Flood Levy

Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:14 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flood Levy

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
Well said Hevs. If the ones whinging on $100k+ feel hard done by cos they dont get their handouts and they have to pay $5 per week, why dont they give up the $100k salaries and get a lower paying job so they do qualify and dont have to pay. Bet they wont though. They'll just continue to go 'Woe is me.'
Thats a good plan. Everyone who earns "lots" (which by definition in here means 100k? ) give up and go on the bludger bus. I shall consider it.

Is it wrong to be irritated that you have to give up 'more' money on top of the 50% tax rate, on top of the medicare levy, on top of having Zero rebates for school tax etc on top of the waste for putting electrified insulation into roofs.

Its my money - I earn it - I decide how I spend it , am I to put x% aside in case the government decides that something else needs a hand out?. Should I maybe take a child out of school to fund this ? Would you be happy making that decision? Im fortunate in that I dont have that problem I can afford to pay this but there are LOTS of people who WONT have that luxury who are FORCED to pay it.

Working 80hrs a week to earn a good amount of money is personal choice people do it for various reasons, because they can, becuase they want to,very very few people earn 'lots' of money by sitting on their ass or doing 35hrs a week and taking lunch breaks.

Trying to pay in 1 year for roads and capital infrastructure that has a life span of 50yrs+ is plain bloody stupid. No Company on earth does that - capital projects are funded over long term - nobody puts cash into capital.

And I am damn sure that if you ask 90% of the people who listen to news/gillard roadshow they think this 5B$ is going to the people "Doing it tough" in queensland when its not and yes the charity donations are going to dry up.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen

Thats a good plan. Everyone who earns "lots" (which by definition in here means 100k? ) give up and go on the bludger bus. I shall consider it.

Is it wrong to be irritated that you have to give up 'more' money on top of the 50% tax rate, on top of the medicare levy, on top of having Zero rebates for school tax etc on top of the waste for putting electrified insulation into roofs.
I think from now on we should call 100k what it really is = shall we say 65K*

The figure you end up with after the govt takes in tax, super, medicare, etc.

* Obviously this will vary on single, kids, income package etc.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:43 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Infrastructure will give a return from the economic activity that will return once rebuilt. Without a rapid rebuild there will be a bigger hit on the economy. We would would pay for it with higher food prices long term without the rebuild.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:44 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Infrastructure will give a return from the economic activity that will return once rebuilt. Without a rapid rebuild there will be a bigger hit on the economy. We would would pay for it with higher food prices long term without the rebuild.
Normally - governments borrow to fund capital long term projects. My point is - doing it in 1 year through tax is poor.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
In which case insurance premiums reflect this.

It's all very well and good coming over all flumsy and wibbly about compensation, but the hard reality is that there are many parts of the world where building in defiance of nature is a huge risk. It is crass to do so and then expect others to pick up the inevitable bills.

If a government develops areas with a high risk of flood, earthquake etc it should do so with regard to the consequences and budget for them with contingency funds.

What is going to happen, in the good old Australian way - and you can see the mindset already - is that they will rebuild in much the same way. Let's hope they get it all finished before the next major flood.
I agree. The insurance premium could reflect the risk or no insurance could be offered. The only change I think should be made is all policies should be crystal clear. Given that 75% of qld was affected by flooding it might be hard to build it all 10 metres higher.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII

They've only got themselves to blame for living/building in flood prone areas. Caveat emptor. They should accept responsibility for their own decisions instead of expecting the public to bail them out.

If the average self-employed person's business goes under and they 'hit the wall' financially, do they expect the govt or the people to bail them out? No. Does the govt. start a levy for them? No. They chose to start a business and made bad business decisions and thus reap the consequences.

Same with the floods. They chose to live there in full knowledge the areas are prone to floods. Their decision and they need to accept responsibility for their own actions.

This is the biggest problem with society today. The lack of acceptance of responsibility; always expecting someone else to bail them out.

I wasn't.
Why are you railing at people who are not getting the levy. The people who live in the flood zone are not getting the levy. They are losing their own money. They do know this.

The only people with a chance of getting the levy money is business.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:27 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Then a person on 50k who pays no tax and gets benefits on top.

I bet in reality the person on 100k is not that much better off, especially if one took into account health care cards etc, child care rebates etc.
Errrm Pays NO tax, are you mental woman?

