Homesickness

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Homesickness

Over the last few weeks I have been reading threads about people that are homesick. We have been here for just over 1 year now and I do not regret the move.

I was brought up in Australia and went back to the UK when I was 25. I met my hubby got married and stayed int he UK for 18 years. I brought my hubby over for a holiday in 2000 and all he could say was "why are we living in the UK"?

Now since we moved here he has become great friends with my brother I have become great friends with my sister-in-lay and I have got to know my 2 neices.
I have realised what I have missed out on.

Me and the hubby have got great friends both got great jos and best of all we have the most fantastic German Sheppart called Elli.

We have had friends to visit who have said we are stupid if we go back to the UK, even my mom who came to visit last month said we have made the right decision.

The moral to my story is to those thinking of going back to the UK remember why you moved here in the first place. It may not be perfect and you are still going to have problems but you wanted to leave the UK, embrace Ausralia like it embraces you.

A very happy
Sunshine23
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

long may it continue, thanks for sharing.
S xx
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

scousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nice

Great post sunshine. Whereabouts on the Gold Coast do you live?

Carol x
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I think that is great & I am really pleased for you!

However, homesickness is not necessarily related to how much effort you have put in to 'embracing' your new life and I think it is rather simplistic to suggest that it is!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scousercarol
Great post sunshine. Whereabouts on the Gold Coast do you live?

Carol x
We live in Merrimac. We found our house by accident when we were driving around. It had a open house we had a lookand signed a contract 1 hour later. Love it and never regretted it.

Sunshine23
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire

However, homesickness is not necessarily related to how much effort you have put in to 'embracing' your new life and I think it is rather simplistic to suggest that it is!
Likewsie not all of us really wanted to leave the UK, so much as we had partners who wanted to live in their home country - Australia. And trust me, after knock back followed by knock back in many areas of my life in Aus, one thing I can say for sure is that it doesn't embrace me - in fact every time I try to get close to it, it pushes me away.

On the other side of the coin though, to the OP, I'm glad its working out for you, and that you are happy here
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

I do not know what you mean. We moved to Australia because it was a better life. We have embraced the eay of life over here. I do not think that itis is simplistic. We have done our best to fit in rather than always saying "This is better and that is better in the UK".

We have found that if you "embrace" the Australian way of life you will find it a lot easier and the Aussies love it because you have chosen to live there way of life.

Sunshine23
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:31 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I started writing a long post saying basically the same but didn't hit submit - mostly because I haven't been homesick myself. You are absolutely correct though. I think you can embrace all you want and still feel 'homesick' - or more likely 'peoplesick'
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:33 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunshine23
I do not know what you mean. We moved to Australia because it was a better life. We have embraced the eay of life over here. I do not think that itis is simplistic. We have done our best to fit in rather than always saying "This is better and that is better in the UK".

We have found that if you "embrace" the Australian way of life you will find it a lot easier and the Aussies love it because you have chosen to live there way of life.

Sunshine23
It's great that you have embraced the Aussie way of like - we feel that we have too. But 'homesickness' is something that no amount of embracing can control. If it hits you, you know about it but there's little you can do to get rid of it. Thankfully you (and I) haven't had to face it but please don't trivialise it.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wmoore
It's great that you have embraced the Aussie way of like - we feel that we have too. But 'homesickness' is something that no amount of embracing can control. If it hits you, you know about it but there's little you can do to get rid of it. Thankfully you (and I) haven't had to face it but please don't trivialise it.
Maybe it is sad because I do not feel homesick. All I am trying to say is remember why you decided to move to Australia in the first place.

Sunshine23
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:43 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I have become great friends with my sister-in-lay
At first I thought that was a typo - then I realised how far the 'y' key is from the 'w' key.

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

Maybe it is sad because I do not feel homesick. All I am trying to say is remember why you decided to move to Australia in the first place.

Sunshine23
Why does this make a difference? You are assuming too much here. People come to Australia for different reasons not just to "live the dream" (Don't you just hate that saying), jobs, family...etc. Some unfortunately are in their words trapped here, again for different reasons, and suffer badly from homesickness. If you are wondering no i do not suffer.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Sunshine23
Unfortunately, if you have the overwhelming feeling that you don't belong, remembering why you left is not going to help.
I think you will find that there are many people who have really made a huge effort to settle but it is just not for everybody!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

People do not seem to realise what I am trying to say so I will not give my opinion anymore.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 3:04 pm
What's happening dudes?

People do not seem to realise what I am trying to say so I will not give my opinion anymore.
Look nobody is having a go at you. People have said they are happy that you are happy and settled. But I think that you don't understand homesickness or are simplifying it a lot. Search on this forum for 'homesick' and read people's stories, then you might understand how debilitating it can be to be so far from 'home', be homesick and feel trapped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.