Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

having second thoughts

having second thoughts

Old Nov 7th 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: having second thoughts

Originally Posted by perth bound
Thought it was all done and dusted, house sold due to complete 30.11.09 but
we are both having second thoughts.

Its everything, exchange rates crap, house prices gone up since we visited last year. Keep reading negative posts about cost of living in Perth, and Perth in general. My eldest son who is 12 doesn't want to go, the younger 2 would be happy anywhere

When we were in Perth for our reccie we thought this is it, this is where we want to be, but now I just dont know.

Half of me thinks as I'm not 100 per cent I should pull out, and the other half thinks sod it give it a go.

Another sleepless night I guess......
This is a tough one... is it nerves, or is it your gut? My personal belief is that it is probably only worth moving here IF you are sure that you want what Australia has to offer.... and I say that as a ping ponger! You have to have a very postive attitude to begin with, as sometimes you have to put real hard yards in to make the move work... if you feel the way you do, maybe you should spend the money you have saved and move to a nicer area in the UK.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 12:44 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Some winners will be people who bought in Perth 4 years ago and returning now.

I thought house prices had really dropped in Perth?

To the OP, If your in no hurry why not hold off till at least the exchange rate/ housing market settles? Get through xmas have a look in the new year?
the older kids never want to come..lets face it in a couple of years the 12 YO won't wanna get out of bed! Thats normal....
Old Nov 7th 2009, 1:29 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
If you've just sold your house and you think the Australian experiment will be too hard right now, you should seriously consider moving to somewhere else in the UK and waiting to see how you feel at a later stage. You may conclude that you are happier in the UK and Australia is just a nice holiday destination.
I did this and I now live in a great place.... but I still have the the itch, that hasn't gone away although it's not nearly as itchy as it was.
I still long for the adventure of living on the other side of the world for a while, I'm just not sure I'd want it forever.

I certainly won't do it until the exchange rate makes it a better bet. I don't think my life will improve by me being poorer.

Last edited by Kapri; Nov 7th 2009 at 1:35 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs

I thought house prices had really dropped in Perth?
If they had bought long enough ago, even with the recent drop, the favourable FX rate might make their equity look good. I'm tipping.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 3:38 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

This kind of dilemma is a head versus heart thing. At the moment my head is winning but the heart is protesting
Old Nov 7th 2009, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Yes, but this is just your opinion. Many agree with you, many believe moving to Australia is the best thing they ever did, and they love it here. There is nothing magic to you here, but I find magic every day - just walking my dogs along the beach is magical.
I did not say that people would not think it the best thing they ever did, I was just saying that it is just another country it doesnt have unicorns pottering down the end of every street - although from some reports they do seem to believe that. It is just another place which does not confer anything on you that could not, with similar efforts be achieved elsewhere and without trekking to the other side of the world. If beaches are your thing then I can think of many in UK that would be equally impressive and dramatic. Ditto wildlife, cities, countryside. It is a first world country with all the benefits accruing to first world countries with different weather and a different landscape, nothing magic about it.

Magic, sometimes known as sorcery, is the practice of consciousness manipulation and/or autosuggestion to achieve a desired result (quote) - as compared with reality which is what is actually out there.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

lilly07 will become famous soon enough

i understand this... in 7 weeks i am due to leave the uk, i will miss my family, i will miss my friends... my life though is hard.... and although i know it wont be easy the transition and i am going to somewhere remote which is even more crazy for me... i know like many if i dont do it i will regret it... i want a better life for my child and feel thats what i may get... and i like the sun... oz is the uk but a bit behind... a lot warmer... and you still have to work hard... i am lucky as i have family there also... and i have been out a few times so know what i am getting myself into...

Please try it, your brtish you can come home... if you dont like perth go somewhere else... australia is a big country...
Old Nov 8th 2009, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

perth bound is on a distinguished road

Thank you everyone for all the comments, I know there is no real answer to my dilema, however, we have decided to put our plans to move to Perth on hold.

On hold till when, who knows, but I do feel relieved to have finally made a decision, don't know if its the right one, but it means the immediate stresses are gone.

