Gluten free diet

Old Feb 10th 2012, 2:29 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gluten free diet

I struggle with airline food - if I order GF I'm invariably served an omelette, if I order vegetarian I'm often served pasta. Thankfully I'm not so strict and won't be really ill if I eat any of my intolerances but I do usually try to minimise the risk of being unwell when travelling.

So I tried the raw food meals one trip, was ready to cut my wrists with a plastic knife by the time I got to the UK

Some wine is processed using egg, milk and even fish, unfortunately. Drink Veuve, I say!
Old Feb 10th 2012, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I struggle with airline food - if I order GF I'm invariably served an omelette, if I order vegetarian I'm often served pasta. Thankfully I'm not so strict and won't be really ill if I eat any of my intolerances but I do usually try to minimise the risk of being unwell when travelling.

So I tried the raw food meals one trip, was ready to cut my wrists with a plastic knife by the time I got to the UK

Some wine is processed using egg, milk and even fish, unfortunately. Drink Veuve, I say!
Yeah, the GF meals on airplanes do leave a lot to be desired. They just seem to be a LOT of white...like rice everything...I found them really bland (I was GF for about two years at one point back in my 30s)...I know airlines like to think of the bottom line, but knowing how tasty GF cooking can be with a little effort, it was still a shock to get a tray of stale, crunchy, processed rice everything...ack.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 6:26 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NSWP
Masterfoods GF gravies in tins.
*vomit smiley*
Old Feb 10th 2012, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Let me sell you a thermomix.... Make your own gluten free flour ....
Old Feb 10th 2012, 6:40 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by eddie007
Let me sell you a thermomix.... Make your own gluten free flour ....
I just buy it in bags from the supermarket. Weird, I know.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

The rice noodles were fab- did a stir-fry with prawns, snow peas, bok choi, onion,cabbage, beansprouts and carrots- used a bit of five spice powder, fish sauce and tiny bit of hoisin. My oh says it was delicious and wants me to do it again, but with no prawns, just veggies. I followed it with stewed sugar plums and custard for them.

This morning I had gluten free meusli, which was quite tasty, even if I have to have it with soy milk.

I've tried lactose free dishes on flights. They consisted of rice and an indeterminate grey spicy fish- I was ill! so coming back I didn't tell them, and just took my pick from the ordinary meals: much better.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:52 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been told to avoid oats? I know there is a lot of debate about them re. gluten but I do eat them. I make my own breakfast up with oats, chopped almonds and I grind up seeds - 1 part each of sesame, sunflower and pumpkin to 2 parts Flax/Linseed. Add chopped fruit (fresh, not dried) and soy milk, rice milk, or in my case sheep's yoghurt - great start to the day with slow release carbs.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

NSWP will become famous soon enoughNSWP will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Gluten free diet

Have you been told to avoid oats? I know there is a lot of debate about them re. gluten but I do eat them. I make my own breakfast up with oats, chopped almonds and I grind up seeds - 1 part each of sesame, sunflower and pumpkin to 2 parts Flax/Linseed. Add chopped fruit (fresh, not dried) and soy milk, rice milk, or in my case sheep's yoghurt - great start to the day with slow release carbs.
OATS are a no no for medically diagnosed coeliacs. They contain gluten. Oats might be ok for people just with a wheat allergy.

The no no's for Coeliacs, are Wheat, Barley, Oats and Rye, all contain GLUTEN, which attacks your immune system.

As for airline food, if I see another rice cake. All Qantas served me recently from LAX to Sydney was a fruit salad and rice cake - pathetic.

I hear the UK Supermarkets, Tescos, Sainsburys etc, have a good variety of GF tucker, soon to find out when I step ashore at Southampton on 27 April after a tough 49 days on the good ship 'Arcadia.'

Last edited by NSWP; Feb 11th 2012 at 11:21 am.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 11:15 am
Auntie Fa

Yes that's why I asked, because so far you are the only person that has mentioned Coeliacs. (I'm not but do have experience of it, and have travelled with a Coeliac teen who was better fed than her father and I!)

I often book the strict Indian Vegetarian meals on flights now just to get a meal that tastes of something. Thankfully I do love curry, and can eat it for breakfast
Old Feb 11th 2012, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

NSWP will become famous soon enoughNSWP will become famous soon enough

Yes that's why I asked, because so far you are the only person that has mentioned Coeliacs. (I'm not but do have experience of it, and have travelled with a Coeliac teen who was better fed than her father and I!)

I often book the strict Indian Vegetarian meals on flights now just to get a meal that tastes of something. Thankfully I do love curry, and can eat it for breakfast
I have to avoid curries unless I know the thickener in the gravy is not derived from wheat. I hope those Indian cooks on Arcadia can rustle me up a GF Curry, because I will request it.

You seem very healthy by your picture!Must be the Vegies!
Old Feb 11th 2012, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I also recommend the Coliac Society iphone app.
Has list of ingredients, and also a additive section. So while your in the supermarket or eating out its quick to check if its gluten free.

The flour in the supermarkets usually works fine for any cake recipe.

Gems
Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter's friend who is coeliac is a member of the coeliac society, and has lent me some reading material.

I am not coeliac, but have inflammation and atypical changes in the bowel. The GI doc said to avoid gluten for at least 3 months to see if it made a difference. I do have one of the genes that are a marker for it though, so he wants me to treat it as though I am coeliac, until he does a second gastroscopy to see if the changes have resolved.
He said I could probably eat oats, but for the first few months I'll steer clear.

The app would only be useful to me if I had a smart phone:lol!

Last edited by carolinephillips; Feb 11th 2012 at 8:25 pm. Reason: technology!
Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst oats do contain gluten it is a different kind of gluten that is found in wheat and the rest. Some people can tolerate oats, others cant - however the biggest problem is massive cross-contamination as they are nearly always processed in the same places as flour, and cultivated by the same equipment as the grains containing gluten.

here is an informative link about it
http://celiac-disease.com/gluten-fre...-you-eat-oats/
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
Whilst oats do contain gluten it is a different kind of gluten that is found in wheat and the rest. Some people can tolerate oats, others cant - however the biggest problem is massive cross-contamination as they are nearly always processed in the same places as flour, and cultivated by the same equipment as the grains containing gluten.

here is an informative link about it
http://celiac-disease.com/gluten-fre...-you-eat-oats/
That's what I was going to say...beat me to it.

I don't know about Oz, but in Canada we used to be able to pick up certified contaminant-free oats, but they were about $9.00 for 900g at specialty shops...you'd have to really be wanting (and missing) oatmeal once a week at that price.

Last edited by Japonica; Feb 11th 2012 at 9:29 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 1:42 pm
Auntie Fa

Just came across this and thought it might be handy. Obviously dairy- and egg-free, also has a gluten-free section.

http://crueltyfreeshop.com.au/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.