Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Free maths tuition from Mcdonalds

Free maths tuition from Mcdonalds

Old Apr 1st 2009, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future
Default Free maths tuition from Mcdonalds

McDonalds Australia is providing this free online maths tutoring program http://www.mathsonline.com.au/ It is intended for high school students (although I have registered my son who is not yet at high school) and is based on "Australian state curricula for Years 7 - 12".

If nothing else, it is interesting to see the level of difficulty for each of the year groups. (I'm sure coolerking will enjoy the explanation of BIDMAS/BODMAS given by the tutor to year 7/8).
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:29 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free maths tuition from Mcdonalds

Originally Posted by hoveactually
McDonalds Australia is providing this free online maths tutoring program http://www.mathsonline.com.au/ It is intended for high school students (although I have registered my son who is not yet at high school) and is based on "Australian state curricula for Years 7 - 12".

If nothing else, it is interesting to see the level of difficulty for each of the year groups. (I'm sure coolerking will enjoy the explanation of BIDMAS/BODMAS given by the tutor to year 7/8).
Tried the demo and I quite like it, there did appear to be a lack of a basic formula for pythagoras missing from it which to me is a fundamental error but maybe I am being picky.

It's a cross between mathswatch videos and mymaths in the uk.

Remember, it's BIDMAS

Cooler
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Tried the demo and I quite like it, there did appear to be a lack of a basic formula for pythagoras missing from it which to me is a fundamental error but maybe I am being picky.

It's a cross between mathswatch videos and mymaths in the uk.

Remember, it's BIDMAS:thumbup:

Cooler
Not according to the tutor on the program - hence my comment .
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy a Big Mac meal costing $7.99 and took the supersize option, at an additional $1.50, followed by a second course of a McFlurry at $2.99, how much change would you get out of $20? (remembering to round up, or down, to the nearest 5 cents).
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:24 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler

Remember, it's BIDMAS

Cooler

Not necessarily.... it's all relevant to the country. What's BIDMAS to you is BEDMAS to me. I'm a math teacher and for me (in Canada) it's always been BEDMAS.

Brackets
Exponents
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction

I see in the UK they use the term indices instead of exponents.

Copied from WIKI:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

Acronyms

In the United States, the acronym PEMDAS (for Parentheses, Exponentiation, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction) is used as a mnemonic, sometimes expressed as the sentence "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" or one of many other variations. Many such acronyms exist in other English speaking countries, where Parentheses may be called Brackets, and Exponentiation may be called Indices, Powers or Orders. Also, as Multiplication and Division are of equal precedence, M and D may be interchanged; and Of (see example 3, above) is equivalent to Multiplication. With respect to the latter operators, it is usually best to simply work from left to right. This also applies to Addition and Subtraction on most occasions. Thus, we also have BEDMAS, BIDMAS, BIMDAS, BIODMAS, BODMAS, BOMDAS and BPODMAS.

So it's not wrong, just different. So if Australia is using BODMAS then I gather they use the terms Brackets and Order (instead of indices or exponents).
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:55 pm
ABCDiamond

So, what is the answer to 10 - 3 + 2 ?

using any of BEDMAS, BIDMAS, BIMDAS, BIODMAS, BODMAS, BOMDAS or BPODMAS

Addition comes before subtraction yes ? so do we add 3+2 before doing the 10-5 subtraction = 5 ?

or just do 10-3 (subtraction first) then addition aferwards, 7+2 = 9

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by comet555
Not necessarily.... it's all relevant to the country. What's BIDMAS to you is BEDMAS to me. I'm a math teacher and for me (in Canada) it's always been BEDMAS.

Brackets
Exponents
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction

Copied from WIKI:

Acronyms

In the United States, the acronym PEMDAS (for Parentheses, Exponentiation, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction) is used as a mnemonic, sometimes expressed as the sentence "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" or one of many other variations. Many such acronyms exist in other English speaking countries, where Parentheses may be called Brackets, and Exponentiation may be called Indices, Powers or Orders. Also, as Multiplication and Division are of equal precedence, M and D may be interchanged; and Of (see example 3, above) is equivalent to Multiplication. With respect to the latter operators, it is usually best to simply work from left to right. This also applies to Addition and Subtraction on most occasions. Thus, we also have BEDMAS, BIDMAS, BIMDAS, BIODMAS, BODMAS, BOMDAS and BPODMAS.

So it's not wrong, just different. So if Australia is using BODMAS then I gather they use the terms Brackets and Order (instead of indices or exponents).
What I was referring to is the fact that in the McDonalds program they are using BODMAS with the explanation that the "O" is there simply to assist in saying the word as it is difficult to say BDMAS without this additional letter. There is no mention of order, indices or exponents.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spartacus
If you buy a Big Mac meal costing $7.99 and took the supersize option, at an additional $1.50, followed by a second course of a McFlurry at $2.99, how much change would you get out of $20? (remembering to round up, or down, to the nearest 5 cents).
Thank goodness the till works this out automatically - our local McDonalds gets thrown into total confusion simply by asking for a Big Mac with no cheese.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:08 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555

Brackets
Exponents
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction

Copied from WIKI:

Acronyms

Well, the 'O' in BODMAS when used by some teachers in the UK means 'of'. Usually because it is being taught to primary school children. But the 'I' obviously has equivalents. As I teach in a school with a strong Jamaican influence, I always say that the 'I' is where the fish live (bad Jamaican accent), "In da seas"...

Cooler
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:14 pm
Capt Hilts

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
So, what is the answer to 10 - 3 + 2 ?

using any of BEDMAS, BIDMAS, BIMDAS, BIODMAS, BODMAS, BOMDAS or BPODMAS

Addition comes before subtraction yes ? so do we add 3+2 before doing the 10-5 subtraction = 5 ? See me!

or just do 10-3 (subtraction first) then addition aferwards, 7+2 = 9
You know ABC

Ten take 3 plus 2

so 3 + 2 is actually, -3 + 2

HW
Use 2, 4, 6 and 8 once and only once
and
the operations +, -, X or /

Make 25.

Cooler
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:17 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I hadn't gotten that far into the site. I didn't bother once I saw you needed to create an account. Free or not I only wanted a quick look so I didn't bother. My daughter is only 5 so won't be needing it anytime soon!

But yes, for kids I can see why the exponents is left out. But it should certainly be included in the older grades 7-12 or so.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:23 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Dont care just pay by credit card
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 12:44 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

And how many hours would you need to run to shed the lard?
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoveactually

I have never met so many numerically challenged people in my life than in Aus.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 10:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kevin747
I have never met so many numerically challenged people in my life than in Aus.
What area's have you lived in ?

PISA 2007 Education Report
An article in the Daily Telegraph in December 2007 showed the rankings of 57 countries in the subjects of Reading, Maths & Science.
In Maths, the UK was position 24, and Australia at position 13

TIMSS 2007 Education report
Actual score Results for Senior Mathematics:
513 England Year 9
496 Australia Year 8
487 Scotland Year 9

The Benchmark Points System is:
625 Advanced
550 High
475 Intermediate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.