To go or Not to go

Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

oxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant future
Default To go or Not to go

Hi everyone, just after peoples experiances really.

Me and the girl friend have discussed on many occasions about moving to Oz, she was born in Sydney so I would get a spouse visa (have lived together for 5 years +).
What sort of dilemas did you face about moving to Oz?? Not really a great family man myself so we both haven't really any ties here, just after a better life style. We live just outside of Oxford so cost of living etc would be abit more but not worried about that.....

Or should we just take the plunge and see how it goes......

Have been on here a while so have read both the good and bad or things...
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To go or Not to go

I think its all to do with expectations.Have you been to Australia before?Has your girlfriend been there recently,or can remember it?I think it depends on alot of factors myself.What type of work do you do?Are you willing to do almost anything if a job in your field does'nt materialise?Can you afford it?Are her family in Oz or here?Can you stay with somebody until you settle into your own place?You mentioned you have read the good,bad and ugly?So whats stopping you?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

oxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by livinginreality
I think its all to do with expectations.Have you been to Australia before?Has your girlfriend been there recently,or can remember it?I think it depends on alot of factors myself.What type of work do you do?Are you willing to do almost anything if a job in your field does'nt materialise?Can you afford it?Are her family in Oz or here?Can you stay with somebody until you settle into your own place?You mentioned you have read the good,bad and ugly?So whats stopping you?
not really too sure whats stopping us really.

I'm a design engineer and my partner works for the police doing crime scenes.
We would do any work to start with, I've not been to Oz before just am thinking if I don't do it now I never will!!!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 2:00 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

My suggestion is to first go on to Immi.gov.au and check out your visa options. It's not as quick or easy now as it was even two years ago so have a thorough read of the info on there then head over to the Immigration forum for more info.

Think about what you want out of a move. It you can't think of anything specific then it's likely you won't find it when you get there!

good luck,

Tx
Old Apr 6th 2010, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RedT
My suggestion is to first go on to Immi.gov.au and check out your visa options. It's not as quick or easy now as it was even two years ago so have a thorough read of the info on there then head over to the Immigration forum for more info.

Think about what you want out of a move. It you can't think of anything specific then it's likely you won't find it when you get there!

good luck,

Tx
Have been on there and I can go in on a spouse visa, so thats not the issue.

As for what we are looking for is a better way of life, in a country which isn't going down the pan as quickly as things are here lol!!!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 2:31 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Ah cool, just thought it was wise to check these things out first.

Well, it sounds like your mind is made up already so I say go for it! We're moving next year, have been there twice (but only on holiday) but have talked to loads of people to try and get as realistic a view as possible about actually living there.

Have a read of the Update forum, loads of info on there about people who have moved relatively recently and how they're getting on. The posts are usually really useful

Tx
Old Apr 6th 2010, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RedT
Ah cool, just thought it was wise to check these things out first.

Well, it sounds like your mind is made up already so I say go for it! We're moving next year, have been there twice (but only on holiday) but have talked to loads of people to try and get as realistic a view as possible about actually living there.

Have a read of the Update forum, loads of info on there about people who have moved relatively recently and how they're getting on. The posts are usually really useful

Tx
Yeah have been reading on here a lot. Been very helpful, we nearly went 2 years ago, gutted really as we where really in a lot better position to go..but hey ho.
Hope fully Sydney bound at some point.....and hopefully do at lest 2 years..
Where you thinking of going?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 2:47 pm
not sure...

We're heading to Sydney too..hopefully to live somewhere like North Sydney if we're lucky. Not going until July 2011...hoping the exchange rate will have improved by then!! We considered Melbourne but both the husband and I fell for Sydney right away and felt at home there. Plus we have family and friends there already so makes sense to settle there.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

James and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to allJames and Alison is a name known to all

Originally Posted by oxford_lad
Hi everyone, just after peoples experiances really.

Me and the girl friend have discussed on many occasions about moving to Oz, she was born in Sydney so I would get a spouse visa (have lived together for 5 years +).
What sort of dilemas did you face about moving to Oz?? Not really a great family man myself so we both haven't really any ties here, just after a better life style. We live just outside of Oxford so cost of living etc would be abit more but not worried about that.....

