Fitness First Sucks

Old Oct 10th 2007, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

smraymer will become famous soon enoughsmraymer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fitness First Sucks

Originally Posted by northernbird
I think MrsPerthforme had bother with them too when she tried to cancel. Having to leave australia because you have cancer and your husband has a terminal brain tumour seemingly wasn't a good enough excuse for them
I admit I am a member of FF but only because they are the most convenient gym for me. I've had about enough of them now though. I've just done a boxing class in about 35 degree heat as the air conditioning isn't working. Also a number of the shower doors are off their hinges and have been for months. What do they spend our fees on - certainly not maintenance.

BandS who do you work for? I am moving to the Robina area shortly and company Boxercise classes sound fantastic. Any marketing jobs going?
Old Oct 10th 2007, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

I work for Minter Ellison Lawyers in Varsity Lakes and they are a great firm to work for.

The boxercise has been going for about 5 weeks now and about 15 or so people do it every Monday and Wednesday. The trainer is awesome (he also does bootcamps) and I have already noticed a difference in my body We also have a Pilates class on Tuesday.

As for the marketing jobs....sorry

Sharon
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hi Orange&

My house mate is a professional fitness trainer type bod, and she hates FF with a passion.

Apparently, within the industry they are known as Finance First. And now I am beginning to see why!

There have also been a number of instances where people with FF carry sacs have been pushed/kicked/abused on the rail system. It would appear that even their customers aren't well liked.

S
Pushed/kicked/abused by off-duty Finance First marketeers no doubt?
Old Oct 13th 2007, 5:54 am
Just Joined

Robin2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just received a letter from finance first saying that fees would now be paid fortnightly and only a slight increase. What a con - this letter had no tel numbers or address or email contacts. They must think people are really stupid. If you take your current monthly payment and divide it in two as they state then you will be paying an extra month per annum (26 weeks v 12 months). There is no way you can speak to anyone about this as they will not give out tel numbers and any time you want to speak to anyone they will be "unavailable"
I can't stand the gym here in Mosman Sydney. They play loud crap music over the speakers and are always running advertisements on the TV. The equipment is often broken and the change rooms are frequently filthy.
The staff couldn't care less and the average teenager on the desk prob has an IQ in single figures.
My former training partner has been trying to get out of their clutches and cancel his membership for 3 months. He has phoned them and written to them and they are still knocking off money out of his credit card.
Don't be conned by these people. They will rip you off like you would never believe.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Robin2007
I just received a letter from finance first saying that fees would now be paid fortnightly and only a slight increase. What a con - this letter had no tel numbers or address or email contacts. They must think people are really stupid. If you take your current monthly payment and divide it in two as they state then you will be paying an extra month per annum (26 weeks v 12 months). There is no way you can speak to anyone about this as they will not give out tel numbers and any time you want to speak to anyone they will be "unavailable"
I can't stand the gym here in Mosman Sydney. They play loud crap music over the speakers and are always running advertisements on the TV. The equipment is often broken and the change rooms are frequently filthy.
The staff couldn't care less and the average teenager on the desk prob has an IQ in single figures.
My former training partner has been trying to get out of their clutches and cancel his membership for 3 months. He has phoned them and written to them and they are still knocking off money out of his credit card.
Don't be conned by these people. They will rip you off like you would never believe.

Ooh err, better check my card then..... Mosman Finance First... grrrrrr
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:18 am
Just Joined

Robin2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I rang up the Dept of Fair Trading yesterday about the price increases and how they stall off people wanting to cancel and then continue to charge their credit card. The guy said he gets numerous complaints about Fitness First and he said that because they are such a huge organisation they use in house lawyers to frighten the customers who are mainly young people with not a lot of business experience.

He said that they are really concerned about them - especially at Mosman NSW and they may investigate them

My advice is as follows:
Write letters of complaint to the Dept of Fair Trading
Tell Fitness First that you are doing so
Write letters of complaint to Fitness First.
Tell them you will go to the MEDIA

DON'T LET THIS RIP OFF COMPANY RIP YOU OFF AND DO NOT JOIN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!
Old Oct 27th 2007, 6:02 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

I love FF and go 6 times a week here in the UK for only £18.50 per month, free drinks and daily newspaper to boot.

