Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Holden to pull out of Australia

Holden to pull out of Australia

Old Dec 11th 2013, 11:52 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holden to pull out of Australia

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It's sad to see Holden close but it's a myth to see them as an Australian car maker, let alone an icon

Holden was bought by GM in the '30s - long before a car had ever been produced by them. Holden built its first car in 1948 - based on a design that had been rejected by GM for the US market. So a foreign designed car built by a US company in Australia

It's not an Australian car manufacturer, and never has been

The thing I find strange is that the Commodore is seen by the Aussie public as an Australian car, yet the Toyota Camry is seen as Japanese

Bizarre
Doesnt happen often but I totally agree.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:34 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by berserk
Whilst it's sad to see people losing jobs, it's good we finally stop subsidising losing businesses.

This is a good article to read: http://www.smh.com.au/business/comme...211-2z63t.html
+1

i'm sure abbott already knew this days ago...
I'm sure he did.

the decision was made in Detroit, not Canberra.
Yep.

----

Holden is a bit like that old much loved car but which has long ago become just an expensive keepsake, and which if the truth be accepted will only ever be that. Australia might as well cut it's losses and move on. A bit sad for those who have always known it and even more so for those whose livelihoods depend on it. Reminds me of the many old icons in the UK whose time has passed. Nothing is forever.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

It'll clear the decks , and not before time , lets hope Toyboata hops it as well.

There's close on of a million cars sold each year , counting 'demonstrators' , in Australia , it's just not a huge market .

I don't give a flying fart how fragmented the market is , let the damn manufacturers fight it out , it may occur to them that perhaps producing 10 variants of the same model every year isn't common sense ??

There's a 4 year wind down time which should surely give everyone time to get set , it'd be about the longest notice time I've ever heard of.

These are just a few random thoughts which I thought I'd throw in the ring--as you do---

Old Dec 12th 2013, 5:37 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to say as far as Toyota goes, they say they are fine but then say they need to slash $3600 from the cost of manufacturing a car. They say they are in for the long haul but Holden said they planned to continue past 2022. As someone else on here said, time will tell.
Old Dec 12th 2013, 10:56 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chris955
I have only ever owned 1 Holden but it was actually a rebadged Mazda.

Chris, which model Holden was this? It was my understanding that Ford did the rebadgeing deal with Mazda: Laser/323; Telstar/626 etc
Old Dec 12th 2013, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

berserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by aries
I made many journeys between Adelaide . . . and Hobart
It does go under water!
Old Dec 12th 2013, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

It does go under water!
Ah, only when it rained, otherwise the ferry to Tassie was a good choice
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

berserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of light

Well, now that the carmakers are gone, we can move forward...

It's sad to see people lose jobs, but I agree it's a painful part of economic restructuring we need.

"Doomsday forecasts tend to make a couple of regular mistakes that are certainly in evidence today"
http://www.smh.com.au/business/comme...211-32fcm.html

"it's plain that a car manufacturing industry is not necessary for a prosperous modern economy"
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/both-p...527-2n7ge.html
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's sad to see people lose jobs, but I agree it's a painful part of economic restructuring we need.

"Doomsday forecasts tend to make a couple of regular mistakes that are certainly in evidence today"

"it's plain that a car manufacturing industry is not necessary for a prosperous modern economy"
Hopefully the government will now drop the luxury car tax
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:23 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Hopefully the government will now drop the luxury car tax

I was thinking the same thing. And the ridiculous restrictions on personal car imports. With no industry to protect, there's really no need for protectionist policies.

S
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

2 good articles

We can favourable compare ourselves to Norway - they also don't make cars. What they do make is really good weapons systems - we should start doing the same

There may be a recession sometime in the future (in fact it's inevitable. Chris will have an even bigger grin the day it's announced) but our economy will continue to grow and we as a nation will get wealthier. Our GDP, per capita GDP and HDI will still be very high, and apart from GDP will always be ahead of the UK
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I was thinking the same thing. And the ridiculous restrictions on personal car imports. With no industry to protect, there's really no need for protectionist policies.

S
Yep
Old Feb 11th 2014, 1:07 pm
Banned

The second statement is like someone losing their job and saying 'oh well it wasnt a very good job anyway, who needs it ?' I dont recall anyone saying you cant be prosperous without a car manufacturing industry but to have one and totally lose it within a couple of years is not good.
The point is that the Unions are destroying manufacturing. When Toyota negotiated with the Unions to try and change things for the better the Unions said no and that basically the car maker was just trying to call their bluff. Well we all know how that worked out.
The day after Australia Day apparently more than 20% of the Toyota workforce were 'sick'. This was supposed to have been the straw that broke the camels back.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:07 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

The second statement is like someone losing their job and saying 'oh well it wasnt a very good job anyway, who needs it ?' I dont recall anyone saying you cant be prosperous without a car manufacturing industry but to have one and totally lose it within a couple of years is not good.
The point is that the Unions are destroying manufacturing. When Toyota negotiated with the Unions to try and change things for the better the Unions said no and that basically the car maker was just trying to call their bluff. Well we all know how that worked out.
The day after Australia Day apparently more than 20% of the Toyota workforce were 'sick'. This was supposed to have been the straw that broke the camels back.
I heard a news report that talked about that Australia day incident. They said that it had occurred on a Thursday so that wasn't this year. The only reference seems to be from 2012 - http://www.afr.com/p/national/an_ext...2RpjUoyftBhnMM and overall, Australian workers absenteeism at that time was lower than some countries (although that data seems to come from a 2005 report)
Old Feb 12th 2014, 1:04 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-1...turing/5254334

Mr Hockey today said that Toyota Australia president Max Yasuda raised concerns with him about the generous conditions during a private conversation last year.
Toyota has released a statement saying it has never blamed unions for its decision to close, in either public or private conversations with stakeholders.
So it's no good repeating coalition talking points - they've been pointed up as liars on the matter several times now.

The key issue appears to be the exchange rate - who would have thought that a 40% worsening in exchange rate would have mattered so much .....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.