Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Games - Aussie parochial attitudes

Games - Aussie parochial attitudes

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Games - Aussie parochial attitudes

My Mother is over visiting from Scotland. On Monday she went to the MCG with my wife and 2 young kids. During the morning session she stepped out of the arena with my 3 year old son to grab a coffee and was approached by a member of the Games staff. Did she or my son want to write a wee message of support for the athletes ? All messages from kids will be shown on the Scoreboard in the stadium. My Mum wrote - "C'mon Scotland" and was promptly told that was not allowed. Only messages for Australia are allowed.

So Melbourne is welcoming the world to the friendly games. Happy to accept visitors cash; please spend your money in the bars, on taxis, in restaurants and fill the hotels. But keep your mouth shut if you're not yelling Aussie, Aussie, Aussie.

Bunch of arse.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Games - Aussie parochial attitudes

Originally Posted by haggis supper
My Mother is over visiting from Scotland. On Monday she went to the MCG with my wife and 2 young kids. During the morning session she stepped out of the arena with my 3 year old son to grab a coffee and was approached by a member of the Games staff. Did she or my son want to write a wee message of support for the athletes ? All messages from kids will be shown on the Scoreboard in the stadium. My Mum wrote - "C'mon Scotland" and was promptly told that was not allowed. Only messages for Australia are allowed.

So Melbourne is welcoming the world to the friendly games. Happy to accept visitors cash; please spend your money in the bars, on taxis, in restaurants and fill the hotels. But keep your mouth shut if you're not yelling Aussie, Aussie, Aussie.

Bunch of arse.
Thats OK Ive just been deported to Bangladesh for wanting to see other teams

Seriously thats disgusting, when did the commonweatlh become just australia good job it wasnt my mum she'd have sued them for being racist.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that sucks. I am a volunteer at the Games and at my venue there is none of that going on, we get behind all the teams. I'm not Australian and my team leader keeps me up to date on all of Englands medals through the day as well
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:02 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teliko21
I'm not Australian and my team leader keeps me up to date on all of Englands medals through the day as well
can she keep ch9 up to date with it too
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
can she keep ch9 up to date with it too
I wish! I have yet to watch any of the action on TV, I don't want to see the highlights of the Australian action everyday, there is more than 1 country in the Commonwealth after all
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:09 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

I wish! I have yet to watch any of the action on TV, I don't want to see the highlights of the Australian action everyday, there is more than 1 country in the Commonwealth after all
are u sure???? i thought Australia was the commonwealth
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

You haveobviously been in Australia too long, the mind control is working on you
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:16 am
Master of verbal pish©

You haveobviously been in Australia too long, the mind control is working on you
lmao, yeh i think it is.
i have decided to leave the telly off tonight
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

lmao, yeh i think it is.
i have decided to leave the telly off tonight
Our TV is always off, I just can't stand it anymore I want to watch a Tv program not Ads!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:24 am
Master of verbal pish©

Our TV is always off, I just can't stand it anymore I want to watch a Tv program not Ads!
i will just have to get in to training for the next games.
that way ill be doon the pub when its on
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:33 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper

Bunch of arse.
Mate, Welcome to Australia. There is a tendency here to go overboard on things. It will piss you off (it does me) and sometimes it's just arrogant and rude like in the example you just stated.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:36 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they think so too as they call the place: The Commonwealth of Australia
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Think it should be renamed 'The Aussie Games'!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Think it should be renamed 'The Aussie Games'!!!
And don't they get depressed if they don't win a GOLD one!!!