Used to like going in Oz as well, the ff at Dee Why (Sydney), Cannington and Murray St in Perth and the two in Brisbane, Adelaide St and North Quay. Don't know what I would have done without them during my 6 month foray down under.

There seem to be more PTs in the Oz gyms than members. At least members are compelled to put the weights away and leave the gym tidy unlike the boneheaded neanderthals in the UK who leave the place in a right mess while the management do nothing to act against it.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight on Watchdog BBC1 (Wales) in the UK there is an investigation into Fitness First. Interesting stuff - turn on now!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Charles2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

HUGE RELIEF. I FINALLY MANAGED TO SUCCESSFULLY CANCEL MY CONTRACT WITH FITNESS FIRST AT MOSMAN NSW!!!
But those bathtubs(!) kept trying to screw me right to the end. Being aware of their months notice rule I gave them 38 days notice because their rules state that CANCELLATION DOES NOT APPLY UNTIL THEY WRITE BACK TO YOU!! They must however do this within 7 days - hence my 38 days notice.

They sent me a letter saying that it would be effective from 26 November, my notice was effective from 1 November so they were trying to screw me out of 4 days.
I rang them up and talked at length to some female "manager" who eventually agreed and said that she would change it to 30 November.
On 29 November I went to the gym and the girl said "you have finished up YESTERDAY (the 28th). I explained to her the letters, the phone call etc etc. She then commenced to argue with me for 5 minutes OVER 1 BLOODY DAY! Some other girl (about 18 yrs old) then came into the conversation also arguing that I had finished yesterday. Get it listeners, these morons were prepared to argue with me for now 10 minutes, whether they were going to let me into the gym, in front of other members. I told them that I was paying fortnightly, I had paid on 1 November and 15 November and that 2 weeks from 15 November was 30 November as I had stated on my cancellation notice. I loudly demanded that they let me in and give me back my car keys etc and finally they did.

Of course it was the usual rubbish training session with their multiple TV monitors playing commercials every 5 minutes for all the local businesses, cosmetic surgery, and why I should become a Finance First Instructor. I tell you, If I had had a brick....

God these people are the pits yet they keep on signing up new members all the time - Fitness First are dishonest cheats join up at your peril.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:52 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I swear to god that I will never join a gym ever again.

Ive got a case with Trading Standards at the moment and have only just got an email cancelling our contract from the gym - but it has been stressful and extremely hard work.

We have changed our debit cards and stopped the direct debit so no money can be taken out.

Letters sent by special delivery, emails sent to head office and local branch (not FF by the way), the staff all denied ever receiving them even though we had a signature as proof of receipt.

It even got to the stage where head office were giving different names to get out of it.

This gym have a history of court cases for breach of the misrepresentation act and I tricked the manager by using a different email address and heading it 'membership enquiry'.

He opened it and had to reply, I had scanned the proof of posting, the barcode and the name of the person that they 'said' didnt exist.

I had times to the exact minutes that I had called and EVERY conversation, I had a Trading Standards reference number.

Finally I had an apology last week by email saying our membership was cancelled.

Although they have done this before to others - said it was cancelled and then referred straight to their in-house debt collection and solicitor.

So I have waited a week and tomorrow I shall call Trading Standards again and find out what to do if that happens.

I have sent in my email to the gym last week that as the matter is resolved, I will notify TS accordingly.

But I will need to find out what will happen if they refer to agency collection -even if the account is cancelled.

You have to be persistent, tough and incredibly pedantic with times, dates, names and the full force of the law.

Please, to stop them stealing from your account - change your debit card, tell the bank its been stolen - do anything but just change your card.

But to be honest, I am now in charge of my own fitness and would rather do bloody cartwheels than join a gym.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Charles2007
I loudly demanded that they let me in and give me back my car keys etc and finally they did.
Why do they take your car keys? Don't they have member lockers? If they weren't going to let you in, why take them?

I'm about to do my Personal Training course (can't get work just as a Gym/Fitness Instructor) and I'm seriously thinking of NOT working in Fitness First when I've finished... what crap customer service.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:57 am
Just Joined

Charles2007 is an unknown quantity at this point

My Finance First metal tag was attached to my key ring and after the girl swiped the card she held onto the keys and tag while she was checking the computer and arguing with me.

