Flood Levy

Old Jan 27th 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flood Levy

Originally Posted by Wol
Would *you* underwrite a property that's built in a flood prone area, knowing that every few years you will have to pay out many times what premium you collect? 'Cos *I* bl**dy wouldn't.
No need to resort to asterisks mate - not an unsurance agent by any chance are you?
No, I would not insure them - for the simple reason i am not an insurance company.

But you are missing my point entirely. Of course they absolutely have the right not to insure people for flood - what I dont believe they have the right to do is to rip people off by taking their money whilst making them believe they are covered when they are not. It should be made entirely clear whether you are covered or not up front before you pay a fortune in premiums.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
4. I am concerned that some people will use it as an excuse to stop giving donations to the flood affected people and deliberately 'misunderstand' the purpose of the levy. Also that existing non-flood related charities will be affected by that misunderstanding.
Why would anybody donate now when the govt. is forcing them to donate?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:31 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
But you are missing my point entirely. Of course they absolutely have the right not to insure people for flood - what I dont believe they have the right to do is to rip people off by taking their money whilst making them believe they are covered when they are not. It should be made entirely clear whether you are covered or not up front before you pay a fortune in premiums.
It was pretty clear when I went back and looked at my policy ( I live on top of a hill so didnt before ) it said clearly and it was one of the 6 thingsthey highlighted as a major point alongside such material matters as items not covered away from the house. It said explicitly - Flood is rain , Not covered for water rising from rivers or waterways. It could not have been any clearer unless they had rung me and told me as a one-off call.

If I lived in a flood zone next to a river I think I'd have checked that ahead of that event and when I purchased. I dont think I read the PDS for my policy - but I Was told to many many times by the insurance company , that makes me stupid yes, and it'd be my fault if i wasnt covered, I bought something without fully checking it did what I wanted ( I did of course check it did the MAIN things I wanted).

I dont think its fair to slate the insurance companies so much - its people misfortune at buying the wrong product. Yeah - thats crap too - but its not the big bad insurers stealing peoples money.

I keep hearing on the radio from insurance companies saying 'dont worry - we'll take care' I think Suncorp and another CEO were on their own adverts.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:34 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Consumers are required to read the PDS...perhaps some of them don't bother?

Just as an example, I went to the AAMI website, for the insurance policy there was a link:

What we cover - insured events

And under 'No' it says:

Damage or loss caused by flood.

Then there is a definition of what is meant by flood. But even if that definition is too complicated, or you don't read any further, surely those first six words are clear enough.

How else do you think it should be made 'entirely clear' if people don't read their policy docs?
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

They have to raise the levy cos the levee failed

Personally I dont have a problem with paying this, happy to do so. Thats the benefit of federation - states dont have to go it alone in times of emergency / disaster, and who knows in a few years time it could be my area needing assistance.

But...I do have a few concerns

1. I am concerned that only QLD has been mentioned so far. As others have said, will the flood affected infrastructure in NSW, VIC, SA, WA also be covered by this? and if not, why not? If its only QLD then its an unfair levy to the other affected areas, especially northern NSW.
They have been mentioned.

Gillard said payments to other states would be made through existing relief and recovery arrangements.

Vested interests are pushing this line playing politics.

2. I am concerned that the owners of the multi multi million dollar mansions overlooking the Brisbane river will be exempted from this. Yes they are flood affected, but they're still probably in a better situation financially than 99.9% of Australians to pay this levy.
I've only met one (riverfront million+ property owner) but he was wiped out by the flood...barely hanging on financially. Not sure if he is representative but it would be administratively impossible to determine this without costing us a fortune.

3. I am concerned that single income families will be hit harder for this levy than dual income families. (i.e 1x income of $110 will pay so much more extra tax than 2x income of $55k each) But I guess thats just taxation all over.
True.

4. I am concerned that some people will use it as an excuse to stop giving donations to the flood affected people and deliberately 'misunderstand' the purpose of the levy. Also that existing non-flood related charities will be affected by that misunderstanding.
That's true. But a lot of those probably didn't give anyway. They now have their excuse. Listen to the ones who shout loudest that they are no longer giving. That'll be them Will be a shame for genuine people who can't see the different purposes of the money.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 8:59 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
The trouble is, those on roughly $100k mostly do not get any benefits, such as FTA, FTB, Education Tax Rebate, etc. This group are busy paying out for others, but get little back and a lot in this category are struggling. The govt and general community really need to forget about $100k being a high salary for a family, or that someone on this salary is rich. I also know that others in a much better financial situation can claim all sorts of costs and reduce their apparent income so that they do qualify for these benefits. It is the group in the middle that seem to pay for everyone else, even the rich.

C.
I never said rich, however on 1/2 that salary the benefits do not go anywhere NEAR covering the shortfall for someone who is earning over that (and neither should they) However nearly halving our salary (due to unexpected circumstances) I would not be anywhere NEAR to whinging if we earn over $100K and didnt get a few hundred buck a month in hand outs... bring on the $100K anyday....if we, and a lot of others, earn anywhere near that i'm sure we'd survive handing out $5 a week

EDIT to say...I am NOT whinging about being skint btw....just to those who think that cos we have a low income people get millions in hand outs and hearing people whinge when they cant "manage" on double what MANY have to live on.......
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:22 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Too be fair it is every 100 years with some of those houses
In which case insurance premiums reflect this.

