Fitness First Sucks

Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future
Default Fitness First Sucks

I was planning to send a letter of complaint to Fitness First customer relations, but I might actually do more damage by having a rant on here.... so here I go.

How I hate Fitness First. They were the only gym in spitting distance of where I lived in Sydney, so I (unfortunately) had to join (something had to be done to help ward off the expanding pockets of cellulite). As a big, brash, loud, company, I knew that they would ram the marking stuff down my throat, so I was sort of prepared for a difficult first "I might be interested in joining" meeting. The dollar signs lit up in the customer relations officer's eyes as they tried to convince (force) me to join the club for a year, rather than opt for the more flexible month by month membership (no doubt the commission is higher if they get you on a long-term contract). They wouldn't take no for an answer. I said I'd think about it and left. I received 5 follow up phonecalls in the next few weeks (they certainly don't take no for an answer). I eventually joined, but on my own terms, and spent the next few months skunking into the gym, trying to avoid members of staff (what would they try to sell me next?). Anyway, to cut a long story short, I moved house after about 4 months, didn't use the gym for a couple of months, and eventually decided to cancel my membership. I braved the treck back to the Mosman branch yesterday. Nothing had changed. The woman on the counter didn't know what to do about cancellations, and had to refer to an instruction leaflet. As she disappeared to get advice, I managed to read the instructions upside down. "Ask reason why member is leaving" "Are they joining another club". etc etc.... Thinking I was prepared, the girl came back and asked me "Why are you leaving the club". Answer: "because I want to... can you let me know what forms I need to fill in". "Are you doing any other exericse?" Answer, "yes, I have a pool... can you tell me which bits of the form I have to fill in?" (thinking silently it's none of your business actually). And wait for it!!!!! She asked me "Do you understand the value of exercise?" F*** me! The blood rose from my feet and coursed slowly up to my head. What answer do they expect ? "Yes, but please don't try to convince me to stay" or "no, please convince me to stay"?? Instead, I spurted out "Actually I find that question rather patronising". The girl responded.. "sorry you feel that way. Do you understand that diabetes is one of the leading cause of premature death in Australia....." By that time I was livid. Rude b*******s.

Fitness First have over-trained their staff in marketing to the point where they are no longer able to read body language, judge a situation, decide how to react, or treat their customers with respect. They desperately need to have a re-think about their training, drop the evangelical and bonus-driven marketing approach, and teach their staff to use their own good judgement, and good manners. If you're the sort who hates the big corporate hard sell, I'd advise giving Fitness First a wide berth...............

Last edited by orange&; Oct 5th 2007 at 1:30 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:31 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness First Sucks

rant read and points noted

will avoid them when I get to Sydney

that's if I ever want to join a gym
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

black cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to allblack cat is a name known to all

excellent rant! well done. I dont think it just fitness first, unfortunately! Had the same problem when tried to leave Bannatynes!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:57 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There have been many rants about FF over the years - lots on here. There is even a Fitness First is Shit forum (that's not the real name but the sentiment is right). Have a google and another rant.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypen20
There have been many rants about FF over the years - lots on here. There is even a Fitness First is Shit forum (that's not the real name but the sentiment is right). Have a google and another rant.
I had no idea.... it's sort of heartening to know that at least some of the sentiment (the bit about them being bollocks) is shared......
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:10 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orange&
I had no idea.... it's sort of heartening to know that at least some of the sentiment (the bit about them being bollocks) is shared......
I think they are the worst. Certainly from what I've read anyway. I think they have more dissatisfied "customers" than they have happy ones. The Perthforme's had a crap time with them when Steve was diagnosed with terminal cancer and they flew back to the UK. FF wanted proof he was dying before they would let them cancel They got it sorted before they left but even so - not good customer relations
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:24 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

I was planning to send a letter of complaint to Fitness First customer relations, but I might actually do more damage by having a rant on here.... so here I go.

How I hate Fitness First. They were the only gym in spitting distance of where I lived in Sydney, so I (unfortunately) had to join (something had to be done to help ward off the expanding pockets of cellulite). As a big, brash, loud, company, I knew that they would ram the marking stuff down my throat, so I was sort of prepared for a difficult first "I might be interested in joining" meeting. The dollar signs lit up in the customer relations officer's eyes as they tried to convince (force) me to join the club for a year, rather than opt for the more flexible month by month membership (no doubt the commission is higher if they get you on a long-term contract). They wouldn't take no for an answer. I said I'd think about it and left. I received 5 follow up phonecalls in the next few weeks (they certainly don't take no for an answer). I eventually joined, but on my own terms, and spent the next few months skunking into the gym, trying to avoid members of staff (what would they try to sell me next?). Anyway, to cut a long story short, I moved house after about 4 months, didn't use the gym for a couple of months, and eventually decided to cancel my membership. I braved the treck back to the Mosman branch yesterday. Nothing had changed. The woman on the counter didn't know what to do about cancellations, and had to refer to an instruction leaflet. As she disappeared to get advice, I managed to read the instructions upside down. "Ask reason why member is leaving" "Are they joining another club". etc etc.... Thinking I was prepared, the girl came back and asked me "Why are you leaving the club". Answer: "because I want to... can you let me know what forms I need to fill in". "Are you doing any other exericse?" Answer, "yes, I have a pool... can you tell me which bits of the form I have to fill in?" (thinking silently it's none of your business actually). And wait for it!!!!! She asked me "Do you understand the value of exercise?" F*** me! The blood rose from my feet and coursed slowly up to my head. What answer do they expect ? "Yes, but please don't try to convince me to stay" or "no, please convince me to stay"?? Instead, I spurted out "Actually I find that question rather patronising". The girl responded.. "sorry you feel that way. Do you understand that diabetes is one of the leading cause of premature death in Australia....." By that time I was livid. Rude b*******s.