Gonna enjoy christmas and revisit everything in the new year.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of

Hi
Just joined, read this forum, really interesting.
In the process of thinking about going to Australia, getting TRA done, at moment.
It has made me think , from both sides, i have enjoyed it thank you.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

the only thing that is a shame now is by having second thought and not going through with it,
A: you have spent alot of time and money for nothing
B: you have now taken a visa that could have gone to someone desperate to start a new life out there.

I know until a few weeks ago if I had read this I would have been upset as I was desperate for my visa and had tried many ways to get it... I just wanted a new life and to be with family... by having a visa you have a great opportunity and to not go with it means someone else has missed out as there are only so many allocated.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lilly07
the only thing that is a shame now is by having second thought and not going through with it,
A: you have spent alot of time and money for nothing
B: you have now taken a visa that could have gone to someone desperate to start a new life out there.

I know until a few weeks ago if I had read this I would have been upset as I was desperate for my visa and had tried many ways to get it... I just wanted a new life and to be with family... by having a visa you have a great opportunity and to not go with it means someone else has missed out as there are only so many allocated.

I think that is a bit harsh.
A: its my time and its my money and I can spend it how I like. Its not for nothing. I have not said I am not going to use the visa, simply its on hold. They give you 5 years to use it, and for good reason, not everyone can go immediately its issued.

B: I have not taken a visa from anyone, as I do intend to use it, just not yet.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:05 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

A: its my time and its my money and I can spend it how I like. Its not for nothing. I have not said I am not going to use the visa, simply its on hold. They give you 5 years to use it, and for good reason, not everyone can go immediately its issued.

In this life you have to put yourself first and noone else. Visa allocation or not, you paid for it, you did the paperwork and put the hard yards in, it is your choice to move - or not.

Do what is right for you, and you have taken some of the pressure off - you have plenty of time so gather your thoughts and make your plans to live your life the way you want to.

The right decision will come to you and you will know what to do for the best.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

I was not meaning it in a harsh way i think you have read it wrong..... I was simply saying if you dont use it its a shame as you have spent a lot of your time and money on it to get it.... (i dont class that as harsh)
Also I dont think it wrong to mention thats its a shame you dont want to use it right now as some others may really be desperate to get out and would have used it in this years allocation.....

Why is it harsh to just point out that also??? I am not saying that you have done anything wrong I am just saying wat a pity that you now are having second thoughts....

Maybe your just feeling a little stressed still as it really wasn't ment in a offensive manner just a observation....
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lilly07
I was not meaning it in a harsh way i think you have read it wrong..... I was simply saying if you dont use it its a shame as you have spent a lot of your time and money on it to get it.... (i dont class that as harsh)
Also I dont think it wrong to mention thats its a shame you dont want to use it right now as some others may really be desperate to get out and would have used it in this years allocation.....

Why is it harsh to just point out that also??? I am not saying that you have done anything wrong I am just saying wat a pity that you now are having second thoughts....

Maybe your just feeling a little stressed still as it really wasn't ment in a offensive manner just a observation....
No I'm not stressed anymore. Ok maybe you didn't mean it negatively, it just came across like that. I still don't feel like I've taken anyones visa, its mine and I still want it. It is a shame that we are not going out this side of christmas especially when everything was in place, but you never know whats round the corner to thwart your plans, even the best thought out plans can change. My plans were very well thought out right from the beginning, I did all the application myself and put in hours of work doing it,
I was thrilled to bits when we got it, and still am. Right up to this wkend, everything was gone thru in great detail, this site has been so helpful in that respect. We have sold many of our possessions and we thought we were ready to go, things have changed to stop us in our tracks. When the time comes, and its right, all those things won't have been done in vain, it just means there will less to do.

Good luck to you and your plans, hope it all works out.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

I am glad you see i was not being harsh, (i must type in an agreesive way without realising) and like i said I totally understand the fear factor of it all... and I hope one day you will decide you had made a good choice and maybe will end up in oz... maybe after another winter in blighty you will decide to just go to get a good old tan...

best wishes to you also... i find a beer helps me to sort my head...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.