Food...

Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all
Default Food...

Ok, am not going to be entering masterchef anytime soon, my food skills are basic and I admit to a heavy reliance on a certain well known food hall in the uk (M&S).

BUT, can you please tell me how you shop? So far I have been to Coles and woolworths. But want nice food I can do interesting meals with...

Am going to check out Vic Market this weekend but that's not a weekly option due to living in the east not the centre.

I never thought I would miss food above everything else! Please don't shout me down for that, just advise...
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all
Default Re: Food...

Oh and where to buy gammon joints, to cook myself...
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Coles and Wollies both sell food. Are you sure you took a good look around?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Think I need to find a deli and independant butchers.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There's been a few threads on good butchers and I'm certain various Melbourne ones have been mentioned. Have a search.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3
Oh and where to buy gammon joints, to cook myself...
You should at least be able to get those in Melbourne, spare a thought for those of us in Queensland
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks will have a good look.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 4:59 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was exactly the same when we arrived, and believe me i'm still no cook, but i have improved a bit and more organized , as there is just not the 'convenience food' around that there is in the u.k. I used to rely on m&s and asda to do my cooking for me

We visit the butcher, baker and candlestick maker then its aldi then coles for the rest.

You'll get used to it. I do love to visit the vic market on occasion, but its too far for me to be practical, and tbh i find i spend more when i visit the markets

If i am in Dandenong i treat myself to a visit to Robb's british butcher for pork pies and slice suasage, and a wee bit haggis, lol

Last edited by Margaret3; Jul 30th 2012 at 5:08 am.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you, exactly what I was hoping to read.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You should at least be able to get those in Melbourne, spare a thought for those of us in Queensland
Good butchers in Banyo!
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
If i am in Dandenong i treat myself to a visit to Robb's british butcher for pork pies and slice suasage, and a wee bit haggis, lol
Yep, Rob's in Dandenong on the main road is a good place to go for things like sausages, bacon, gammon, pork pies and other stuff too. You might also find another butcher more locally who stocks some things from Rob's - I've spotted things from there in butchers in both Mount Waverley and Berwick.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think there's a British butcher on the south side of Brisbane isn't there?
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Food...

Originally Posted by Mummy3
Thank you, exactly what I was hoping to read.
We do a lot of shopping for staples at ALDI (no we don't eat STAPLES....) and get all our meat from Metro Meats on Boundary Road in Mordialloc, which is a wholesale butcher with a factory shop. Great quality and cheap.

We also buy quite a bit from the Italian grocers at Parkdale Plaza, fresh fish, vegetables and a great deli....love it.

Anything we can't get at the above (like Jalna yoghurt) we get from Woolworths but we don't spend enough there to even get the petrol discount!

It's not too far for you to get to Kingston Farmers Market this Saturday morning from about 8am, its on the Nepean Highway just north of Southland. Lots of home-grown produce.

BB
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Go on to Recipes.com and perhaps get some ideas.We eat different food than we did in the Uk.I rarely do the meat and two veg meals much these days.We eat more pasta,noodles and Asian food and fish.Try some of the vegetables that you haven't had before..
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:56 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Go on to Recipes.com and perhaps get some ideas.We eat different food than we did in the Uk.I rarely do the meat and two veg meals much these days.We eat more pasta,noodles and Asian food and fish.Try some of the vegetables that you haven't had before..

My OH is a dab hand at stir frys now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.