Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Had any one taken there gun?

Had any one taken there gun?

Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough
Default Had any one taken there gun?

Ive asked before but cant find the answers, I now have my visa and want to take my guns, can I show my certificate and get a fire arm certificate in oz if I join a club?
Thanks
ronnie
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Had any one taken there gun?

Originally Posted by ronnie98
Ive asked before but cant find the answers, I now have my visa and want to take my guns, can I show my certificate and get a fire arm certificate in oz if I join a club?
Thanks
ronnie
We welcome all americans to our shores
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fish.01
We welcome all americans to our shores
Im in the UK
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Im in the UK
Sorry, just a bad joke

Each state has different gun registration laws I think....for example here's the relevant web page for moving to queensland - http://www.police.qld.gov.au/program...rmOverseas.htm

Edit: You're going to Vic? Here's the Vic page: http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content...ocument_ID=219 (See Import Permits)

Last edited by fish.01; Aug 30th 2009 at 3:12 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
ronnie
I doubt it, but something in this might help you contact the relevant authority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
I doubt it, but something in this might help you contact the relevant authority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Australia
If you search this forum you will find several threads where people have imported firearms
Old Aug 30th 2009, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you search this forum you will find several threads where people have imported firearms
thanks
Old Aug 30th 2009, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know anything about taking guns into Oz,I do know from my ex OH that he had to keep in guns stored in a proper gun safe.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Thanks
ronnie
It is not just a matter of showing your UK firearm certificate and being able to get an Australian Licence. Once you attempt to import a firearm, Customs gets involved and it gets very messy.

I imported a 410 Shotgun from the UK about 12 years ago and wished I had not bothered. The paper chain is just unbelieveable. You would think I was trying to import the Iraqi Supergun. If the Guns do not hold any personal value to you, sell them before you leave and purchase new ones once you arrive.

Obtaining a Firearms Licence over here can be quite an ordeal. It took me 20 months just to transfer my Firearms Licence from ACT to NSW. This was due to the incompetence of the NSW Firearms Registory. They are by far, the most difficult department I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. I owned the guns, they were in my possession and I just wanted to do the right thing after moving across the border. They put every conceavable obstacle in my way to prevent me from doing just that. In the end I had to write to my MP and complain. Guess what, I got the licence very soon after that.

Good luck with it all

Barney
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by POW148
It is not just a matter of showing your UK firearm certificate and being able to get an Australian Licence. Once you attempt to import a firearm, Customs gets involved and it gets very messy.

I imported a 410 Shotgun from the UK about 12 years ago and wished I had not bothered. The paper chain is just unbelieveable. You would think I was trying to import the Iraqi Supergun. If the Guns do not hold any personal value to you, sell them before you leave and purchase new ones once you arrive.

Obtaining a Firearms Licence over here can be quite an ordeal. It took me 20 months just to transfer my Firearms Licence from ACT to NSW. This was due to the incompetence of the NSW Firearms Registory. They are by far, the most difficult department I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. I owned the guns, they were in my possession and I just wanted to do the right thing after moving across the border. They put every conceavable obstacle in my way to prevent me from doing just that. In the end I had to write to my MP and complain. Guess what, I got the licence very soon after that.

Good luck with it all

Barney
oh, cheers any way
Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with it all

Barney
Yeah, they should go back to the old days and let anyone coming into the country arm themselves. This famous recreational shooting tourist was a real gem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Schwab
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Stubbly-on-the-Minge. Soon to be Melbourne!!
Stilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the rough

I looked at importing my Mosin-Nagant M44 carbine with me, but after having a look at all the paperwork, fees and legwork involved I've now decided to give it to a friend in the UK to look after.

I also wanted to import my pre-WWII Luftwaffe gravity knife, but the Victoria police couldn't decide if it was a sheath knife or a flick knife. (Cue lots of sucking of teeth!) Again the paperwork and fees have put me off. I'd have to re-register it every three years!

And now, thanks to beauracracy I'm going to be buggered when the zombies rise and attack!!
Old Sep 1st 2009, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Stilletto_rebel
I looked at importing my Mosin-Nagant M44 carbine with me, but after having a look at all the paperwork, fees and legwork involved I've now decided to give it to a friend in the UK to look after.

I also wanted to import my pre-WWII Luftwaffe gravity knife, but the Victoria police couldn't decide if it was a sheath knife or a flick knife. (Cue lots of sucking of teeth!) Again the paperwork and fees have put me off. I'd have to re-register it every three years!

And now, thanks to beauracracy I'm going to be buggered when the zombies rise and attack!!
Most of us on here might be safe, I hear they only eat brains.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

. In the end I had to write to my MP and complain. Guess what, I got the licence very soon after that.

Good luck with it all

Barney
Funny... I did the same thing to get my GSM 175 PR visa a few months ago after Chris Evans lost the plot ......and I got the visa.