British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Games - Aussie parochial attitudes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/games-aussie-parochial-attitudes-362805/)

haggis supper Mar 22nd 2006 5:47 am

Games - Aussie parochial attitudes

My Mother is over visiting from Scotland. On Monday she went to the MCG with my wife and 2 young kids. During the morning session she stepped out of the arena with my 3 year old son to grab a coffee and was approached by a member of the Games staff. Did she or my son want to write a wee message of support for the athletes ? All messages from kids will be shown on the Scoreboard in the stadium. My Mum wrote - "C'mon Scotland" and was promptly told that was not allowed. Only messages for Australia are allowed. :(

So Melbourne is welcoming the world to the friendly games. Happy to accept visitors cash; please spend your money in the bars, on taxis, in restaurants and fill the hotels. But keep your mouth shut if you're not yelling Aussie, Aussie, Aussie.

Bunch of arse. :mad:

jad n rich Mar 22nd 2006 6:09 am

Re: Games - Aussie parochial attitudes

Originally Posted by haggis supper
My Mother is over visiting from Scotland. On Monday she went to the MCG with my wife and 2 young kids. During the morning session she stepped out of the arena with my 3 year old son to grab a coffee and was approached by a member of the Games staff. Did she or my son want to write a wee message of support for the athletes ? All messages from kids will be shown on the Scoreboard in the stadium. My Mum wrote - "C'mon Scotland" and was promptly told that was not allowed. Only messages for Australia are allowed. :(

So Melbourne is welcoming the world to the friendly games. Happy to accept visitors cash; please spend your money in the bars, on taxis, in restaurants and fill the hotels. But keep your mouth shut if you're not yelling Aussie, Aussie, Aussie.

Thats OK Ive just been deported to Bangladesh for wanting to see other teams :D

Seriously thats disgusting, when did the commonweatlh become just australia :confused: good job it wasnt my mum :eek: she'd have sued them for being racist.

Teliko21 Mar 22nd 2006 7:56 am

Wow that sucks. I am a volunteer at the Games and at my venue there is none of that going on, we get behind all the teams. I'm not Australian and my team leader keeps me up to date on all of Englands medals through the day as well :D

soapy© Mar 22nd 2006 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Teliko21
I'm not Australian and my team leader keeps me up to date on all of Englands medals through the day as well :D

can she keep ch9 up to date with it too :p :D

Teliko21 Mar 22nd 2006 8:04 am

Originally Posted by soapy
can she keep ch9 up to date with it too :p :D

I wish! I have yet to watch any of the action on TV, I don't want to see the highlights of the Australian action everyday, there is more than 1 country in the Commonwealth after all :D

soapy© Mar 22nd 2006 8:09 am

I wish! I have yet to watch any of the action on TV, I don't want to see the highlights of the Australian action everyday, there is more than 1 country in the Commonwealth after all :D

are u sure???? i thought Australia was the commonwealth :p

Teliko21 Mar 22nd 2006 8:12 am

You haveobviously been in Australia too long, the mind control is working on you :p

soapy© Mar 22nd 2006 8:16 am

You haveobviously been in Australia too long, the mind control is working on you :p

lmao, yeh i think it is.
i have decided to leave the telly off tonight ;)

Teliko21 Mar 22nd 2006 8:22 am

lmao, yeh i think it is.
i have decided to leave the telly off tonight ;)

Our TV is always off, I just can't stand it anymore :p I want to watch a Tv program not Ads!

soapy© Mar 22nd 2006 8:24 am

Our TV is always off, I just can't stand it anymore :p I want to watch a Tv program not Ads!

i will just have to get in to training for the next games.
that way ill be doon the pub when its on :beer: :D

kiwichild Mar 22nd 2006 8:33 am

Originally Posted by haggis supper

Mate, Welcome to Australia. There is a tendency here to go overboard on things. It will piss you off (it does me) and sometimes it's just arrogant and rude like in the example you just stated.

kiwichild Mar 22nd 2006 8:36 am

Maybe they think so too as they call the place: The Commonwealth of Australia :D

sj oldfield Mar 22nd 2006 10:50 am

Think it should be renamed 'The Aussie Games'!!!

kiwichild Mar 22nd 2006 11:13 am

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Think it should be renamed 'The Aussie Games'!!!

And don't they get depressed if they don't win a GOLD one!!! :D