It's all very well and good coming over all flumsy and wibbly about compensation, but the hard reality is that there are many parts of the world where building in defiance of nature is a huge risk. It is crass to do so and then expect others to pick up the inevitable bills.

If a government develops areas with a high risk of flood, earthquake etc it should do so with regard to the consequences and budget for them with contingency funds.

What is going to happen, in the good old Australian way - and you can see the mindset already - is that they will rebuild in much the same way. Let's hope they get it all finished before the next major flood.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:48 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Why would anybody donate now when the govt. is forcing them to donate?

See, I knew this would happen. You've got your "excuse" now

The govt are not forcing people to donate.

The govt is rasing an emergency tax to repair damaged infrastructure. Big difference! None of the money raised by the levy will go directly to the people affected. Thats why donations are still needed. Gifts to the people to help them get back on their feet.

(Oh and before you or anyone has a go at me about being left wing pinko Govt supporter, I voted Liberal at the last election and have done most of my life - you can blame me for Howard / Abbott. You cant blame me for Rudd / Gillard )
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I never said rich, however on 1/2 that salary the benefits do not go anywhere NEAR covering the shortfall for someone who is earning over that (and neither should they) However nearly halving our salary (due to unexpected circumstances) I would not be anywhere NEAR to whinging if we earn over $100K and didnt get a few hundred buck a month in hand outs... bring on the $100K anyday....if we, and a lot of others, earn anywhere near that i'm sure we'd survive handing out $5 a week

It would be really interesting to see what ends up in the pocket of a person on 100k salary package, super is usually in that amount, so minus 9 and about 25+ tax, plus medicare/and medicare penalty for not having private health insurance .

Then a person on 50k who pays no tax and gets benefits on top.

I bet in reality the person on 100k is not that much better off, especially if one took into account health care cards etc, child care rebates etc.

I did see these figures in the john howard years when he was knocked for giving a tax cut to some in this income bracket, think it was 48% at the time Interesting reading and made me wonder at the time why on earth people doing the long hours/stressful jobs to earn that sort of money bothered.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jan 27th 2011 at 10:06 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:57 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs

EDIT to say...I am NOT whinging about being skint btw....just to those who think that cos we have a low income people get millions in hand outs and hearing people whinge when they cant "manage" on double what MANY have to live on.......

Well said Hevs. If the ones whinging on $100k+ feel hard done by cos they dont get their handouts and they have to pay $5 per week, why dont they give up the $100k salaries and get a lower paying job so they do qualify and dont have to pay. Bet they wont though. They'll just continue to go 'Woe is me.'
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Consumers are required to read the PDS...perhaps some of them don't bother?

Just as an example, I went to the AAMI website, for the insurance policy there was a link:

What we cover - insured events

And under 'No' it says:

Damage or loss caused by flood.

Then there is a definition of what is meant by flood. But even if that definition is too complicated, or you don't read any further, surely those first six words are clear enough.

How else do you think it should be made 'entirely clear' if people don't read their policy docs?
As i said, I'm not talking about those companies that don't insure for floods and say so -they are within their rights, fair enough. You take that policy you take your chances.
I am talking about the companies that bury the fact that there are different definitions of floods and where they cover one but not the other. There are quite a few out there - even some of the insurance bodies themselves have admitted that the definitions are not always entirely clear.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:07 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Tax is never fair unless you benefit. The proposed levy is for one year. Windsor and Katter want a permanent fund as I reckon the Nationals do if they were not in coalition. Abbott is just being contrarian which is sad in the face of what has happened.

The charity donations are to help individuals recover. Personally I am donating to Autism charities in the areas.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

See, I knew this would happen. You've got your "excuse" now
I don't need an excuse.

The govt are not forcing people to donate.
What is a flood levy if it is not a compulsory/forced donation? Do we get a choice?

The govt is rasing an emergency tax to repair damaged infrastructure. Big difference! None of the money raised by the levy will go directly to the people affected. Thats why donations are still needed. Gifts to the people to help them get back on their feet.
They've only got themselves to blame for living/building in flood prone areas. Caveat emptor. They should accept responsibility for their own decisions instead of expecting the public to bail them out.

If the average self-employed person's business goes under and they 'hit the wall' financially, do they expect the govt or the people to bail them out? No. Does the govt. start a levy for them? No. They chose to start a business and made bad business decisions and thus reap the consequences.

Same with the floods. They chose to live there in full knowledge the areas are prone to floods. Their decision and they need to accept responsibility for their own actions.

This is the biggest problem with society today. The lack of acceptance of responsibility; always expecting someone else to bail them out.

(Oh and before you or anyone has a go at me about being left wing pinko Govt supporter, I voted Liberal at the last election and have done most of my life - you can blame me for Howard / Abbott. You cant blame me for Rudd / Gillard )
I wasn't.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:09 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a choice? I am in that boat with a single income family. There is still a lot of middle class welfare at 100k family income.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
It would be really interesting to see what ends up in the pocket of a person on 100k salary package, super is usually in that amount, so minus 9 and about 25+ tax, plus medicare/and medicare penalty for not having private health insurance .

I bet in reality the person on 100k is not that much better off, especially if one took into account health care cards etc, child care rebates etc.

I did see these figures in the john howard years when he was knocked for giving a tax cut to some in this income bracket, think it was 48% at the time Interesting reading and made me wonder at the time why on earth people doing the long hours/stressful jobs to earn that sort of money bothered.

Last edited by IvanM; Jan 27th 2011 at 10:22 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich

That's socialism in action for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.