Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Going to sound like a complete idoit.

Going to sound like a complete idoit.

Old Jun 4th 2013, 12:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to sound like a complete idoit.

Originally Posted by keith999
Well seeing as the general consensus is I am a plank for missing two flights I may as well make my self useful and give a review of the UK compared to Australia. Public transport is bloody awful, expensive and never on time, the traffic is a joke, the people are pretty bloody gloomy, the weather is awful BUT the supermarkets are great and they sell DR Pepper, junk food is crazy cheap.
Planks don't have a good sense of humour and they never develop the ability to laugh at themselves. I stand by my original diagnosis of human
Old Jun 4th 2013, 3:53 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

BUT the supermarkets are great and they sell DR Pepper
Of all the reasons why UK supermarkets are streets ahead of Australian ones (a view I heartily agree with) you had to pick that one??? Aussie supermarkets sell a variety of carbonated sugar solutions with chemical flavourings - one more or less doesn't make much difference.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Jun 4th 2013 at 3:56 am.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:36 am
Just Joined

Dazza50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there.I have just come back from spending 6 months in the UK to see whether I want to move there permanently. Having lived in Sydney most of my adult life I can't see how you can say UK public transport worse and traffic is worse. The UK ( London, Bath, Bristol) wins hands down on both accounts. It costs $90 to travel from Sydney to Brisbane by train and it takes 15 hours. If you were in the UK you could get to almost anywhere in Europe for that price in half the time. Good luck with the move.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:19 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dazza50
It costs $90 to travel from Sydney to Brisbane by train and it takes 15 hours. If you were in the UK you could get to almost anywhere in Europe for that price in half the time.
You forget how small Europe is compared to Australia, and how few people use trains in Australia. Around 1600km from London and you have crossed 5 countries and are either in Rome or Warsaw: the same distance from Brisbane and you haven't even left Queensland. And who catches a train between Brisbane and Sydney when a flight costs as little as $55 (on Tiger admittedly, and no checked bags) and takes 90 minutes?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:45 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
You'll find public transport heaps cheaper if you actually use the ticket.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:09 am
Just Joined

keith999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I prefer Australia to the uk any day of the week. Peope here are generally very bloody gloomy. When I lived here and left in 2000 it was a different place. The newspapers are bloody depressing. The traffic in Bristol where I am from is worse than Sydney. I used to drive from george street to Straithfield at peak hour and yes it was bad but at least it moved and it took about 30mins. Takes more than that here for a 3 mile journey. The buses are bloody awful and expensive. The trains are insane price ways.

Eurostar is amazing but cost me nearly 300 pounds one way from Brussels to bristol.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
You forget how small Europe is compared to Australia, and how few people use trains in Australia.
Quick look reveals:
Australia = ~7,700,000 sq km
Europe = ~10,100,000 sq km

Not sure if Europe is small compared to Australia?
Around 1600km from London and you have crossed 5 countries and are either in Rome or Warsaw: the same distance from Brisbane and you haven't even left Queensland.
If you head south from Brisbane, at around the 1,600km mark you'll be getting close to Melbourne!
Old Jun 5th 2013, 11:53 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
If you head south from Brisbane, at around the 1,600km mark you'll be getting close to Melbourne!
Well there's your first mistake - heading south. All the interesting stuff is either west or north.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

Well there's your first mistake - heading south. All the interesting stuff is either west or north.

Old Jun 6th 2013, 7:38 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Im just glad I dont live in that UK, it sounds terrible

Well seeing as the general consensus is I am a plank for missing two flights I may as well make my self useful and give a review of the UK compared to Australia. Public transport is bloody awful, expensive and never on time, the traffic is a joke, the people are pretty bloody gloomy, the weather is awful BUT the supermarkets are great and they sell DR Pepper, junk food is crazy cheap.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 8:57 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Well I prefer Australia to the uk any day of the week. Peope here are generally very bloody gloomy.
I would have a tough time deciding between the Bournemouth & Poole area in the UK and living in Australia. The people in Bournemouth are far from gloomy. It's a great place to live, bustling with positive energy, and will always remain one of my top choices of places to reside in.

The only thing that prevents me from moving to the UK is the uncertainty with today's schools and the general state of the youth nowadays, with a particular concern over drug issues. Without kids things would be easier, but now most decisions are based around them.

I am loving it here in Singapore and know that no matter where I go from here it will be a massive downgrade from each and every angle except for alcohol prices. But I keep thinking about the UK, Australia + a few European cities like Berlin, Warsaw or Barcelona to name a few. Vancouver was even up there at one point but I just couldn't see myself choosing to live there with other options like Sydney available.

Getting back to the original point, deciding between the UK and Australia isn't that easy if you also take into account moving... elsewhere in the UK, and not just the place you're currently at.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...6#post10782786

Hope whichever path you take brings health and happiness to all involved
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Quick look reveals:
Australia = ~7,700,000 sq km
Europe = ~10,100,000 sq km
I am sure that Europe wasn't that big when I was young

Have they started to include Russia in Europe yet ?

I know that Croatia became a part of Europe a few days ago, so that's another 56,500 sq km to be added.

The main "continent" that I recall was about 4,000,000 sq km
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCD......
I know that Croatia became a part of Europe a few days ago, so that's another 56,500 sq km to be added.
Croatia has always been a part of Europe. A few days ago Croatia became part of the European Union, which is a completely different thing to Europe.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCD......
The main "continent" that I recall was about 4,000,000 sq km
I'll think you will find that is 4,000,000 sq mi, which is approx. 10,100,000 sq km.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.