Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong Changeover

Hong Kong Changeover

Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hong Kong Changeover

You can also pay just for the showers rather than the lounge package (I think it was about $HK150).

For the last couple of hours before my flight, I relieved my boredom by using the unlimited free wifi. This is available all over the airport (and you can also find a seat close to a power outlet - they use UK style plugs in HK).
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough

Sorry for jumping on this thread, but can anyone give some advice on how easy it is to get into the city from the airport, and roughly how long it would take? We have about 5 hours stopover in Hong Kong at Christmas and I would love to see a bit of the place if we can, but is it feasible with only 5 hours to spare?
Thanks!
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:06 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buzz
Sorry for jumping on this thread, but can anyone give some advice on how easy it is to get into the city from the airport, and roughly how long it would take? We have about 5 hours stopover in Hong Kong at Christmas and I would love to see a bit of the place if we can, but is it feasible with only 5 hours to spare?
Thanks!
Yep, dead easy on the train.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/t...t-express.html
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by buzz
Thanks!
Hi we flew to Adelaide via HK last May.We also thought about heading into the city but decided not to.The express train can be caught from the airport,easy enough,but we figured by the time we disembarked from the flight from London,through passport control ect,found the train,ect and then returned,keeping in mind the check in time and what not thought it might be more stressful than its worth.I think it could be done,but we were honestly so tired from a night flight,just could'nt muster the energy required.I think though from what I've heard it would be pretty good!We checked into a lounge instead and just chilled out there,had a shower,used the internet ect.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:12 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jopad
Thanks for your replies, we never even considered leaving the airport.
What temperature will it be early october, any ideas where we could take the kids.
Early October is when I used to go there, and iirc it was warm but of course humid.
The transit system from the airport to HK is very good and I dont remember it taking too long, although there was a bit of a walk at the end I think (but you could grab a taxi)
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough

Wow, quick replies! Thanks Seasider and Livinginreality. It looks like it's pretty quick to get the train, I'm just not sure if we'll have much time once we get through immigration. I guess we'll see how tired we are feeling on the day. We had a few hours in Singapore last year and loved it - would really like to spend a few days there next time.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:17 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

The train (MTR) is the easiest way to get around HK; taxis are expensive too.

TBH I would want more than 5 hours to make it worthwhile, unless anybody does the type of in-transit tours that you can get in Singapore.

(Not that I've done one of those.)