Hello from Perth.

Old Jun 2nd 2007, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hello from Perth.

Hi,
we are currently debating where to live in Oz (wont go in to it!!!) i was just wondering if you could give me an idea on a few places that would be nice for a family to buy their 1st house in your neck of the woods!!

I will then do some research and put the rumours of it being too expensive,boring etc.... to the test

Cheers Zo
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UpperWoopWoop
Whats a toploader & a front loader ? We dont have that much sand.
Oh you mean washing machines? I use a twin tub myself and then put it through the mangle to squeeze out the last drop.
And my carpet sweeper gets all the mess out of the house fine.

Thanks for the welcome...

Do I leave my flat rock and stream in the uk or bring it with me ?
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 2:38 pm
Upper Woop Woop

UpperWoopWoop will become famous soon enough

Hi,
we are currently debating where to live in Oz (wont go in to it!!!) i was just wondering if you could give me an idea on a few places that would be nice for a family to buy their 1st house in your neck of the woods!!

I will then do some research and put the rumours of it being too expensive,boring etc.... to the test

Cheers Zo
Well its kind of like buying a car. You buy a car for many different reasons, and to suit many different needs. Your style and budget also comes into play. If I was moving here I would rent for a year or two, get settled with a job etc and by then would have seen many different suburbs and areas and would have a much better idea where to live.

The places in Perth are so many and varied that I couldnt possibly give you a good enough idea on any of them.

The coastal suburbs are becoming very expensive and very spread out. They now extend from Butler in the north to way south past Mandurah, although many from the UK like these beach suburbs. Out towards the hills you have your bush suburbs with lots of bush & trees which is lovely in winter - a bit dry & hot in summer.
Then there are the suburbs inbetween the coast & hills which are very varied too.

Perth used to be one of the cheaper cities to buy a house, but we have just had (are still having) a housing / land boom. As an example, 8 years ago we bought some land for $75,000. Its now valued at $400,000. Perth is spreading out along the coast at a very fast rate. The boom will end but I dont think it will be one of the cheapest places to buy land & houses.

Do you get any Perth newspapers where you are? or any Australian newspapers?

Catherine
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 2:42 pm
Upper Woop Woop

Originally Posted by eddie007
Do I leave my flat rock and stream in the uk or bring it with me ?

No flat rocks are prized posessions here, there's so much sand... see??
Bring your wooden bucket though!

Catherine
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

jerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud ofjerzo has much to be proud of

Well its kind of like buying a car. You buy a car for many different reasons, and to suit many different needs. Your style and budget also comes into play. If I was moving here I would rent for a year or two, get settled with a job etc and by then would have seen many different suburbs and areas and would have a much better idea where to live.

The places in Perth are so many and varied that I couldnt possibly give you a good enough idea on any of them.

The coastal suburbs are becoming very expensive and very spread out. They now extend from Butler in the north to way south past Mandurah, although many from the UK like these beach suburbs. Out towards the hills you have your bush suburbs with lots of bush & trees which is lovely in winter - a bit dry & hot in summer.
Then there are the suburbs inbetween the coast & hills which are very varied too.

Perth used to be one of the cheaper cities to buy a house, but we have just had (are still having) a housing / land boom. As an example, 8 years ago we bought some land for $75,000. Its now valued at $400,000. Perth is spreading out along the coast at a very fast rate. The boom will end but I dont think it will be one of the cheapest places to buy land & houses.

Do you get any Perth newspapers where you are? or any Australian newspapers?

Catherine
Thanks for all the info Catherine,
I will have a look on the net for some of WAs' newspapers as well as being constantly on realestate .com.au!!!! (cue loads of headaches) I know what you mean about prices, we have watched from a far unable to do anything as we awaited our visas which we finally have (Discovering this is'nt for the fainthearted!!) Fab news for you and your plot of land

Zoe

Last edited by jerzo; Jun 2nd 2007 at 3:21 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:33 pm
Upper Woop Woop

Originally Posted by jerzo
Thanks for all the info Catherine,
I will have a look on the net for some of WAs' newspapers as well as being constantly on realestate .com.au!!!! (cue loads of headaches) I know what you mean about prices, we have watched from a far unable to do anything as we awaited our visas which we finally have (Discovering this is'nt for the fainthearted!!) Fab news for you and your plot of land

Zoe
Do you have work lined up here at all? That may make a difference to where you buy.
If you want me to get any information - brochures etc & mail them on - just let me know.
I couldnt work out from your first post whether you where interested in Perth or if your still just in the looking all over kind of mode.

