Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Gym subsidies for people to lose weight?

Gym subsidies for people to lose weight?

Old Jun 26th 2009, 6:10 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gym subsidies for people to lose weight?

Originally Posted by Hebe
Some people feel more motivated in a group situation and with trainers pushing them on. Its alright saying - get off the bus a stop earlier, stop eating so much etc etc etc. don't you think they have heard all of this before - they need more than this - they need help and support.

TBH I am surprised by some of the responses on this thread and others of a similar nature. Most people who are morbidly obese or have serious weights issues know what they should or shouldn't eat but it is not as simple as that. They usually have issues with food and very little is done to address this.

PS - also being slim doesn't make you fit -
If someone has serious food issues then giving them a gym membership really isnt going to do much to address that..

I have a friend who is morbidly obese.. she has her own gym membership.. when we found out that we had membership at the same gym (we were just getting to know each other at the school playground), I said "lets go together" as I just didnt use it (I am no slim-jim!).. she got really embarrassed and said no..

Found out that she had it in her head that everyone was going to be skinny and fit as a flea and she couldnt face going.. she thought everyone was going to stare at her and mock her.. (she was about a size 20)... She also couldnt use the machines and despite there being trainers on hand she couldnt face asking them.

I did help her with it all.. showed her how to use the machines etc etc.. she had had the gym membership for about 2 years before that.. never used it apart from to go there and have a coffee.. couldnt cancel it as she knew she needed to get more healthy.. she was in her own catch 22 situation..

Em x

Last edited by emelems; Jun 26th 2009 at 7:21 am.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 8:23 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliburn
Obese people, often developing adverse health conditions, are a greater burden on tax-payers money and public health system. Its probably cheaper to prevent this by gym-subsidy.
You mean that giving them heart attacks while working out in a gym is cheaper in the long run? Probably right, if a little callous.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:01 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
Some people feel more motivated in a group situation and with trainers pushing them on. Its alright saying - get off the bus a stop earlier, stop eating so much etc etc etc. don't you think they have heard all of this before - they need more than this - they need help and support.

TBH I am surprised by some of the responses on this thread and others of a similar nature. Most people who are morbidly obese or have serious weights issues know what they should or shouldn't eat but it is not as simple as that. They usually have issues with food and very little is done to address this.

PS - also being slim doesn't make you fit -
look if they really wanted to loose the weight they would get off the bus earlier etc. I dont know why you are surprised by the responses its time to stop mollycoddling and leave the excuses at the door.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I find I can eat whatever I like. A run up and down a few hills with a backpack does wonders and makes a difference in a few weeks.

Diets - a waste of time if you have poor genes, or do no exercise..
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:59 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Subsidising overweight people to attend a gym in order to reduce the need to provide medical care at a later stage is idealistic not realistic for all the things mentioned before

1. Some people are obese due to medical reasons
2. Some people eat too much and no amount of free gym membership will coax them in to long term exorcise as they hate exorcise, hence these individuals not going to a gym in the first place. What will happen if they stop going? It will cost more to manage and implement.
3. Some people are genetically inclined to be big
4. Some people don't care, and want to be big

Besides the above reasons [and many more] , if we start nannying this problem then those people affected will feel obliged/pressured/guilty for being overweight which is wrong as they are no less human than skinny or *normal* sized people. Also those not in this category will resent the perceived "perk" for the overweight.

And where does it end? What about other *conditions* that create a burden on society medical costs? Shall we police that too?

All in all a crap idea. Ill thought out, not popular with normal, skinny or overweight people and probably end up costing more than it's intended to save.

Besides, what's wrong with choice? What's wrong with people being overweight? It's THEIR choice

Doesn't affect me. Someone might be paying my medical bill for ill health in later life for whatever reason. Luck of the draw. No one is perfect.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think that subsidising memberships is the answer.
I do, however, find it funny that whenever governments and lobby groups talk about solving the obesity crisis, the idea is always to make "bad" food more expensive. Does anyone ever suggest making healthy food cheaper? Frankly I find that shopping for food to make 7 relatively healthy meals a week is far more expensive than living on a diet of take aways (pizza for $5 even if it is rubbish?!). Some people need an incentive to eat healthily, instead of a disincentive to eat badly.