Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Fixing Reverse Camera for Cars

Fixing Reverse Camera for Cars

Old Jan 18th 2016, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

muditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Fixing Reverse Camera for Cars

Hi,

My current toyota yaris doesn't have any reverse sensors or cameras. But with 2 kids, we thought of fixing a reverse camera for the safety.

I googled and found lot of ways to install and do it by myself. But since i don't have proper tools to do it and i don't want to damage my car, i thought of getting it fixed via a proper installer. I checked few installers from internet, but there is no way to find out if they are doing a good job.

So i would like if any BE member can recommend a good installer to get reverse camera installed ? Any traps i should avoid ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fixing Reverse Camera for Cars

Where do you live? Might help with recommendations.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

muditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Fixing Reverse Camera for Cars

I live close to Parramatta NSW
Old Jan 21st 2016, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you could Google for a reputable auto electrician to install it. Not sure how you would be able to tell if it was done properly or not though.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 3:37 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muditha
My current toyota yaris doesn't have any reverse sensors or cameras. But with 2 kids, we thought of fixing a reverse camera for the safety.

I googled and found lot of ways to install and do it by myself. But since i don't have proper tools to do it and i don't want to damage my car, i thought of getting it fixed via a proper installer. I checked few installers from internet, but there is no way to find out if they are doing a good job.
Thing to bear in mind is that the camera and sensors are all quite cheap in themselves (10s of dollars from china). However stringing wires through the car is time consuming work - and automotive manpower is anything but cheap. Hence a $20 piece of electronics ends up being >$500 installed.

I'd be inclined to install myself, probably combined with dashcam, etc. - or at least find a competent friend and promise a slab in payment.

Oh, and if you are looking for safety, blind spot alert monitors are probably more effective. Reversing over someone is unlikely, but getting side swiped in traffic by something in your blind spot is more likely, and dangerous.

The other question is how long before the sensors and smarts of the autonomous vehicles starts working its way down to retrofit for vehicles. My guess is not that long.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Thing to bear in mind is that the camera and sensors are all quite cheap in themselves (10s of dollars from china). However stringing wires through the car is time consuming work - and automotive manpower is anything but cheap. Hence a $20 piece of electronics ends up being >$500 installed.

I'd be inclined to install myself, probably combined with dashcam, etc. - or at least find a competent friend and promise a slab in payment.

Oh, and if you are looking for safety, blind spot alert monitors are probably more effective. Reversing over someone is unlikely, but getting side swiped in traffic by something in your blind spot is more likely, and dangerous.

The other question is how long before the sensors and smarts of the autonomous vehicles starts working its way down to retrofit for vehicles. My guess is not that long.
Yeah the wiring is a pain. I have this action cam

http://www.sony.com.au/product/hdr-as30v

and there is a phone app which bluetooths to the camera so I can see the image. GoPro probably does a similar bluetooth phone app.

Might be a bit ugly on the back of the car but its certainly a valid wire free option
Old Jan 21st 2016, 5:00 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Might be a bit ugly on the back of the car but its certainly a valid wire free option
There are wireless reversing sensor/camera options - but you still need to power the damn things, which means you end up tacking into power for reversing lights etc. Better IMHO to just bite the bullet and run the wire.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
There are wireless reversing sensor/camera options - but you still need to power the damn things, which means you end up tacking into power for reversing lights etc. Better IMHO to just bite the bullet and run the wire.
I have one that's been wired as an add on to my car. A previous owner has obviously gone to great lengths to feed the wire behind the ceiling upholstery and through other nooks and crannies to the rear.

Certainly not a gig for the impatient.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 5:47 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Beoz
I have one that's been wired as an add on to my car. A previous owner has obviously gone to great lengths to feed the wire behind the ceiling upholstery and through other nooks and crannies to the rear.

Certainly not a gig for the impatient.
Hence why it costs so much to get it installed - it's fiddly to do.

I think if I were inclined to be doing it to mine, I'd run a multi strand wire between front and back so I can multiple lines for different purposes.

Why don't we have proper network connectivity in the wiring of cars, something like a USB bus so each sensor/effector could just connect to that and everything could talk to everything? Ahh well, maybe that's a sanity that autonomous vehicles will bring to the table.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all for your comments
Old Jan 27th 2016, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

I read all of the above with interest.

Why dont you go to and auto electrician (more than one) and just ask him for a quote. Simples!