Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

having second thoughts

having second thoughts

Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: having second thoughts

In 2006, I moved to Bermuda, it is perhaps not quite the same as moving to Australia, as Bermuda does not give out permanent residency and it is all about the job, however we did sell up and move lock stock and barrel.

It didn't work out how we hoped. We found it an unfriendly, cliquey place and there was not a lot to do. I did not make any long lasting friends and my boss was a shocking bully who made my life hell.

Do I regret going there though? Not for one second. I will never think I would have been better off not going in the first place.

I know it is a cliche, but if I had not gone I would never know and I would be forever wondering. I am back now and none the worse for the experience. I was delighted to leave Bermuda and could not wait to get back to UK, but it was not long before we decided to think about moving again.

Having said all that. I actually think it takes a lot more courage to stop and say "no, I don't want to do this" or "I don't want to do this right now" than it does to actually go through with it. Once you have started the immigration process and told people of your plans it is an unstopable juggernaut in a sense.

So whilst I know I feel better for having given it a try, I don't think you should go through with something you are not comfortable with because you feel you should as you have come this far or you are worried what people may think about you wasting time, money and effort in getting the visa.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:31 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
My gut feeling said 'don't go', but we still went because like others have said 'you will never know'.
My gut was right.
Similar story, I guess, for me too. I knew deep down that I didn't want to go to Australia to live but we did anyway. Having an Aussie wife didn't exactly help.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 9:34 pm
Banned

willamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond reputewillamos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
If you've just sold your house and you think the Australian experiment will be too hard right now, you should seriously consider moving to somewhere else in the UK and waiting to see how you feel at a later stage. You may conclude that you are happier in the UK and Australia is just a nice holiday destination.
That's essentially what my thoughts were about coming to Australia. Aussie wife had other ideas!
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

perth bound is on a distinguished road

Perth bound is back on the rollacoster!

I don't post often, but log on and read all the time.

After pulling out of our house sale last year because we got cold
feet about our move to Perth, here we are again.

After the initial pulling out we felt relief, but this was quickly replaced by regret,..what if.??

The thing is we have a good life here, love my house, great family and friends close by, we are not running away from anything. But having been to Perth and loved it, we think its where we want to be.

I think it is meant to be, we have now sold our house straightaway (again), and in these uncertain times in the UK I appreciate how lucky I am.

Anyway the purpose of this post is that there must be other people having second thoughts as we did, but I think once you have started, it just doesnt go away!

This site has been fab, I love reading the posts good and bad.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

I have felt like that all day today. Hvaing sold the house after months of trying and being within touching distance of what we have dreamt of for 3 years i have just sat talking to the OH all evening about all the "What if's". But i know we HAVE to do it to see if its for us. It makes it easier for me as half my family are there. Good luck!
Emma
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 12:19 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perth bound
Perth bound is back on the rollacoster!

I don't post often, but log on and read all the time.

After pulling out of our house sale last year because we got cold
feet about our move to Perth, here we are again.

After the initial pulling out we felt relief, but this was quickly replaced by regret,..what if.??

The thing is we have a good life here, love my house, great family and friends close by, we are not running away from anything. But having been to Perth and loved it, we think its where we want to be.

I think it is meant to be, we have now sold our house straightaway (again), and in these uncertain times in the UK I appreciate how lucky I am.

Anyway the purpose of this post is that there must be other people having second thoughts as we did, but I think once you have started, it just doesnt go away!

This site has been fab, I love reading the posts good and bad.
Very true. Impossible to let go of the dream . Good luck with your move . For my family and I, after a "wobble" late last year we've got back on board with our plans and depart at the end of October. Tickets are booked and everythings set in motion so there's no turning back now!
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

perth bound is on a distinguished road

Thought it was all done and dusted, house sold due to complete 30.11.09 but
we are both having second thoughts.

Its everything, exchange rates crap, house prices gone up since we visited last year. Keep reading negative posts about cost of living in Perth, and Perth in general. My eldest son who is 12 doesn't want to go, the younger 2 would be happy anywhere

When we were in Perth for our reccie we thought this is it, this is where we want to be, but now I just dont know.

Half of me thinks as I'm not 100 per cent I should pull out, and the other half thinks sod it give it a go.

Another sleepless night I guess......
....and that was Nov 2009....roll on a year....my hubby landed in Perth couple of days ago, I go in 3 weeks. Still an emotional rollacoaster, exchange rate still crap, basically nothing really changed but we just couldn't stop talking about it, so we thought go for it, we sold house again and got back on the rollacoaster!
am on count down at work, its getting exciting now

This site has been a great help even though I don't post alot. thanks everyone! Deb x
Old Oct 15th 2010, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

....and that was Nov 2009....roll on a year....my hubby landed in Perth couple of days ago, I go in 3 weeks. Still an emotional rollacoaster, exchange rate still crap, basically nothing really changed but we just couldn't stop talking about it, so we thought go for it, we sold house again and got back on the rollacoaster!

This site has been a great help even though I don't post alot. thanks everyone! Deb x
good luck with your move Deb, I'm sure you'll be just fine
Old Oct 15th 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck, we fly tomorrow!

emma x
Old Oct 16th 2010, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

spf50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought it was all done and dusted, house sold due to complete 30.11.09 but
we are both having second thoughts.

Its everything, exchange rates crap, house prices gone up since we visited last year. Keep reading negative posts about cost of living in Perth, and Perth in general. My eldest son who is 12 doesn't want to go, the younger 2 would be happy anywhere

When we were in Perth for our reccie we thought this is it, this is where we want to be, but now I just dont know.

Half of me thinks as I'm not 100 per cent I should pull out, and the other half thinks sod it give it a go.

Another sleepless night I guess......
I have my residents visa and had an offer of a good job. However, I have decided not to go to Australia at this time as I think chances are it would be wealth destructing. The exchange rate and house prices are at an all time high and by balance of probability it can't continue. China could be in for severe slow down and that could stuff the Aussie economy.

I'd feel really stupid to move to Oz and see the Aussie dollar tank 30% (which it did in 2008) or even worse compund it by buying a house in Oz.

My advice is to wait a year or so, thats what I am doing anyway.