Or should we just take the plunge and see how it goes......

Have been on here a while so have read both the good and bad or things...
You and me both! We have held off going due to ill parents, house sale etc. Really regretting it now as visa runs out in a few months - and if we go now we are NOT going to be in as good a financial position as if we stay. With 2 kids the risk is high!! Lots of tears and very anxious discussions.
Go for it NOW don't wait and wait like us and regret it.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by James and Alison
You and me both! We have held off going due to ill parents, house sale etc. Really regretting it now as visa runs out in a few months - and if we go now we are NOT going to be in as good a financial position as if we stay. With 2 kids the risk is high!! Lots of tears and very anxious discussions.
Go for it NOW don't wait and wait like us and regret it.
Gutted for you both, hope things work out for you.
Will try and make our minds up, but don't want to be sat there what if!!!
Just don't know whats tying me here though!!!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oxford_lad
not really too sure whats stopping us really.

I'm a design engineer and my partner works for the police doing crime scenes.
We would do any work to start with, I've not been to Oz before just am thinking if I don't do it now I never will!!!
I would seriously say to not underestimate the effect of taking a huge step back in your career & the risk of never getting back to where you were, it is huge!
Your wife should perhaps pm Sue Brennan who works in forensics with the Met & really struggled to find work in Aus. May help her to get a better view of her chances in her field. Am sure Sue would not mind!
Research, research, research & then take a risk! LOL!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
I would seriously say to not underestimate the effect of taking a huge step back in your career & the risk of never getting back to where you were, it is huge!
Your wife should perhaps pm Sue Brennan who works in forensics with the Met & really struggled to find work in Aus. May help her to get a better view of her chances in her field. Am sure Sue would not mind!
Research, research, research & then take a risk! LOL!
Thanks for that. From what I can gather I should be okay for work and luckly I think my girlfriend wants to change career anyway so might be good!!
Thanks for the contact though will keep it!!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

My OH applied for a spousal.Just ensure you have all the paper work required because its bloody endless!
Old Apr 6th 2010, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it all depends on what you mean by "better" lifestyle. If you want to live on a beach then sure it will be better. If you want that sort of lifestyle which includes weekend continental breaks, history and variety of scenery and seasons then probably it wont be better. Personally I wouldnt be changing just outside of Oxford (even though Oxford is anathema to a Cambridge girl) for Sydney but each to their own.

I wouldnt worry too much about the UK "going down the pan" - Australia now has a total numpty of a PM and Labor government which is doing its best to send Australia down to join it (and will be in power for some time to come). We are all part of the Western World, whereever that may be heading!

At the end of it all though, if you want an adventure and can do it without screwing up your life/career then go for it. Dont burn any bridges and you should be fine.

Edited to say - I think the Met allows career breaks so maybe your gf could get one from her job at least (my son's fiance has been talking about the poss of taking them so she can join my son on postings so dont know if they apply only for certain situations but worth checking out)
Old Apr 7th 2010, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I guess it all depends on what you mean by "better" lifestyle. If you want to live on a beach then sure it will be better. If you want that sort of lifestyle which includes weekend continental breaks, history and variety of scenery and seasons then probably it wont be better. Personally I wouldnt be changing just outside of Oxford (even though Oxford is anathema to a Cambridge girl) for Sydney but each to their own.

I wouldnt worry too much about the UK "going down the pan" - Australia now has a total numpty of a PM and Labor government which is doing its best to send Australia down to join it (and will be in power for some time to come). We are all part of the Western World, whereever that may be heading!

At the end of it all though, if you want an adventure and can do it without screwing up your life/career then go for it. Dont burn any bridges and you should be fine.

Edited to say - I think the Met allows career breaks so maybe your gf could get one from her job at least (my son's fiance has been talking about the poss of taking them so she can join my son on postings so dont know if they apply only for certain situations but worth checking out)
Great idea, do it for a year and see how it goes. Leave all the doors open to return and you have the best of both Worlds.