Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Gym subsidies for people to lose weight?

Gym subsidies for people to lose weight?

Old Jun 25th 2009, 3:55 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Gym subsidies for people to lose weight?

Originally Posted by Deancm
There's no such thing as junk food and healthy food molecules. Just molecules.
I was just repeating what you said.
I know that, that's why I put it in quotes!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 3:58 pm

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Burbage
This is a commonly held belief, but it is wrong. For starters the calculation is:

Nett calorific gain = Calorific value of food consumed - (daily calorific requirements + Calorific value of waste)

The body is very good at not digesting food it doesn't need to, so if your body is in biochemical balance then the amount of food you eat is pretty much irrelevant, you will only digest the amount you need and pass the rest. The problem comes when your body think it isn't getting enough food, and this is detected by monitoring blood sugar level.
You know we've had this discussion before Burbage, and I don't want to go through it again. If your body passes on any excess food it doesn't need, then why do overweight people exist?

Much as I respect what you're saying, it's b*ll*cks.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:01 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
You know we've had this discussion before Burbage, and I don't want to go through it again. If your body passes on any excess food it doesn't need, then why do overweight people exist?

Overweight people exist because the sugar they eat (primarily) interferes with the body's ability to pass what they don't need.

It's biochemistry baby. And a fair bit of endocrinology.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:08 pm

Would love to discuss more, but I'm off to work at the gym. Got to help more overweight people lose bodyfat. Amazing how they achieve that just by exercising, if it doesn't work, hey?
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:15 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Burbage
This is a commonly held belief, but it is wrong. For starters the calculation is:

Nett calorific gain = Calorific value of food consumed - (daily calorific requirements + Calorific value of waste)

The body is very good at not digesting food it doesn't need to, so if your body is in biochemical balance then the amount of food you eat is pretty much irrelevant, you will only digest the amount you need and pass the rest. The problem comes when your body think it isn't getting enough food, and this is detected by monitoring blood sugar level.
There has been so many studies by sport, weight, nutrition experts (doctors) and there is so much conflicting evidence in this area.

Generally speaking though, sugar will spike insulin levels which in turn will make the body store fat. Protein, will counteract the sugar, reducing insulin levels and convert it to energy. Energy still needs to be expended though or it will be converted to fat.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the first time I have heard of that as well.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:49 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
It's the first time I have heard of that as well.
Regulation of digestive enzymes. The more the body produces the more of a particular type of food is digested.

The body can't, however, regulate the amount of sugar taken up by the blood since it passes pretty much directly in. Nor can it regulate simple carbs, since they are broken down to sugars by gut bacteria and this sugar is passed directly into the blood.

Example: If your body needs fats it will produce lots of lipases. If it doesn't it will produce low levels of lipases and most of the fat you eat will pass straight through you.

Same thing goes for proteins and complex carbs (most of which mainly cellulose we essentially can't digest at all).
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:52 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Look you lot stop using so many long scientific words, I can't cope with it...

Should tax payers be funding fatties to go to the gym or not?
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peepster
Look you lot stop using so many long scientific words, I can't cope with it...

Should tax payers be funding fatties to go to the gym or not?
Yes.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:57 pm
Demi-God

Would love to discuss more, but I'm off to work at the gym. Got to help more overweight people lose bodyfat. Amazing how they achieve that just by exercising, if it doesn't work, hey?
You might find this interesting:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:58 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm feeling a bit topical today so would anyone care to discuss this?

"Overweight people could be paid to lose weight under a radical plan to combat the nation's obesity crisis".

I think it's a good idea in theory, but my argument would be that losing weight isn't just about exercise - getting the diet right is equally or more important.

What do we think? Is it a good idea or is being overweight a personal problem as opposed to a tax payers issue?

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...007185,00.html
it is a good idea but I wonder how many would bother turning up, it seems much easier to get drastic surgery these days than to put yourself through a strenuous workout.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:00 pm
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hebe
Yes.
Me too Hebe. To make things fair though, I think that smokers should get some subsidy on stop-smoking aids. Not sure what we could do for the alco's though!
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:02 pm
Random Member

I know it probably sounds a bit silly but I think they should have some sort of Biggest Loser/Diet programme on every night all year round. I reckon it would help.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:03 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Me too Hebe. To make things fair though, I think that smokers should get some subsidy on stop-smoking aids. Not sure what we could do for the alco's though!
Smokers do get funding already. For example Champix is funded to smokers who agree to speak to a councilor first and construct a quit plan. They save themselves about 80% of the cost of the drugs.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 5:06 pm
Random Member

Originally Posted by Centurion
Smokers do get funding already. For example Champix is funded to smokers who agree to speak to a councilor first and construct a quit plan. They save themselves about 80% of the cost of the drugs.
Oh, ok that's fair enough then!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.