One of the numerous reasons I had for cancelling was that they had knocked off $15 from my credit card without approval for a locker key. They never refunded it directly but next month took it off my monthly payment. It took 3 phone calls to them as they kept trying to tell me they had processed it when they hadn't.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Charles2007
My Finance First metal tag was attached to my key ring and after the girl swiped the card she held onto the keys and tag while she was checking the computer and arguing with me.

One of the numerous reasons I had for cancelling was that they had knocked off $15 from my credit card without approval for a locker key. They never refunded it directly but next month took it off my monthly payment. It took 3 phone calls to them as they kept trying to tell me they had processed it when they hadn't.
I see.

Cheeky beggers.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Angela Marie - Cairns will become famous soon enoughAngela Marie - Cairns will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by orange&
I was planning to send a letter of complaint to Fitness First customer relations, but I might actually do more damage by having a rant on here.... so here I go.

How I hate Fitness First. They were the only gym in spitting distance of where I lived in Sydney, so I (unfortunately) had to join (something had to be done to help ward off the expanding pockets of cellulite). As a big, brash, loud, company, I knew that they would ram the marking stuff down my throat, so I was sort of prepared for a difficult first "I might be interested in joining" meeting. The dollar signs lit up in the customer relations officer's eyes as they tried to convince (force) me to join the club for a year, rather than opt for the more flexible month by month membership (no doubt the commission is higher if they get you on a long-term contract). They wouldn't take no for an answer. I said I'd think about it and left. I received 5 follow up phonecalls in the next few weeks (they certainly don't take no for an answer). I eventually joined, but on my own terms, and spent the next few months skunking into the gym, trying to avoid members of staff (what would they try to sell me next?). Anyway, to cut a long story short, I moved house after about 4 months, didn't use the gym for a couple of months, and eventually decided to cancel my membership. I braved the treck back to the Mosman branch yesterday. Nothing had changed. The woman on the counter didn't know what to do about cancellations, and had to refer to an instruction leaflet. As she disappeared to get advice, I managed to read the instructions upside down. "Ask reason why member is leaving" "Are they joining another club". etc etc.... Thinking I was prepared, the girl came back and asked me "Why are you leaving the club". Answer: "because I want to... can you let me know what forms I need to fill in". "Are you doing any other exericse?" Answer, "yes, I have a pool... can you tell me which bits of the form I have to fill in?" (thinking silently it's none of your business actually). And wait for it!!!!! She asked me "Do you understand the value of exercise?" F*** me! The blood rose from my feet and coursed slowly up to my head. What answer do they expect ? "Yes, but please don't try to convince me to stay" or "no, please convince me to stay"?? Instead, I spurted out "Actually I find that question rather patronising". The girl responded.. "sorry you feel that way. Do you understand that diabetes is one of the leading cause of premature death in Australia....." By that time I was livid. Rude b*******s.

Fitness First have over-trained their staff in marketing to the point where they are no longer able to read body language, judge a situation, decide how to react, or treat their customers with respect. They desperately need to have a re-think about their training, drop the evangelical and bonus-driven marketing approach, and teach their staff to use their own good judgement, and good manners. If you're the sort who hates the big corporate hard sell, I'd advise giving Fitness First a wide berth...............
Well we did the usual join the gymn 4 months before our visa medicals, yeh we both lost a few pounds and had, signed up to a 12 month subscription as you have to do.

Anyway there is a loop hole, they tried to sting me for the remaining months money - but as we emigrated they were only entitled to take some of the money as we would be unable to use the facility.
So we had to prove an address in Australia, then they came up with an amicable figure which we eventually paid, lets just say it was about 100 pound for the two of us LOL LOL

So I suggest you speak to some mates in another country and use the get out clause, either that or we were particularl lucky ???
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been with Beach House for over a year but have had to cancel my membership because of frozen shoulder. I was dreading trying to cancel after reading all the fitness first rubbish. Though Beach House might try the same. Went in, told the girl I wanted to cancel, she gave me a form which I filled out. I received a letter a week later saying sorry I was going and the 30 days notice would be up on whatever date and thank you for my custom. Easy as.

If you have the choice between FF and BH, go BH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.