Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Growth of Islam in Australia.

Growth of Islam in Australia.

Old Jan 19th 2013, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growth of Islam in Australia.

This thread is seriously disappointing for BE on a number of levels IMO.

The whole tit for tat stuff is very old. Ashamed to say I used to get drag into that but I don't anymore.

Slaphead- it's the 2nd or 3rd time you've written that folks who like the UK or are looking to move back, don't come here. You're wrong. I for one come on here, and we moved back to he UK (where we are now) but I participate here because we might move back to Oz. Personally out of all the countries I've lived in, Oz is the one I'd least like to move back to. ( happy wife and all that).

I don't like Oz much, but I've done well there and I know extremely well how it 'works', so it won't be any surprises for me.

I come on here nowadays to try and help folks, but my 21yrs on Oz were all lived in Sydney, mostly upper and lower Nth Shore and Nth Beaches, and there simply aren't that many questions about those areas in comparison to the Perth/Brisbane enquiries.

My personal opinion is that there is more 'baiting' on the Oz forum towards those that like the UK now than there is in the MBTTUK forum towards those that like Oz. But it used to be much more even (not that anyone wins in these games). But maybe I spend more time in the Oz forum now, not sure.

Chris must post these thread knowing he's going to cop some grief, but I think in general his writing style is less vitriolic than the 'circle the wagons' replies that he gets, especially lately.

As for the original question, I think stats can be very misleading. Reading the Muslim threads on here you'd think there is no issue at all in Oz and the problems are rampant in the UK. I live in Sth East UK and have not encountered any issues regarding this at all in our 3yrs here. I couldn't tell you where the nearest Mosque is and rarely anyone on the street that is obviously Muslim, but I don't work in London and New Malden is about a close as we get to 'the smoke' and we only see Koreans and Indians there.

When I lived in Sydney, the problems were on the news a lot, ranging from drive by shootings in Lakemba, to some issues with beach access in the RNP (Muslims guarding the access paths because females were bathing), to calls to 'rise up' and then the PR machine would go into full spin about how various comments were 'taken out of context'.

My point is, that I've lived in Sydney longer than most on this forum and i've seen trends back and forth and public opinion raged against all sorts of minority problems there over the years (it was against the Vietnamese when I arrived). I don't see it so much in the UK, or rather, I don't feel it as much, probably due to where I live.

In other words, location can have a big influence on how you perceive something, and given the state centric, introspective nature of news reporting in Oz, I can easily see how some folks may not think there as in issue.

To deny there is a Muslim problem in Sydney is about as false as thinking that we are living in under Shariah Law in the UK and reading the 'told you so' headlines in the Daily Fail every day.

But I don't think the 'don't like then **** off' attitude speaks highly of anyone, either here on BE or slapped on the back of a 4WD.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 8:54 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
This thread is seriously disappointing for BE on a number of levels IMO.

The whole tit for tat stuff is very old. Ashamed to say I used to get drag into that but I don't anymore.

Slaphead- it's the 2nd or 3rd time you've written that folks who like the UK or are looking to move back, don't come here. You're wrong. I for one come on here, and we moved back to he UK (where we are now) but I participate here because we might move back to Oz. Personally out of all the countries I've lived in, Oz is the one I'd least like to move back to. ( happy wife and all that).

I don't like Oz much, but I've done well there and I know extremely well how it 'works', so it won't be any surprises for me.

I come on here nowadays to try and help folks, but my 21yrs on Oz were all lived in Sydney, mostly upper and lower Nth Shore and Nth Beaches, and there simply aren't that many questions about those areas in comparison to the Perth/Brisbane enquiries.

My personal opinion is that there is more 'baiting' on the Oz forum towards those that like the UK now than there is in the MBTTUK forum towards those that like Oz. But it used to be much more even (not that anyone wins in these games). But maybe I spend more time in the Oz forum now, not sure.

Chris must post these thread knowing he's going to cop some grief, but I think in general his writing style is less vitriolic than the 'circle the wagons' replies that he gets, especially lately.

