Flea Bombs

Old Mar 20th 2010, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Boobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really nice
Default Flea Bombs

Has anyone used one? We seem to be having a problem with dog fleas at the moment. Our puppy got them and passed them on to our older dog and now we can't seem to get rid of them!. We never had a problem with the older dog before the puppy came along. They have been treated with Frontline at the same time but seem to get them back again a week later.

I know they can live in carpets etc for weeks so I'm thinking of using flea bombs. Just wondering how safe they are and do you have to wash all kitchen and furniture down afterwards? I'm assuming the fleas are in the house and that's why we are having a problem.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 3:37 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flea Bombs

Originally Posted by Boobops
Has anyone used one? We seem to be having a problem with dog fleas at the moment. Our puppy got them and passed them on to our older dog and now we can't seem to get rid of them!. We never had a problem with the older dog before the puppy came along. They have been treated with Frontline at the same time but seem to get them back again a week later.

I know they can live in carpets etc for weeks so I'm thinking of using flea bombs. Just wondering how safe they are and do you have to wash all kitchen and furniture down afterwards? I'm assuming the fleas are in the house and that's why we are having a problem.
Personally Ive never used flea bombs. I also never use frontline spot on, the spray is more effective as with the spot on, a heavy infestation of fleas will mean they gather round the animals bum where the chemical is at its weakest.

I like frontline spray, it lasts 3 months on dogs and 2 months on cats. For the house you need a good house spray such as Acclaim, although it might have another name here but check with your vet.

You wash all your bedding and then wash your pet bedding on a very high temperature or you can replace it with cheap blankets which some people find it easier to replace pet bedding rather than wash it.

You hoover every room and soft furnishings first of all, then empty the cylinder outside - perhaps give the inside of the cylinder a short blast of spray.

Then close all the windows, take one room at a time and use the house spray in a sweeping motion - do skirting boards, carpets, soft furnishings, curtains, basically think if you were a flea, where would you hide?

Leave the room closed up for 30 minutes before airing - do not wash this off. Then do each room the same, do all the rooms whether or not the pet goes in there, it doesnt matter do the whole house.

You then hoover from the next day, do this for every day for 10 days, the vibrations of the hoover will encourage the eggs to hatch which will in turn come into contact with the insecticide of the house spray and that will kill them. Remember to empty your hoover bag or cylinder outside each time after you hoover.

Also spray your pet bedding with the spray and get a good mult wormer from your vet as fleas can lead to tapeworm.

You can get on top of this but do remember to do your house regularly, some sprays can last 12 months on the furniture and with frontline spray, you can do it every 3 months, set a reminder on your phone, I do this with my animals heartworm tablet. However if you bath your dog or it swims in the ocean, make sure you leave it about 24 hours either side of a bath/wash.

The initial hard work will pay off I promise.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Boobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really niceBoobops is just really nice

Thank you so much for that. Never thought of using the Frontline spray instead of the spot on. Looks like I've got my work cut out tomorrow!!!
Old Mar 20th 2010, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Personally Ive never used flea bombs. I also never use frontline spot on, the spray is more effective as with the spot on, a heavy infestation of fleas will mean they gather round the animals bum where the chemical is at its weakest.

I like frontline spray, it lasts 3 months on dogs and 2 months on cats. For the house you need a good house spray such as Acclaim, although it might have another name here but check with your vet.

You wash all your bedding and then wash your pet bedding on a very high temperature or you can replace it with cheap blankets which some people find it easier to replace pet bedding rather than wash it.

You hoover every room and soft furnishings first of all, then empty the cylinder outside - perhaps give the inside of the cylinder a short blast of spray.

Then close all the windows, take one room at a time and use the house spray in a sweeping motion - do skirting boards, carpets, soft furnishings, curtains, basically think if you were a flea, where would you hide?

Leave the room closed up for 30 minutes before airing - do not wash this off. Then do each room the same, do all the rooms whether or not the pet goes in there, it doesnt matter do the whole house.

You then hoover from the next day, do this for every day for 10 days, the vibrations of the hoover will encourage the eggs to hatch which will in turn come into contact with the insecticide of the house spray and that will kill them. Remember to empty your hoover bag or cylinder outside each time after you hoover.

Also spray your pet bedding with the spray and get a good mult wormer from your vet as fleas can lead to tapeworm.

You can get on top of this but do remember to do your house regularly, some sprays can last 12 months on the furniture and with frontline spray, you can do it every 3 months, set a reminder on your phone, I do this with my animals heartworm tablet. However if you bath your dog or it swims in the ocean, make sure you leave it about 24 hours either side of a bath/wash.

Isn't the frontline spray something like "two sprays per Kg"?. That would mean I would have to spray my dog 50 times !!
I also have two cats. Now trying to spray one cat is bad enough... but trying to catch the second after he's realised what's going on is almost impossible.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 9:56 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Had a problem earlier this year. Switched from Frontline to Advantix and, along with the usual prevention measures, it seemed to do the trick and keep them at bay.
Old Mar 20th 2010, 11:04 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

You can also get a carpet powder which you throw around and vacuum up. Regular vacuuming is important... the buggers hatch every few days so you need to vacuum every day for a few days until you've got them all.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

WE have three cats and they rarely get fleas as where we live is quite isolated from them mixing with other animals and they don't hunt now as they are old (and not allowed to as they are indoors only from dusk to dawn - most of the time actually). We use advantix on them and occasioanlly the flea bombs in the house if we suspect any flea activity, however, we use the bombs because they also kill off any unseen cockroach activity etc which we only usually see in summer. We only ever see a lone cockroach ocasionally which may have got in as there are plenty in the rainforest - but my thoughts in the house are where there's one there's probably more and would rather zap the problem early. Never had a problem with the bombs - just open everything up in the house, get the animals out and we all sit outside for a morning or afternoon, then open up and air it all, then get vaccuming regularly over the next couple of days. Never see much to vacuum up but if there were fleas the carcasses and eggs will be sucked up!!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I thought she was happy and doing well in the UK
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:36 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I thought she was happy and doing well in the UK
Well I get it.... not sure how many others will.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be giving the dyson a workout for the next few weeks!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 1:22 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Isn't the frontline spray something like "two sprays per Kg"?. That would mean I would have to spray my dog 50 times !!
I also have two cats. Now trying to spray one cat is bad enough... but trying to catch the second after he's realised what's going on is almost impossible.
I think there is a guideline for how many sprays. However, I usually spray down my dogs back, one on each side, one under the belly and then a small amount on my hand to smooth over his head.

I also get my husband to hold my cats scruff gently while I spray him and by scruffing him, I mean while he is on the floor and not being held in the air, he doesnt like it but tolerates it.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I can see where I have been going wrong all these years! I haven't done the work! A quick application to the head too?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think there is a guideline for how many sprays. However, I usually spray down my dogs back, one on each side, one under the belly and then a small amount on my hand to smooth over his head.

I also get my husband to hold my cats scruff gently while I spray him and by scruffing him, I mean while he is on the floor and not being held in the air, he doesnt like it but tolerates it.
I got hours of fun from scruffing our cats when I was a boy.They don't move a muscle and you can have further fun by cutting their whiskers off! I only did this once!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 11:55 pm

I got hours of fun from scruffing our cats when I was a boy.They don't move a muscle and you can have further fun by cutting their whiskers off! I only did this once!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 11:56 pm

I can see where I have been going wrong all these years! I haven't done the work! A quick application to the head too?
Yes but I would spray a bit on your hand and gently smooth it on that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.