Catherine
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Do you have work lined up here at all? That may make a difference to where you buy.
If you want me to get any information - brochures etc & mail them on - just let me know.
I couldnt work out from your first post whether you where interested in Perth or if your still just in the looking all over kind of mode.

Catherine
I have put a brief c.v on a few job websites and get updates daily and it upholds all the beliefs that they do want bricklayers over there in Perth, ideally we would hope to have at the least a few meetings lined up with local building firms to coincide with us moving.

we have been planning this for 2 yrs and were all Perth completely, totally decided but when the Visas came it got really real !!! and we wanted to make sure where it was we wanted to go ( i have'nt waivered,except for the rise in house prices!!) Thanks Zo x
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 4:00 pm
Upper Woop Woop

and it upholds all the beliefs that they do want bricklayers over there in Perth x
That is an understatement!
Because of the housing boom they often run short. Some houses are taking up to 9-12 months to get built.

Sometimes people say Perth is boring, but I think its what you make of it. There are many touristy things to do, there are pubs & clubs, there is entertainment from overseas, but its usually on a smaller scale. Perth is certainly quieter than the Eastern States.

Catherine
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

That is an understatement!
Because of the housing boom they often run short. Some houses are taking up to 9-12 months to get built.

Sometimes people say Perth is boring, but I think its what you make of it. There are many touristy things to do, there are pubs & clubs, there is entertainment from overseas, but its usually on a smaller scale. Perth is certainly quieter than the Eastern States.

Catherine
well it all sound perfect for us! I cant stand big,brash cities or towns so I think we'll love it and we want a great outdoors life for the 4 boys..... you'll have to let me know the frequency of spider/snake sightings!! im not too bothered , but theres obviously many more there than here and the fact they are deadly is quite scary!! Oh god im onto an entirely different subject now!! Thanks Catherine,
Zoe
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 4:23 pm
Upper Woop Woop

well it all sound perfect for us! I cant stand big,brash cities or towns so I think we'll love it and we want a great outdoors life for the 4 boys..... you'll have to let me know the frequency of spider/snake sightings!! im not too bothered , but theres obviously many more there than here and the fact they are deadly is quite scary!! Oh god im onto an entirely different subject now!! Thanks Catherine,
Zoe

Well....

I live on a small property of about 9 acres, which is treed.
We have rabbits, foxes & kangaroos running around.

I have never seen a snake in 8 years (mind I dont go purposely looking - you understand!) I see spiders, I see redbacks I see ANTS, if they become a problem I spray them. I dont put bare hands into the woodpile or the garden.

I have never seen a snake in the suburbs, spiders yes but nothing HUGE or hungry, and the can of spray works well. Again, you dont go putting your hands into their area when you know you shouldnt and when you start to see lots of egg cases & webs you spray & get rid of them.
We get bugs like any warm country - but its not horrifying.

Think of it this way - you will understand having had four children. Remember before you had your first? Remember the horror stories about childbirth you where told by other mothers? Well its kind of like that - never really as bad as they tell you theirs was.

Catherine
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 5:16 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

how much are bananas ?
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well....

I live on a small property of about 9 acres, which is treed.
We have rabbits, foxes & kangaroos running around.

I have never seen a snake in 8 years (mind I dont go purposely looking - you understand!) I see spiders, I see redbacks I see ANTS, if they become a problem I spray them. I dont put bare hands into the woodpile or the garden.

I have never seen a snake in the suburbs, spiders yes but nothing HUGE or hungry, and the can of spray works well. Again, you dont go putting your hands into their area when you know you shouldnt and when you start to see lots of egg cases & webs you spray & get rid of them.
We get bugs like any warm country - but its not horrifying.

Think of it this way - you will understand having had four children. Remember before you had your first? Remember the horror stories about childbirth you where told by other mothers? Well its kind of like that - never really as bad as they tell you theirs was.

Catherine
I know exactly what you mean,
its just the amount of people that say "oh i could never live there,all the spiders and snakes'' i'll have a great comeback now after what you've told me. They'll have to think of something else!!!
I will however take note and not go rummaging anywhere with bare hands !

I dont think that you live on a 'small' property either it sound HUGE! im browsing all real estate WA at the moment, quite promising

Zoe :-)