Homesickness

Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:07 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
Yes...agree with the thing you said about possibility - but there are so many posts/threads on this particular forum that put over it WILL happen ...and I just think that it's not helpful.
Agree - it's become polarised in the Aus forums from what I see on here (when I stay up late!)
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:08 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
Yeah I was really keen.

I think people should be advised there's a possibility they could feel differently to the way they may believe - it could help them stick with it and not rashly go back.

With me it wasn't helped by my son being very upset about the move - I felt terrible and really questioned what I was throwing the kids into.
We nearly went back after 6 months, daughter couldn't settle, she was 13 at the time, now she's flying...
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes...agree with the thing you said about possibility - but there are so many posts/threads on this particular forum that put over it WILL happen ...and I just think that it's not helpful.
Agree. I have been waiting 13 months for the homesickness to kick in and it hasn't yet. Of course it hasn't all been smooth sailing here but I've never had an urge to go back where I came from. I don't understand people saying to expect it. Not everyone will.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by walla
We nearly went back after 6 months, daughter couldn't settle, she was 13 at the time, now she's flying...
Such a hard age to move them - glad she's doing so well
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla
13 is a tough age for a girl. My daughter is 13 and she's just a big bundle of conflicting hormones at the moment. I can't imagine throwing in a cross the world move in too.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

No matter how much research you put into emigrating I'm sure that no one is 100% certain that things will work out for them.
A lot of people can't afford to do a reccie before they come either and can get a bit of a shock when Aus doesn't live up to their expectations.

The first couple of months after you arrive your emotions are all over the place, and little things can suddenly bring on an unexplainable longing for the familiar,, I had a bizarre moment in Bunnings once () I felt like I was in B&Q in the UK and I felt disorientated for hours!!!!

I still miss M&S after a year,, but would I ever go back to live in the UK?? NOPE!! way to many things here that are a million times better than an hour in M&S!!

I think your ability to adapt to new situations will determine how much homesickness you may or may not suffer, obviously people that don't like change will suffer the most,, doesn't mean they'll suffer for ever though
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:17 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
13 is a tough age for a girl. My daughter is 13 and she's just a big bundle of conflicting hormones at the moment. I can't imagine throwing in a cross the world move in too.
We got here at the wrong time, just before the October holidays so she didn't make any connections or friends at first, then before we knew it it was the summer holidays, still no friends. Luckily son took her out with him as he'd just passed his driving test, 6 months of hell, the rest they say is history...
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:17 am
Keeping it fairly real

Originally Posted by Sally
Such a hard age to move them - glad she's doing so well
Ta muchly
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:20 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppett44
No matter how much research you put into emigrating I'm sure that no one is 100% certain that things will work out for them.
A lot of people can't afford to do a reccie before they come either and can get a bit of a shock when Aus doesn't live up to their expectations.

The first couple of months after you arrive your emotions are all over the place, and little things can suddenly bring on an unexplainable longing for the familiar,, I had a bizarre moment in Bunnings once () I felt like I was in B&Q in the UK and I felt disorientated for hours!!!!

I still miss M&S after a year,, but would I ever go back to live in the UK?? NOPE!! way to many things here that are a million times better than an hour in M&S!!

I think your ability to adapt to new situations will determine how much homesickness you may or may not suffer, obviously people that don't like change will suffer the most,, doesn't mean they'll suffer for ever though
You are writing as though 'homesickness' is to be expected !
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Its such a strange feeling and was it really homesickness or just a sudden need for the familiar. I dont know but I just got so fed up with this place but in saying that, I got fed up with the UK and I hadn't moved anywhere. I lay dying in a hospital bed for 6 weeks and still didn't want to go home so why this sudden yearning for home at that particular time. The only thing I miss about home (apart from cheese and onion and all that kind of stuff) is my people. Not everybody, just close family who I could pop in and see when I felt like it. Ok, they're on the end of a phone but it aint the same but I couldn't honestly see myself going home unless I was on the floor in a ball screaming. Here's hoping that never happens.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

You are writing as though 'homesickness' is to be expected !
I didn't mean for it to come across that way! I just don't believe that you can "choose" to not get homesickness, as the strangest things can bring it on for what seem like daft reasons!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac
Its such a strange feeling and was it really homesickness or just a sudden need for the familiar. I dont know but I just got so fed up with this place but in saying that, I got fed up with the UK and I hadn't moved anywhere. I lay dying in a hospital bed for 6 weeks and still didn't want to go home so why this sudden yearning for home at that particular time. The only thing I miss about home (apart from cheese and onion and all that kind of stuff) is my people. Not everybody, just close family who I could pop in and see when I felt like it. Ok, they're on the end of a phone but it aint the same but I couldn't honestly see myself going home unless I was on the floor in a ball screaming. Here's hoping that never happens.

Was your homesick feeling for people or the place though?

I think there is a big difference in missing someone and wanting to go back.

For instance if you went back just because you wanted to pop down your mates house, then you'd also want to come straight back here once you'd seen them.

Missing the place means that you wouldn't want to come back here.

Does that make sense?

It's probably hard for those of us who haven't felt like that to understand what 'homesickness' is really.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:34 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

You know what, even after 3.5 years here I am still feeling as unsettled as I did when I landed.

I don't believe it's anything to do with mindset at all; I have worked my butt off trying to settle. I CANNOT do anything more. I WANTED to make this work. I can see how fantastic life is for my kids. I can see how relaxed my Hubby is everyday. I can see all of the good things that are here, believe me.

Homesickness, and people sickness, hits you like a tonne of bricks. I don't understand why it affected me in this way. I am not one of those people who was extremely close to my family. I only have a very small family who we would only see once every few weeks, if that. Don't get me wrong I love them dearly, but never felt the need to be with them every day.

I am also not one of those people that have never left the town they were born in. I left home at 18 to work at a holiday camp as a Red Coat, moved around quite a bit after that, so I've never clung onto my roots. I've always thrived on spontaneity and adventure and never been afraid to try new things.

So why did it effect me? I haven't got a damn clue. I wish I did, then I could find the answer and change it, and YES, I would stay in Australia because this is where my kids and husband are happy. But, this life I'm living here is making me ill. I am now doped up to the eyeballs on anti-depressants some days I find it hard to function. I never felt like this before I came here. I feel like a pathetic failure when I read posts like the OP's. No offence to you and the others who've settled, but I just want to scream "Why did you settle and I can't?"

So please don't judge me, or anyone else that suffers with this *ucking awful feeling, because, believe me, I would give anything to settle in Australia.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:35 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppett44
I didn't mean for it to come across that way! I just don't believe that you can "choose" to not get homesickness, as the strangest things can bring it on for what seem like daft reasons!
ok

And I agree ....
I've been here a long time now, and know I haven't ...but feel for those applying for Visas who read that they will !
It's a fraught enough time as it is, without others putting negative thoughts in peoples head.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 7:36 am
Account Closed

For me it was a panic about so many things to sort out and realising I didn't know a soul to call on - when we were evacuated due to fires we had to go to a Red Cross Station - I think my mind just wanted an escape and to 'put things right'. Of course the objecive reality is different to what your mind is telling you in that state. Slowly by meeting people and figuring out how things work (or don't) here I can be objective. Nowhere is Paradise and quality of life very much depends on your attitude. I don't crave going back now - but I do feel the need to meet British people some of the time! And watch Poirot!

Our families have reacted by blaming our leaving for any shortcomings in their lives - they are no longer any 'pull' for us to go back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.