Fitness First have over-trained their staff in marketing to the point where they are no longer able to read body language, judge a situation, decide how to react, or treat their customers with respect. They desperately need to have a re-think about their training, drop the evangelical and bonus-driven marketing approach, and teach their staff to use their own good judgement, and good manners. If you're the sort who hates the big corporate hard sell, I'd advise giving Fitness First a wide berth...............
I sympathise with you entirely!
Many moons ago in a previous life, I was a membership manager for a Fitness First Gym in the UK. The targets that they set there membership staff are absolutely ridiculous! The gym I worked out of had 2 sales staff under me. They were expected to tramp the streets dressed as 'Harry the Heart' feeding people guff about joining a gym and why they should excercise! They were expected to EACH sign up 12 new members a day. Make approx 100 'cold' phone calls a day each and god knows how many follow ups! It was a soul destroying job. Wouldnt have been so bad, but there salary was in the region of £11K PA + a paltry couple of quid commission for every new sign up. The company had a culture of dropping sales staff 'just like that', should they not perform (most couldnt even if they wanted to) and the staff knew this. I actually feel very sorry for anyone in gym membership sales - it's about as tuff as it gets!

As an after thought, the company is run by some young (ish) woman I think. Apparently the biggest Jobs worth, up herself, biaaaatch you would ever wish to meet! Walks around like her shit doesn't stink barking orders and talking to people like she just trod in them!

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer; Oct 5th 2007 at 8:27 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:03 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant post !!!

Reminded me of the fat fella went to fitness first, and was being given the grand tour by the appointed PR Girl..

He looked down at a guy, pummeling floor with his knee, whinced and said to PR Girl...." ouch, whats that exercise called?"

to which she replied, thats called ... CARPET FITTING SIR !

Steve
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:13 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I think anyone who has joined a major gym chain will be in for the same experience. Personally I think that Beach House Gyms also suck for much the same reasons and whilst we're at it lets not leave out Zest.

The reality is that these large commercial franchises are all the same and turn over sales staff fast with unrealistic targets and poor facilities.

In one particular gym I worked at the sales staff have actually forged membership sign ups thanks to the pressure. Most trainers are contractors renting space at the gym weekly for silly rents. Which is why most gyms have as many trainers as possible. 10 trainers at $250 per week is $10,000 per month in rent.

One single thing which pees me off in Australia is the apparent need to negotiate on everything. Gym membership is no different. For example our local gym sells membership at $80 per month (which is high anyway) and sting you for a joining fee. However what they will actually do to sign the contract is $55 per month and no other fees.

Thats quite a difference and all for having to go through the pleasure of haggling for half an hour with a person who thinks that in some warped way you will get some sense of bargain or elation from driving them down to a price which they would have given it to you anyway.

I'm a gym junkie - I admit it. But I hate dealing with gyms and staff there.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

OMG. I am so not going to be working for Fitness First when I get to Aus. That's really crappy treatment. Is it just the sales team that are like that or are the Fitness Instructors the same?
Old Oct 6th 2007, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Cheeky Cow! God I hate them too - used to get loads of calls from them in the UK after i left trying to get me too stay.
I think you should write a letter of complaint too the directors - Its none of her business why you left!
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

I'm a member of FF in Melbourne CBD. It's bollocks and all that's been said here is true. I go in and watch one of the trainers who does lots of boxing and martial arts personal training - he doesn't have a clue!

There's one shy fat chinese lad, about 18, who's training with the trainer a couple of times a week. I feel sorry for him as he's being completely ripped off the the tune of at least $100 a week.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

When my OH joined he was asked to pass some friends names on so that they could add them to the database and mail them out free gym passes so tehy could try the gym. They resolutely promised they would not do anything else with the details - harmless enough he thought -and yet, FF gave all his contacts a barrage of telemarketing about joining. He ended up leaving without paying them he was so pissed off with their focus on marketing and not fitness.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Orange&

My house mate is a professional fitness trainer type bod, and she hates FF with a passion.

Apparently, within the industry they are known as Finance First. And now I am beginning to see why!

There have also been a number of instances where people with FF carry sacs have been pushed/kicked/abused on the rail system. It would appear that even their customers aren't well liked.

S
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:53 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Instead, I spurted out "Actually I find that question rather patronising". The girl responded.. "sorry you feel that way. Do you understand that diabetes is one of the leading cause of premature death in Australia....." ..
Yes, I am trying to committ suicide legally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.