out. 'Hoping I'm right because I'll soon be putting my own house on to the market.
That's how it seems around our area.

Cooler
Old May 23rd 2009, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry

I reckon Job Security is the primary factor in all of this, those with secure jobs are the only ones with the confidence to take on a new Mortgage.

I wonder which part of Britain has lost least in its housing market.
Old May 23rd 2009, 4:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I reckon Job Security is the primary factor in all of this, those with secure jobs are the only ones with the confidence to take on a new Mortgage.

I wonder which part of Britain has lost least in its housing market.
Yes, job security is key. Most businesses have already cut away their surpluses in terms of employee numbers so it's anyone's guess where things go from here.

I'd say that it's probably the South that has lost and will lose the least. Historically, there was a large difference between house prices in the north and the south but by the end of the boom years it became less pronounced.

Something which I've noticed is there seem to be nowhere near the number of "For Sale" signs outside houses compared with during the last recession. Also, when I look in the property section of the local papers there don't seem to be any more properties for sale than there were a few years ago.

When we put our house on the market, we're expecting prospective buyers to try and undercut our asking price no matter what it is. For that reason, we're considering setting it at somewhere between 10 and 20K more than we want for it.
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hope you sell it quickly Carol, and get the price you want!!
Old May 23rd 2009, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

We put our house up for sale for more than we wanted,but due to shortage of buyers in the market and us living in rural WA( holiday,seaside,fishing village) folks fence sitting, we have lowered our price.Maybe shouldn't have been so greedy initially, but homes cost more to build here than in Perth by around 40%.We want to take as much back to the UK with us as possible as we are in our mid 50s.

Scotland has lower house prices except Aberdeen area and i think Edinburgh and the highlands.Aberdeen prices are holding this is due partly to the oil rig workers.Inverness/highlands are expensive too.We are hoping to live between Aberdeen and Inverness,bit of a bugger but all my family are there!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.