As for the original question, I think stats can be very misleading. Reading the Muslim threads on here you'd think there is no issue at all in Oz and the problems are rampant in the UK. I live in Sth East UK and have not encountered any issues regarding this at all in our 3yrs here. I couldn't tell you where the nearest Mosque is and rarely anyone on the street that is obviously Muslim, but I don't work in London and New Malden is about a close as we get to 'the smoke' and we only see Koreans and Indians there.

When I lived in Sydney, the problems were on the news a lot, ranging from drive by shootings in Lakemba, to some issues with beach access in the RNP (Muslims guarding the access paths because females were bathing), to calls to 'rise up' and then the PR machine would go into full spin about how various comments were 'taken out of context'.

My point is, that I've lived in Sydney longer than most on this forum and i've seen trends back and forth and public opinion raged against all sorts of minority problems there over the years (it was against the Vietnamese when I arrived). I don't see it so much in the UK, or rather, I don't feel it as much, probably due to where I live.

In other words, location can have a big influence on how you perceive something, and given the state centric, introspective nature of news reporting in Oz, I can easily see how some folks may not think there as in issue.

To deny there is a Muslim problem in Sydney is about as false as thinking that we are living in under Shariah Law in the UK and reading the 'told you so' headlines in the Daily Fail every day.

But I don't think the 'don't like then **** off' attitude speaks highly of anyone, either here on BE or slapped on the back of a 4WD.
Excellent post and absolutely spot on in all respects. I get so sick of those who can literally see absolutely no bad in Australia but if really pushed will possibly admit it is a very minor issue but nowhere near as bad as in the UK. I will openly admit I post SOME things to 'retaliate' and I take no pride in that. I have lived for the majority of my life in Australia and love the country very much but I am not blind to its many faults. By being the way I am about the UK I admit is wrong, of course this country has faults, many of them but I'll be buggered if I will sit back and listen to some of the complete nonsense that gets talked on here.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 9:36 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Slaphead- it's the 2nd or 3rd time you've written that folks who like the UK or are looking to move back, don't come here.
Thats NOT what I wrote, and is a serious misquote.

what I actually wrote was "no one goes on the Australian BE Barbie looking to migrate to the UK. Its the other way around. "

Show me how many Australians come on BE Barbie looking for information on the Uk lifestyle......

Im going to leave the issue at that and assume it was an error.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Thats NOT what I wrote, and is a serious misquote.

what I actually wrote was "no one goes on the Australian BE Barbie looking to migrate to the UK. Its the other way around. "

Show me how many Australians come on BE Barbie looking for information on the Uk lifestyle......

Im going to leave the issue at that and assume it was an error.
No, that's what you wrote THIS time. But in the past you've written that folks who are happy in the UK don't come onto the Barbie, which is not correct.

Your assumption, is wrong.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:07 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Popcorn not required, I ceased that tit for tat childishness years ago.

Have a great day everyone
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:23 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Yer doing a great job of breaking the cycle, so far as I can see.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:24 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you, seriously. I should follow your lead but every now and then I just cant hold back
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:29 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
In the spirit of the Muslim Patrol thread I found this interesting. I have no interest in any one religion over any other, to me they are all based on pure fiction but the growth of Islam in Australia and indeed worldwide is quite puzzling. Why do a small but significant number feel the need to 'rebel' against quite often the very country they are born in or at least have chosen to live in ? Clearly the overwhelming majority do the right thing and integrate but the problem of being tarred with the same brush is ever present.
http://m.theaustralian.com.au/opinio...-1226478403500
I could convert to Islam just for those little hats.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:30 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

No, that's what you wrote THIS time. But in the past you've written that folks who are happy in the UK don't come onto the Barbie, which is not correct.

Your assumption, is wrong.
And you misquoted me mate. I don't appreciate it, and its a serious breach of etiquette.

If you are going to quote me do so ON THE THREAD where I made the post.

Tnx.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:33 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Baked beans in oz are shite compared to those here in the uk.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
You gotta buy the English Recipe Heinz beans here. Other than that, forget it.

The Peach Schnapps here are shite compared to Archers back home. Life is tough you know.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Think beans are bad you should try Australian popcorn
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:45 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

These are halal beans,proper kosher
Old Jan 19th 2013, 10:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
We have found that even the cheap baked beans here are nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.