Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Gold Coast - Beer Garden ??

Gold Coast - Beer Garden ??

Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gold Coast - Beer Garden ??

Hello,

Yes, I know they don't have pubs here, well not really in the English sense of the word but at the weekend OH and I were thinking of places to go for a few afternoon drinks with the kids.

It occurred to me that near us (Helensvale) there aren't many places to go where you can have drinks and perhaps some food outside in nice surroundings. By that I mean not next to a car park or road.

The type of place I love is the Bearded Dragon Tavern or the St Bernard but they are a bit of a trek away.

Any ideas?
Old Jul 20th 2009, 10:12 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gold Coast - Beer Garden ??

yep, this is a big problem, not just in the gold coast, but all around south east queensland.

The Grandview hotel at cleveland has a decent beer garden. Book a table though if you are going at the weekend at meal time.

SLSCs are your best bet I reckon.

The bar/restaurant at st. lucia golf course is very nice.

Straddie hotel aslo has a nice outdoor area with stunning views.

Sorry I can't help with anything more local !
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RenShen
Hello,

Yes, I know they don't have pubs here, well not really in the English sense of the word but at the weekend OH and I were thinking of places to go for a few afternoon drinks with the kids.

It occurred to me that near us (Helensvale) there aren't many places to go where you can have drinks and perhaps some food outside in nice surroundings. By that I mean not next to a car park or road.

The type of place I love is the Bearded Dragon Tavern or the St Bernard but they are a bit of a trek away.

Any ideas?
Around Helensvale, probably not. Mount Tambourine and Surf Clubs are going to be your best bet (but you know that already)
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:29 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you RenShen!.....but after 3 years here I sadly think the answer is no :0( Have you been to The Fox and Hounds? It looked the part but was still lacking somehow *sigh* ....although we did go without the kids one evening.

Jan
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Is the Fox and Hounds the english pub on the way up Tambourine? If so, yes. called in a couple of weeks ago. Every single table was marked as reserved but we were told that we could sit on 2 hard benches just inside the front door if we wanted! I said he could stick it. Not paying top dollar to sit in the porch of a faux english pub. (I was a bit annoyed).

I know that the reason there are no beer gardens is probably because people want to keep out of the sun in the high summer, but sometimes it seems like I am in doors all the time and it would be nice to enjoy a beer (or 4) in the sun.

I forgot to mention the Shearers Arms, Ormeau in my list of good places. They have quite a bit of space outside and the food is very good.
Old Jul 20th 2009, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm completely with you! there are no beer gardens here that give you an open outdoor space with a large garden/play area for kids.

It's so funny you've mentioned this as me and OH were discussing it the other day, i reckon there's a good business idea there particularly on the Gold Coast which is becoming over populated with poms!! (i just can't believe now how many accents i hear everywhere)

I don't think surf clubs are anywhere near the same kind of thing. They are nice and have the wonderful view of the beach but the atmosphere is not the same.

I feel that the pokies ruin a lot of places too, they look so tacky!
Old Jul 20th 2009, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sammyg
I'm completely with you! there are no beer gardens here that give you an open outdoor space with a large garden/play area for kids.

It's so funny you've mentioned this as me and OH were discussing it the other day, i reckon there's a good business idea there particularly on the Gold Coast which is becoming over populated with poms!! (i just can't believe now how many accents i hear everywhere)

I don't think surf clubs are anywhere near the same kind of thing. They are nice and have the wonderful view of the beach but the atmosphere is not the same.

I feel that the pokies ruin a lot of places too, they look so tacky!
Yes. Thats another thing I like about the Bearded Dragon Tavern, no pokies.