Flocking heck

Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:54 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flocking heck

Originally Posted by deb68
Cor, I bet they're expensive.
No prices on the website you have to request a quote.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:56 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Look through your cd collection... All the crappy shite you have collected over the years... Hang the cds on the tree and shine lits on them as they arrive... They wont stay...

Especially if you have any Barry Manilow
I could pinch some of the many Robbie Williams ones but then I'd have to migrate.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

Ok try this little number http://www.organicsaustraliaonline.com.au/prod2451.htm
Old Oct 6th 2011, 3:04 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Thanks. That's more like it.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

So it comes down to the dollar does it
Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:15 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

So it comes down to the dollar does it
I'm outta work like you remember.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 11:25 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
I'm outta work like you remember.
'scares most species of birds'...

All except the ones you want to get rid of.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 12:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
For the past 10 days a flock of Metallic Starlings have decided to roost in the only tree I have in my nature strip. I've checked with the council and basically they've said tough luck.....and don't touch our tree. Every house in our estate has the same sort of tree in their nature strip so I'm just the unlucky one.

Every day at dusk the blighters descend upon the tree and every dawn they depart again. Don't know how many but somewhere in the region of 1000 I would guess. Seems impossible for that many to fit in the tree but eventually they squeeze in.

Problem is the bloomin noise they make. It's like turning your iPod up full at dusk and dawn and there continues to be noisy spells throughout the night.....not condusive to a good nights sleep. There's also an issue of birdshite accumulating.

I tried hosing the buggers as they were arriving one evening but that made no difference. I needed a flame thrower.

So how can I get rid of them?
A couple of litres of ULP and a match - 3 bucks tops.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I could pinch some of the many Robbie Williams ones but then I'd have to migrate.
Do I still have Gill's number????????

No idea but I'll do a swap, I'll take your birds if you take the fricking turkeys that are eating all the chicken food, kicking the food bowl and straw out of the coop and now eating the eggs. :curse:
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:13 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

A woman I used to know who once employed New Guinean staff (back in the colonial days I suppose) told me her staff used to pinch things from the house by gradually moving them, bit at a time, over many days, until the item reached the door and then suddenly, it was gone.

So, given you are dealing with New Guinean birds who like fruit, my theory is that if you hang fruit in other people's trees, bit by bit, in trees further from your tree, eventually the birds will move on to somewhere else.

I know it sounds a bit mad but madness works sometimes.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:20 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Pythons live in trees,
pythons eat birds...

So theres a choice, either:

1) Get a python to live in the tree and feast its way through your flock
2) Get a 'pretend' python to purch in the tree and see if the birds are stupid enough to still roost there

3) Ignore the crazy snake idea and come up with some other plan....
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Pythons live in trees,
pythons eat birds...

So theres a choice, either:

1) Get a python to live in the tree and feast its way through your flock
2) Get a 'pretend' python to purch in the tree and see if the birds are stupid enough to still roost there

3) Ignore the crazy snake idea and come up with some other plan....
I'm NOT offering to send Monty over to help you... I love that little snake
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:42 am
Bix
da Bonehead

I was wondering whether a toy snake would do the trick. Similar to the hawk or owl idea. Trouble is it's turning dark when they arrive so don't know if they would see it properly.

I was chatting to a gardner this morning and he said whatever you do don't touch the tree. Apparently the local council issue fines right, left and centre on anyone touching "their" plants on the nature strip.

He reckons trying the CD trick is the cheapest and easiest solution to try.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:11 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
For the past 10 days a flock of Metallic Starlings have decided to roost in the only tree I have in my nature strip. I've checked with the council and basically they've said tough luck.....and don't touch our tree. Every house in our estate has the same sort of tree in their nature strip so I'm just the unlucky one.

Every day at dusk the blighters descend upon the tree and every dawn they depart again. Don't know how many but somewhere in the region of 1000 I would guess. Seems impossible for that many to fit in the tree but eventually they squeeze in.

Problem is the bloomin noise they make. It's like turning your iPod up full at dusk and dawn and there continues to be noisy spells throughout the night.....not condusive to a good nights sleep. There's also an issue of birdshite accumulating.

I tried hosing the buggers as they were arriving one evening but that made no difference. I needed a flame thrower.

So how can I get rid of them?
Hang up a sign on the tree "Reserved for Private Party" - perhaps they will move on to someone elses tree then .....

Oh and if you can't tell, I have nothing useful to contribute - here or anywhere else

Last edited by SillyOldBag; Oct 7th 2011 at 4:12 am. Reason: my typing is extremely ropey today!
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:23 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
Hang up a sign on the tree "Reserved for Private Party" - perhaps they will move on to someone elses tree then .....

Oh and if you can't tell, I have nothing useful to contribute - here or anywhere else
I'm happy receiving the special attention.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.