Believe me, in REALITY, as a family that used to earn nearly that to a family who now earns less than half of that, the former family were HEAPS better off, HEAPS!!!

Someone of $50k does not get a HCC and the child care rebate is on a sliding scale......
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:32 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM

The charity donations are to help individuals recover. Personally I am donating to Autism charities in the areas.
Good on you I do autism and MS too
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:41 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by spalen
Just because you earn under that doesnt make you a bludger
No, fair call it isnt, but us poor folk pay tax too, and a medicare levvy...
Its my money - I earn it - I decide how I spend it , am I to put x% aside in case the government decides that something else needs a hand out?. Should I maybe take a child out of school to fund this ? Would you be happy making that decision? Im fortunate in that I dont have that problem I can afford to pay this but there are LOTS of people who WONT have that luxury who are FORCED to pay it.
Totally true, but people earning under 50 k are gonna find it a lot tougher, they have kids in schools to, all be it scummy public ones, but hey ho, not everyone has a choice!

Working 80hrs a week to earn a good amount of money is personal choice people do it for various reasons, because they can, becuase they want to,very very few people earn 'lots' of money by sitting on their ass or doing 35hrs a week and taking lunch breaks.
good on you you're lucky you have that choice also.
Trying to pay in 1 year for roads and capital infrastructure that has a life span of 50yrs+ is plain bloody stupid. No Company on earth does that - capital projects are funded over long term - nobody puts cash into capital.
I actually totally agree with you, and if they are that intent on doing it, they should borrow the money at 5.5% instead of the pulic (whatever tax bracket!) having the possibility of putting more stuff on their credit card at 17%!!! [/QUOTE]
And I am damn sure that if you ask 90% of the people who listen to news/gillard roadshow they think this 5B$ is going to the people "Doing it tough" in queensland when its not and yes the charity donations are going to dry up.
Agreed

Last edited by hevs; Jan 28th 2011 at 1:54 am.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:49 am
ah-beng

Originally Posted by hevs
Just because you earn under that doesnt make you a bludger
n:
Agreed- I didnt mean that, I meant the concept of work less to claim benefits.

Sorry
Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Why are you railing at people who are not getting the levy. The people who live in the flood zone are not getting the levy. They are losing their own money. They do know this.

The only people with a chance of getting the levy money is business.
Did you read the post I was responding too?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Did you read the post I was responding too?
I thought so

This one:

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
The govt is rasing an emergency tax to repair damaged infrastructure. Big difference! None of the money raised by the levy will go directly to the people affected. Thats why donations are still needed. Gifts to the people to help them get back on their feet.
And you said "...No. Does the govt. start a levy for them? No...."

So it looks like you are railing against a levy as people flooded should accept personal responsibility for themselves.

Is this what you meant?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

I thought so

This one:

And you said "...No. Does the govt. start a levy for them? No...."

So it looks like you are railing against a levy as people flooded should accept personal responsibility for themselves.

Is this what you meant?
OK, I can see why you are confused. I was responding to this particular part of the post:

"Thats why donations are still needed. Gifts to the people to help them get back on their feet"

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Jan 28th 2011 at 3:07 am.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:09 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

I've only met one (riverfront million+ property owner) but he was wiped out by the flood...barely hanging on financially. Not sure if he is representative but it would be administratively impossible to determine this without costing us a fortune.

Good point. You're right it would be a nightmare.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The Body Shop seems to have introduced its own flood levy - don't know if its everywhere, but the staff in the Queen Street mall have been told to suggest to every customer that they should round up their purchase to the next $ and give the change to the flood appeal. Not many customers that are going to say No when confronted with that at the till are there ;rolleyes: Although the woman next to me said in that case she was changing from cash to paying by card so that there was no change

I object to that kind of charity giving, its like the people who come up to you in the pub and shake a tin under your nose. I give when i want to who I want, I don't want to be made to feel obliged to give.
Yes I object to that too, I have already donated the amount I wanted, the way I wanted.

During the free transport week I used a bus in the Gold Coast and was told I must donate $2 per person into an open tin to get on the bus, I told the driver I don't have $2 but I have a gocard that is in credit, that is the requirment for using translink services. How do I know he is honest? Maybe he is but the system is open to abuse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.