British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Food... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/food-766643/)

Mummy3 Jul 30th 2012 4:03 am

Food...

Ok, am not going to be entering masterchef anytime soon, my food skills are basic and I admit to a heavy reliance on a certain well known food hall in the uk (M&S).:o

BUT, can you please tell me how you shop? So far I have been to Coles and woolworths. But want nice food I can do interesting meals with...

Am going to check out Vic Market this weekend but that's not a weekly option due to living in the east not the centre.

I never thought I would miss food above everything else! Please don't shout me down for that, just advise...:confused:

Mummy3 Jul 30th 2012 4:04 am

Re: Food...

Oh and where to buy gammon joints, to cook myself...

knockoff nige Jul 30th 2012 4:06 am

Coles and Wollies both sell food. Are you sure you took a good look around?

Mummy3 Jul 30th 2012 4:12 am

Think I need to find a deli and independant butchers.

moneypenny20 Jul 30th 2012 4:34 am

There's been a few threads on good butchers and I'm certain various Melbourne ones have been mentioned. Have a search. :D

Pollyana Jul 30th 2012 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Mummy3 (Post 10200351)
Oh and where to buy gammon joints, to cook myself...

You should at least be able to get those in Melbourne, spare a thought for those of us in Queensland :(

Mummy3 Jul 30th 2012 4:45 am

Thanks will have a good look.

Margaret3 Jul 30th 2012 4:59 am

I was exactly the same when we arrived, and believe me i'm still no cook:huh:, but i have improved a bit and more organized , as there is just not the 'convenience food' around that there is in the u.k. I used to rely on m&s and asda to do my cooking for me:lol:

We visit the butcher, baker and candlestick maker then its aldi then coles for the rest.

You'll get used to it. I do love to visit the vic market on occasion, but its too far for me to be practical, and tbh i find i spend more when i visit the markets:)

If i am in Dandenong i treat myself to a visit to Robb's british butcher for pork pies and slice suasage, and a wee bit haggis, lol

Mummy3 Jul 30th 2012 7:00 am

Thank you, exactly what I was hoping to read.

Tramps_mate Jul 30th 2012 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10200375)
You should at least be able to get those in Melbourne, spare a thought for those of us in Queensland :(

Good butchers in Banyo!

roaringmouse Jul 30th 2012 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 10200385)
If i am in Dandenong i treat myself to a visit to Robb's british butcher for pork pies and slice suasage, and a wee bit haggis, lol

Yep, Rob's in Dandenong on the main road is a good place to go for things like sausages, bacon, gammon, pork pies and other stuff too. You might also find another butcher more locally who stocks some things from Rob's - I've spotted things from there in butchers in both Mount Waverley and Berwick.

roaringmouse Jul 30th 2012 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10200375)

I think there's a British butcher on the south side of Brisbane isn't there?

Buzzy--Bee Jul 30th 2012 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Mummy3 (Post 10200485)
Thank you, exactly what I was hoping to read.

We do a lot of shopping for staples at ALDI (no we don't eat STAPLES....) and get all our meat from Metro Meats on Boundary Road in Mordialloc, which is a wholesale butcher with a factory shop. Great quality and cheap.

We also buy quite a bit from the Italian grocers at Parkdale Plaza, fresh fish, vegetables and a great deli....love it.

Anything we can't get at the above (like Jalna yoghurt) we get from Woolworths but we don't spend enough there to even get the petrol discount!

It's not too far for you to get to Kingston Farmers Market this Saturday morning from about 8am, its on the Nepean Highway just north of Southland. Lots of home-grown produce.

BB

irishbloo Jul 30th 2012 8:53 am

Go on to Recipes.com and perhaps get some ideas.We eat different food than we did in the Uk.I rarely do the meat and two veg meals much these days.We eat more pasta,noodles and Asian food and fish.Try some of the vegetables that you haven't had before..

Margaret3 Jul 30th 2012 8:56 am

Originally Posted by irishbloo (Post 10200622)
Go on to Recipes.com and perhaps get some ideas.We eat different food than we did in the Uk.I rarely do the meat and two veg meals much these days.We eat more pasta,noodles and Asian food and fish.Try some of the vegetables that you haven't had before..

My OH is a dab hand at stir frys now.