Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

HELP! I THINK I HAVE MADE A MISTAKE!

HELP! I THINK I HAVE MADE A MISTAKE!

Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of
Default HELP! I THINK I HAVE MADE A MISTAKE!

I started a new job yesterday - and i really don't think its right 4 me- its a tiny company and is run by a husband and wife just 4 other employees - they are all very nice, but i just don't think that the jobs for me- I feel that I should just leave now but my family are saying give it time - but I don't want the small company to waste anymore money printing business cards insuring cars for me etc! How do I get out of this one!In the UK I worked for BT since I left uni and loved being in a corporate environment. This is such a change don't think i can handle it - i feel i should tell them today before i waste my time and theirs but dont know how to!!!!!!!

Last edited by emmyjc1; Sep 12th 2007 at 12:56 am.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP! I THINK I HAVE MADE A MISTAKE!

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
I started a new job yesterday - and i really don't think its right 4 me- its a tiny company and is run by a husband and wife just 4 other employees - they are all very nice, but i just don't think that the jobs for me- I fell that I should just leave now but my family are saying give it time - but I don't want the small company to waste anymore money printing business cards insuring cars for me etc! How do I get out of this one!In the UK I worked for BT since I left uni and loved being in a corporate environment. This is such a change don't think i can handle it - i feel i should tell them today before i waste my time and theirs but dont know how to!!!!!!!

Act in haste - repent in leisure - sleep on it
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

I know how you feel I went to an interview yesterday and left with a Staff Induction DVD, a mountain of forms to complete for HR and been sent for a blood test to check my immunisations are up to scratch (it's a job in education) I don't remember them actually offering me a job and I certainly didn't accept anything. Thing is I don't think I want it after sleeping on it.

I think sasbear is right and you might feel differently after a week or so but sometimes your gut instint is right.

If you're in a position where you don't need the job (income etc) then I say tell them. But things could look very different after working there for a few weeks.

Sorry that isn't much help is it
Old Sep 12th 2007, 7:57 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

I started a new job yesterday - and i really don't think its right 4 me- its a tiny company and is run by a husband and wife just 4 other employees - they are all very nice, but i just don't think that the jobs for me- I feel that I should just leave now but my family are saying give it time - but I don't want the small company to waste anymore money printing business cards insuring cars for me etc! How do I get out of this one!In the UK I worked for BT since I left uni and loved being in a corporate environment. This is such a change don't think i can handle it - i feel i should tell them today before i waste my time and theirs but dont know how to!!!!!!!
I say trust your instincts-if it really doesn't feel right now it may never-you may grow to tolerate it (which is enough for some) but it sounds like you're looking for something long term that you'll actually enjoy.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

how easy would it be to get another job? if not that easy then maybe stick with it for a while... also will look better on your CV if you stick it out rather than jack it in after a couple of days.

that said, life is too short so if you really REALLY cant stand it then maybe its best to quit now

sorry, sounds like i am sitting on the fence but really only YOU can decide in the end...

Good luck and k on its way
Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Why not stay in it until you have something better to go to?
Looks better on your CV to have consecutive jobs, any income is always better than none, you never know you may grow to like it - what will you do instead?
Or if you hate it then quit now! Only you know what you really want to do.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:04 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

This is a small family firm isn't it

why not go and talk to them openly say you have only worked for large firms in the past and although you like them you are not sure you will settle so please can you have a 6 month trial period as you really don't want them to be any further out of pocket.

Their reaction to that might just define whether you want to stay or leave and it gives you a breathing space
Old Sep 12th 2007, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Give it a go, you have nothing to lose.

If it isnt for you, do your best whilst you are there, and start looking for something else. It is a lot easier to get another job when you are in employment, than when you are unemployed.

It wont cost much for the business cards, and the insurance has to be paid whoever works there, so stop feeling guilty
Old Sep 17th 2007, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by auspal
Give it a go, you have nothing to lose.

If it isnt for you, do your best whilst you are there, and start looking for something else. It is a lot easier to get another job when you are in employment, than when you are unemployed.

It wont cost much for the business cards, and the insurance has to be paid whoever works there, so stop feeling guilty
Thanks everyone for your replies I told them today that its not right for me so won't be going back - I just knew I wouldn't be happy there - he was quiet disappointed. Hopefully I won't regret it now. I think im going to look in for a total change of career and go for a job thats not in a office all day. God i'm hopeless with things like this.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your replies I told them today that its not right for me so won't be going back - I just knew I wouldn't be happy there - he was quiet disappointed. Hopefully I won't regret it now. I think im going to look in for a total change of career and go for a job thats not in a office all day. God i'm hopeless with things like this.
I think you're under-confident and don't really understand your true worth.

They employed you, so they saw something good in you, and so I'm really sorry you left. I can understand his disappointment.

But if you need a job, Emmy, go for something you love to do... career advice is always out there.

Good luck chick.