Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Got whooping cough...

Got whooping cough...

Old Jul 31st 2012, 4:52 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got whooping cough...

Originally Posted by Japonica
Those of us who have done it are familiar with what you are talking about.

That means you're getting the optimal dose. Okay, so the next task is to taper down the vitamin C somewhat to find the balance between cough relief and the er, unpleasant side effects of excess vitamin C. It's a balancing act really.
Actually, wasn't talking about that... was talking about what I am coughing up.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Actually, wasn't talking about that... was talking about what I am coughing up.
Well, that's progress too...if you don't have any concerns with the former issue then you can always top up your vit C dose if you need to.

It's a good thing if you're mobilizing the gunk out of your lungs. It'll help prevent a secondary infection from brewing.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 6:27 am

Before it was pretty watery... now... total opposite.

I now know 4 other separate folks up here with whooping cough. Amazing.
Old Jul 31st 2012, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently in the Perth area the cumulative YTD rate is about 90 per 100,000 which is pretty high actually. Not sure what it is in your area, but just gives you an idea.

Right after that is the flu, about 85 per 100,000. My kid just came home from school today saying she had a headache, was tired, body aches, the whole bit, so we look to be in line for a visit from the flu bug here.

There's a fascinating discussion in the medical lit as a possible explanation why pertussis rates are peaking (with up to 95% coverage in most areas, it's not just anti-vaxers as the easy scapegoats). The bacteria seem to have evolved/mutated (whatever term fits the bill) in response to the vaccine program to become more virulent and to favor previously vaccinated hosts. On the bright side, the bacteria seems to adapt fairly slowly (this has been happening over decades) so if the companies who make the current vaccines decide to take it upon themselves to revamp them, then this issue should not arise again for quite a while.

SMH reported on some of the recent research back in March.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/healt...320-1vibp.html

I have a link to the studies if anyone's interested. It's dry reading, but provides a possible explanation for what's going on.

Last edited by Japonica; Jul 31st 2012 at 8:02 am.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 12:48 am

I'd been reading that the thing had mutated... I wonder why they do this in the first place? Does bacteria need to evolve to survive? Where's the drive to do this in the whole genetics of it?
Odd stuff.

After having this, I'd really recommend a vac against it... totally get why children die from it. It's pretty hideous.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in hospital at the moment for tests to determine what bug I've got, been here 14 days+. A few days ago they found antibodies to Whooping Cough, I thought great they've found it at last then my wife reminded me that we had vaccinations for it last year because were were travelling to an area where it was active.

There have been several reports in the media today that the current vaccine may not be as good as they thought, here's one link, there are many others:

http://www.skynews.com.au/health/article.aspx?id=778223
Old Aug 1st 2012, 8:41 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NigelWaring
I'm in hospital at the moment for tests to determine what bug I've got, been here 14 days+. A few days ago they found antibodies to Whooping Cough, I thought great they've found it at last then my wife reminded me that we had vaccinations for it last year because were were travelling to an area where it was active.

There have been several reports in the media today that the current vaccine may not be as good as they thought, here's one link, there are many others:

Get well soon Nigel, thats a long time to be in hospital but at least you are in the best place.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Does bacteria need to evolve to survive? Where's the drive to do this in the whole genetics of it?
Odd stuff.
Things just evolve and mutations happen without a 'reason'. Good mutations (ie improve the fitness) tend to survive, bad ones tend not to. Look how many variations of flu there are around. I managed to get rubella twice by way of it mutating.
Old Aug 1st 2012, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

Had it last year from Feb til July ,wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy,vomited numerous times day for at least 2 Months.horrible honestly felt so rough,inhaled by own vomit one night trying to get my breathe.hope u get better soon
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by donna
Had it last year from Feb til July ,wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy,vomited numerous times day for at least 2 Months.horrible honestly felt so rough,inhaled by own vomit one night trying to get my breathe.hope u get better soon
OMG. Not good. Thanks Donna.

Get well soon Nigel ... that sounds rotten. Having the vaccination is no guarantee you won't get it. The vaccine itself is only about 58% effective anyway.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NigelWaring

Get well soon Nigel.