Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Guests have pissed us off - how do we respond?

Guests have pissed us off - how do we respond?

Old May 31st 2008, 9:46 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Guests have pissed us off - how do we respond?

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Sorry, here's a lone voice amongst the majority. I'd send the email off. They are obviously not friends and as such don't need the common courtesy you would give friends. They need to be told that their behaviour was not on and you don't require a thank you note nor do you want one. You also don't need to have to be their hosts again.

People like that need telling. At some point it will sink in that their behaviour was simply wrong and they may even learn from it.
You're not alone Pen!!! I'd also send it!!

In fact, I have already typed up the email telling my MIL & FIL more than a few home truths. At the request of C, I have it sat in my email draft folder ready to fire off the second they get on that plane back to England next Friday!

It clearly states that they are not welcome anywhere near me ever again. Visiting future grandkids? Forget it! Being present at our wedding? Forget it! yadda yadda!!!

'kin arses!
Old May 31st 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Leave it. There is no point in stooping to their level, however much you want to. Actions speak louder than words. However, they probably know that they have pissed you and if they don't and ask, then tell them but without being accusing ie you made us feel, we felt etc.

ps did you go to the Malaysian in Black Rock?
Yep, Rumah Aneka - so it wasn't all bad !
Old May 31st 2008, 10:23 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer

In fact, I have already typed up the email telling my MIL & FIL more than a few home truths. At the request of C, I have it sat in my email draft folder ready to fire off the second they get on that plane back to England next Friday!

It clearly states that they are not welcome anywhere near me ever again. Visiting future grandkids? Forget it! Being present at our wedding? Forget it! yadda yadda!!!

'kin arses!
Oooo thats sounds good,can you post it on here when they leave
Old May 31st 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Just a question. Why didnt you tell them to do things etc when they were here? I tell you. I wouldn't be so nice. They were taking the piss. Would you put up with it back home?
At the time my wife and I observed different things and were prepared to make allowances for certain behaviours. It was only once they'd left did and there was no thanks offered did we actually sit and discuss. Only then did we realise quite how arrogant they were.
Old May 31st 2008, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
At the time my wife and I observed different things and were prepared to make allowances for certain behaviours. It was only once they'd left did and there was no thanks offered did we actually sit and discuss. Only then did we realise quite how arrogant they were.
I bet they aren't all they say they are... wouldn't surprise me if there were issues they were hiding - marriage problems, work problems etc. It would make them feel better to 'lord it' over you. Send a reply email saing that you sensed that they had problems, which is why you have overlooked their behaviour and lack of manners. Then tell them you are heading over to the Uk for a couple of months and will it be OK to stay with them - return the favour so to speak.

Revenge can be sweet... bet they never contact you again....
Old May 31st 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Many thanks for all the responses, and the ideas !

My preference is still to send a response, but perhaps slightly toned down and less emotive, but making it clear that we felt they took the piss and that we're not interested in a response - i.e. the friendship is over. I may also include an attachment with "a photo of your weekend" but it'll actually be loaded with a nice little invasive virus.

To echo what a few folk have said, whilst I do want to take the moral high ground I don't think I can actually let them swan around treating people that way - perhaps this is still a simple case of me needing to let steam off but I do want to point out that they are a couple of selfish twats.

I'll talk to Mrs Haggis today and decide - I'll keep you informed.

Somebody mentioned why we spent $650 on alcohol - he's from Belfast and I'm Scottish.

In the 34 months that we've been here we've had 9 different guests, who've stayed for a total of 11 months. Other than the obvious frustration of having folk in your house (pretty hard to watch Friends/EPL naked drinking a beer - as was pointed out after one particular episode ) it's actually been great and everyone has been appreciative. It won't change our outlook.

However the old proverb certainly rings true - Friends and Family are like Fish - they go off after 3 days !
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:13 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I think I would just say...

Oh a thank you card? Forget about it mate. 5 months ago it may have ment something.......
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:34 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Alternatively write the email, starting with something along the lines of....

"Oh thank goodness you've contacted us. What's happened to you guys?. We have been really, really worried that one of you has had cancer or something...we couldn't think of any other reason why you didn't contact us after we gave up our lives for you for xx weeks, including spending over 1000/xxx pounds on your stay. Thank goodness that you're alive. We you planning on recooperating back here in Oz with us? That would be a bit tricky, as we're not really in a position to help. We can point you in the direction of a BnB nearby etc etc"

Hmm..maybe I'm being a bit harsh?
This one made me laugh out loud. I'm more inclined to say don't contact them at all and let them stew but if I were to send anything it would be something really sarcy like this.

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer

'kin arses!
Oh don't... You'll never be able to take it back
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:36 am
Blah Blah Blah

Buttockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond reputeButtockup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I bet they aren't all they say they are... wouldn't surprise me if there were issues they were hiding - marriage problems, work problems etc. It would make them feel better to 'lord it' over you.
This is an astute observation.

Also, there is no excuse for arrogance.

My tuppence worth is don't give any indication of the upset caused. Just have fun thinking up possible rebuttals for the future. Some excellent suggestions have already been made.

"You're coming to Australia again? That great. What part will you be visiting this time?"
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:52 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Or.....tell them
"that's great, let us know when you are here and you can take us out for a meal".
"We've decided not to do BnB anymore - we need to charge 150 quid a night per couple for it to cover our costs!!"
That is fanbloodytastic

I am going to use that myself
Old Jun 1st 2008, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
That is fanbloodytastic

I am going to use that myself

Old Jun 1st 2008, 6:19 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Well they can either respond by saying 'Oh we were not planning on paying you or using you as a B/B' or they can admit that really was the plan anyway.

It is a no win situation - for them anyway.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper

So the question is, do I simply leave it ? Do we send a brutally honest (but probably childish) response - it'll make me feel better ? Or are we expecting too much ? We have no intention of staying in touch with them now.

Cheers.
With no intention of keeping in touch, I'd follow Asher advice and make it very clear that for all of the above reasons they're no longer on the guest list.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

JoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to allJoanL is a name known to all

I think it's true, we've all had something similar. Luckily mine was decades ago.

I would not have bought the wine though - it would have been the food and drink we normally have - but - I'm from Yorkshire!!!!

Hmmm, yes, I'd be inclined to agree with the majority - delete and forget the email; don't reply.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:41 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bother replying either, not after 5 months. If they had truly wanted to thank you, they would have done it immediately. Emailing to say they didn't have your address is no excuse. Sod 'em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.