Gillard in the US

Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:06 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gillard in the US

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Looks like Gillard has been plagiarising U2's Bono in her speech...
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
Fortunately they'll all think she's a cockney and is the PM of England.
PM of Austria more like it.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:16 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoldCoastMag
I wasn't embarrassed. The speech did the job it was meant to, just as John Howard spoke, if their aussie accents grate on you and you live in Oz, tough, you better get used to it.
I've not heard the speech. I was just making light of the complaints. I have no problem with her accent or her earlobes. So I have nothing to get used to.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:19 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't embarrassed. The speech did the job it was meant to, just as John Howard spoke, if their aussie accents grate on you and you live in Oz, tough, you better get used to it.
I wasn't embarassed either - she was playing to her audience, I just don't like her
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:36 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

There's always one that digs out the old 'get used to it' imperative isn't there. I think if Henry Kissinger had come out with the speech Ms Gillard delivered he would have gone down in history as a simpleton. It just portrayed Australia so badly. Where is Kevin? He could actually speak at least two languages rather than struggle with one.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

washington post states that there was a very low turn out for her, and they had to bring in staffers to make the place look full
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

No.
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
There's always one that digs out the old 'get used to it' imperative isn't there. I think if Henry Kissinger had come out with the speech Ms Gillard delivered he would have gone down in history as a simpleton. It just portrayed Australia so badly. Where is Kevin? He could actually speak at least two languages rather than struggle with one.
Have you listened to Kissinger? I struggle to understand him far more than Gillard. No offence but you're not seeing and hearing her from the view point of the rest of the world.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:54 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Sad fact is that Australia isn't the world player it thinks it is, not yet anyway. The Yanks are getting friendly because they see a possibility of pissing on us and telling us it's raining.

It's what the yanks do, they have a 'special relationship' with whoever they can exploit

cynic pill kicking in nicely
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:58 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
Sad fact is that Australia isn't the world player it thinks it is, not yet anyway. The Yanks are getting friendly because they see a possibility of pissing on us and telling us it's raining.

It's what the yanks do, they have a 'special relationship' with whoever they can exploit

cynic pill kicking in nicely
Just when they need some cannon fodder for Libya.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:59 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Indeedy
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:35 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I wasn't embarassed either - she was playing to her audience, I just don't like her
But i don,t like you , that holds the same importance.......MM
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:46 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Actually I think its because they want greater access to Australian port facilities for the Pacfic Fleet. They will be making it abundantly clear to China that they run this part of the Pacific... and that it will be staying that way.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
It wasn't the best speech in the world.

But playing to American sentiment was quite a good idea and the 2001 Firefighter clearly resonated - this is precisely what will win over American hearts and minds..

Her afterdinner speech apparently got worse as she got tired...

Originally Posted by stevenglish
I don't think that Australia sees itself as a world player. To be honest, they can't really win - they are either acused of having an inferiority complex or having a superiority complex whatever they do.

I see them as being a very close 'mate' of the UK and the UK due to past history and cultural ties - in a way many other countries will never be -but also a distant 'cousin' due to geographical location and a smaller economy.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Her afterdinner speech apparently got worse as she got tired...
Probably her speech writers didn't have any material to pinch from rock bands...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.