Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Old Feb 7th 2010, 11:59 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing financial crisis in Europe???

Originally Posted by Centurion
There is an interesting 3 part documentary entitled "Addicted to money" in which the cause of the global recession and where we end up are analysed. The program suggests that countries have borrowed money on credit cards to pay back spiraling debt which in turn they can never repay.

I sincerely believe that the world may now face another downturn and needs to learn a very big lesson in that we cannot return to the way things were. The system does not work. As the OP article says - nobody can see a way out.

The only way forward as I can see is that a lot of countries have to bite the bullet and make some very very hard choices and suck the pain which has been merely put off. At least that might ensue the nations survival in the medium term.
For the record (and this is just a personal opinion so please don’t shoot my bum off) I have always thought that the economic “free trade” concept was fraught with danger.

My economics lecturers (a bigger bunch of communists you could not find) used to argue “but slapphead, it will give you access to cheaper goods”, which of course it did.

But if the West doesn’t have jobs, then no one had the money to pay for those goods.

So the global manufacturing base went to China, taking with it all of the jobs. To keep the western economies buoyant, consumers used credit – even though they had no jobs, and prospect of ever getting jobs. That kept demand up for the new goods being manufactured in China. Big screen LCD TV sets etc. Made in China, sold in the West, paid for with credit.

Then the bottom fell out of the credit game.

Now as Centurion points out, the west is going to have to bite the bullet, whixh means a serious reduction of living standards in the West.

Which is EXACTLY what I argued would happen with my lecturers.

The West will get poorer, our standard of living will be reduced, and the Standard of the newly emerging economies will rise, until we reach parity.

Being died in the wool communists they were probably happy with that solution.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Theres no financial crisis or recession down here in OZ, the developed worlds best performing economy
True,pity it's too dull for Europeans with a few bob !
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:33 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
The Euro was always a disaster waiting to happen: it may not collapse this time but at some stage it must.
This is an interesting piece in the FT site, either the Euro is about to go tits up or all these traders are about to lose big:

Traders make $8bn bet against euro

"Traders and hedge funds have bet nearly $8bn (€5.9bn) against the euro, amassing the biggest ever short position in the single currency on fears of a eurozone debt crisis."

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0330ba78-1...44feab49a.html
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:06 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently Germany is going to bail Greece out.
The problem then may be:

It sets a precedent – its ok to spend your money unwisely and get deep into debt, Germany will come to the rescue.

It is sure to infuriate Germans, who have suffered stagnate standards of living because of the Euro, whilst other countries have borrowed their way to a better lifestyle.

Germany will impose drastic restrictions on Greece, which is sure to upset the Greeks, who will either ignore the restrictions or simply riot until they get what they want.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Apparently Germany is going to bail Greece out.
The problem then may be:

It sets a precedent – its ok to spend your money unwisely and get deep into debt, Germany will come to the rescue.

It is sure to infuriate Germans, who have suffered stagnate standards of living because of the Euro, whilst other countries have borrowed their way to a better lifestyle.

Germany will impose drastic restrictions on Greece, which is sure to upset the Greeks, who will either ignore the restrictions or simply riot until they get what they want.
With reunification and the Euro the Germans are becoming masters of absorbing and managing the debt of others. I suspect Greece will be Germany's bitch for a while if this happens.

I suspect absorbing Greece's debt will probably be easier than reunification.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:01 pm
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
With reunification and the Euro the Germans are becoming masters of absorbing and managing the debt of others. I suspect Greece will be Germany's bitch for a while if this happens.

I suspect absorbing Greece's debt will probably be easier than reunification.

Better to foot the bill than see the Euro slide off the edge of the scales and fall into the basket case currency pool.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:20 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Better to foot the bill than see the Euro slide off the edge of the scales and fall into the basket case currency pool.
After Greece, then Spain, then Portugal. Where does it stop?

I reckon Greece will be booted out of the EU - IMHO.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:28 pm
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by renth
After Greece, then Spain, then Portugal. Where does it stop?

I reckon Greece will be booted out of the EU - IMHO.
I guess they hope that if Germany props up Greece there will be no contagion, and confidence in Spain and Portugal will remain sufficiently high for them to be able to borrow at reasonable rates.

I think you are right though, sooner or later there will be a culling in the Eurozone.

(moving back from a Euro to a Drachma will be hard)
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:43 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

For the record (and this is just a personal opinion so please don’t shoot my bum off) I have always thought that the economic “free trade” concept was fraught with danger.

My economics lecturers (a bigger bunch of communists you could not find) used to argue “but slapphead, it will give you access to cheaper goods”, which of course it did.

But if the West doesn’t have jobs, then no one had the money to pay for those goods.

So the global manufacturing base went to China, taking with it all of the jobs. To keep the western economies buoyant, consumers used credit – even though they had no jobs, and prospect of ever getting jobs. That kept demand up for the new goods being manufactured in China. Big screen LCD TV sets etc. Made in China, sold in the West, paid for with credit.

Then the bottom fell out of the credit game.

Now as Centurion points out, the west is going to have to bite the bullet, whixh means a serious reduction of living standards in the West.

Which is EXACTLY what I argued would happen with my lecturers.

The West will get poorer, our standard of living will be reduced, and the Standard of the newly emerging economies will rise, until we reach parity.

Being died in the wool communists they were probably happy with that solution.
How will the standard of living in China and the new ecomonies improve if the west gets poorer becasue then people in the west don't have the money to purchase Chinas manufactured goods.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:48 pm
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by mohogony
How will the standard of living in China and the new ecomonies improve if the west gets poorer becasue then people in the west don't have the money to purchase Chinas manufactured goods.
This was one of my points in my classroom “discussions”. When the West had no money to buy the LCD TV made in China, the financial musical chairs stops.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:52 pm
(It's not my real name)

This was one of my points in my classroom “discussions”. When the West had no money to buy the LCD TV made in China, the financial musical chairs stops.
I think a lot of Chinas growth is govt. stimulus plus the Chinese making LCD TVs for themselves.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...C-Bltn=9ALCR2F
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:06 pm
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Can they call in the IMF?

And if they do, is it the Eurozone that calls them in, or just Greece?

I guess its Germanic pride V Germanic money.

I suspect that even though the UK isn’t part of the Eurozone it will have to stump up for the rescue package one way or another.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Can they call in the IMF?

And if they do, is it the Eurozone that calls them in, or just Greece?

I guess its Germanic pride V Germanic money.

I suspect that even though the UK isn’t part of the Eurozone it will have to stump up for the rescue package one way or another.
I'm not sure how the IMF would work in that situation.. it would be almost like calling in the IMF just for Arizona.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 4:18 pm
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I'm not sure how the IMF would work in that situation.. it would be almost like calling in the IMF just for Arizona.
Thats what I don’t understand. I can only see a situation where the IMF props up the Euro, and thats the entire zone.

And if that is the case it would be better for Germany to bite the Bratwurst and do the propping itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.