Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Gym subsidies for people to lose weight?

Wikiposts

Gym subsidies for people to lose weight?

Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Gym subsidies for people to lose weight?

Originally Posted by Peepster
Look you lot stop using so many long scientific words, I can't cope with it...

Should tax payers be funding fatties to go to the gym or not?
no
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:51 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Whats wrong with using your imagination? I mean actually exercising or even just getting fitter and NOT spending money, taxpayers or your own?

Couple of ideas.. get off the bus one stop early and walk the rest of the way to work, take the stairs not the lift, go for an early morning jog etc etc?

If you are really unfit then just start slow and build up (walking is usually a good starting point)..

Em x
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

No

What about non fatties who go to the gym? Shouldnt they also get a subsidy?

What if you are fat, get a gym discount, lose the weight, stop going to the gym because they have to pay for it then get fat again? Should they be funded over and over again?

Even more importantly what about non fatties who dont go to the gym, who find alternatives like running, sports, swimming. Should they miss out because they don't like the yucky sweaty gyms?

So everyone should get it if they had one.

But no I dont think there should be one, its all about personal choice
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

NO!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Burbage
Regulation of digestive enzymes. The more the body produces the more of a particular type of food is digested.

The body can't, however, regulate the amount of sugar taken up by the blood since it passes pretty much directly in. Nor can it regulate simple carbs, since they are broken down to sugars by gut bacteria and this sugar is passed directly into the blood.

Example: If your body needs fats it will produce lots of lipases. If it doesn't it will produce low levels of lipases and most of the fat you eat will pass straight through you.

Same thing goes for proteins and complex carbs (most of which mainly cellulose we essentially can't digest at all).
Yes, I agree with this and I am very much against sugar. Best to eliminate it from the diet.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Possums
it is a good idea but I wonder how many would bother turning up, it seems much easier to get drastic surgery these days than to put yourself through a strenuous workout.
It's also a lot easier (and cheaper) to sit on the couch watching TV.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:54 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, the conclusion I've come to is that it's a waste of money. The exercise in general won't solve the problem. It's a proper diet that solves the problem.

The diets in the Biggest Loser are the thing that makes the contestants lose weight, but nobody would tune in if they couldn't watch fatties suffering from the physical torture.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

Anyway, the conclusion I've come to is that it's a waste of money. The exercise in general won't solve the problem. It's a proper diet that solves the problem.

The diets in the Biggest Loser are the thing that makes the contestants lose weight, but nobody would tune in if they couldn't watch fatties suffering from the physical torture.
That and the fact they are restricting them to about 1000 calories a day.

In saying that though, why do people lose weight from exercising when they haven't chenged their diet?

I remember when I was doing basic training in the military. In a 3 month period my calorie intake went up to about 5000/day and I lost 10kgs. I ate like a horse including all the sugary desserts and chocolate I could get my hands on.

Last edited by Deancm; Jun 25th 2009 at 7:06 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

For some reason that link doesn't work.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by emelems
I think it is time people took responsibility for their own health and stopped expecting the government or someone else to look after them..

Just my 2penny worth

Em x
Obese people, often developing adverse health conditions, are a greater burden on tax-payers money and public health system. Its probably cheaper to prevent this by gym-subsidy.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by caliburn
Obese people, often developing adverse health conditions, are a greater burden on tax-payers money and public health system. Its probably cheaper to prevent this by gym-subsidy.
Gym-subsidy? Gyms won't work if they are not even prepared to go for a jog/run or just get active, which is free.

They will go to the gym once and not go back. Now that's throwing money down the drain because they will still be a burden on the public health system.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Some people feel more motivated in a group situation and with trainers pushing them on. Its alright saying - get off the bus a stop earlier, stop eating so much etc etc etc. don't you think they have heard all of this before - they need more than this - they need help and support.

TBH I am surprised by some of the responses on this thread and others of a similar nature. Most people who are morbidly obese or have serious weights issues know what they should or shouldn't eat but it is not as simple as that. They usually have issues with food and very little is done to address this.

PS - also being slim doesn't make you fit -
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

Arrow Re: Gym subsidies for people to lose weight?

Originally Posted by Hebe
Some people feel more motivated in a group situation and with trainers pushing them on. Its alright saying - get off the bus a stop earlier, stop eating so much etc etc etc. don't you think they have heard all of this before - they need more than this - they need help and support.

TBH I am surprised by some of the responses on this thread and others of a similar nature. Most people who are morbidly obese or have serious weights issues know what they should or shouldn't eat but it is not as simple as that. They usually have issues with food and very little is done to address this.
Excuses, excuses, excuses...

Actually, weight loss is extremely simple. It just takes the will to do it. The problem is that they are too lazy and put too much of the wrong food into their mouths. It's that simple.

When these people are at home, there is no personal trainer or group of people pushing them off the couch and out the door.

Unless they go to a real bootcamp type of place where they have no choice, no amount of gym subsidy is going to work.

Their lives are the way it is because of decisions that they have made. When are people going to accept responsibility for themselves, their lives and the decisions they make? I have absolutely no sympathy.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:42 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
Excuses, excuses, excuses...

Actually, weight loss is extremely simple. It just takes the will to do it. The problem is that they are too lazy and put too much of the wrong food into their mouths. It's that simple.

When these people are at home, there is no personal trainer or group of people pushing them off the couch and out the door.

Unless they go to a real bootcamp type of place where they have no choice, no amount of gym subsidy is going to work.

Their lives are the way it is because of decisions that they have made. When are people going to accept responsibility for themselves, their lives and the decisions they make? I have absolutely no sympathy.
Double their taxes for being fat. They'll soon lose weight.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

Double their taxes for being fat. They'll soon lose weight.
I reckon you could be right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.