Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Favourite Aussie Pastimes

Favourite Aussie Pastimes

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough
Default Favourite Aussie Pastimes

Hoping to make the move within the next 2 years and just wondering what your most common activities were at the weekend / evenings.

Back here in Scotland its more or less get pissed and then sleep it off till work comes round again!!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite Aussie Pastimes

Originally Posted by stuart.and.michelle
Hoping to make the move within the next 2 years and just wondering what your most common activities were at the weekend / evenings.

Back here in Scotland its more or less get pissed and then sleep it off till work comes round again!!!!
You won't notice much change when you move then (except the amount of alcohol consumed may rise due to the quality of the TV programmes being worse.......)
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You won't notice much change when you move then (except the amount of alcohol consumed may rise due to the quality of the TV programmes being worse.......)
LOL yes and the p*ss is weaker as well so you need more to achieve the desired effect. You may be up earlier in the morning though especially if you live in an area frequented by sulphur crested cockatoos which are cute and novel in the day time but in the early morning are screeching vampires who flock together to raise a screech with a decibel level in excess of a jumbo jet on landing.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:07 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
LOL yes and the p*ss is weaker as well so you need more to achieve the desired effect. You may be up earlier in the morning though especially if you live in an area frequented by sulphur crested cockatoos which are cute and novel in the day time but in the early morning are screeching vampires who flock together to raise a screech with a decibel level in excess of a jumbo jet on landing.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
SCCO.mp3 (225.7 KB, 97 views)
Old Jul 24th 2008, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough

I can see how that could grate on your nerves after a short while!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:57 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Yep I'm with you on the Cockatoos.....Kookaburras can almost sound evil at that time too lol!

As for weekend activities.....

Well to start, not many seem to have a lay in! Lawnmowing often happens before 8a.m....

Milling around large shopping malls seems rather popular as does going to 'Bunnings' (think B&Q). Kids sports matches /little Nippers etc often happen quite early on a weekend morning. Family groups can often be seen picnicing at parks....often a celebration of some sort with balloons tied to trees and nearby structures, big eskies and camp chairs in tow too Lots of people playing in the water too on Jet Skiis and boats of all sizes. Camping and Caravanning are popular especially during school holidays. Moving house with all your worldly possesions crammed precariously in a rusty, unroadworthy trailer too

BBQ's at peoples houses are always happening too.....

Although you could just as well as find yourself working on the weekend too
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice

Or you can spend the day in the sun at the beach/park/garden etc....remember the sun screen every 2 hours at least though..better still stay out of the sun !

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sun...N00021&slide=1
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Going to bed around 9pm seems to be common place As is dark by then so the aim is to be up as early as possible the next day.

In some areas of Aus, during the summer the main weekend past time is hopping from one air con environment to the other. Seems to be over looked in here the sun in Aus can be a real killer.
When we were there those were our observations, being a night owl, really puzzled me.
During the day we'd go off to empty parks and beaches (have to say is ace getting a beach around half a mile long with 5 or 6 people on it plus us lot). But did notice all the shopping places had packed car parks and always seemed a lot queue at those drive in booze places. Maybe they were all stocking up for the barbies, did go to a few that were put on as we were visiting, everyone seemed to have the best barbie available (make UK ones look little) and spread was generally very good, apart from the odd half cooked sausage.
Swimming is popular all week round, public pools always seemed fairly busy.
Can't say I'd say Aussies watch much TV as it's very poor. Cinema prices very varied and attendances at them much higher over the weekend.

Seems odd that with so many great places to explore in Scotland, you choose to get drunk all weekend? But does depend on if you like nice weather, I have no problem with going out in most kinds of weather and finding things to do, some prefer to stay at home and blame the weather
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:37 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I dunno about all these boring farts, but I tend to get out on the weekends. Beach with the kids, or a walk. Not so much in the winter, but def spring and summer.
Bush walking ..fab. Bike/trail riding...
Horseriding is popular here...Swimming at pool... lovely open air ones in the summer.

Evenings... well Tuesday is cheap day at the movies, so I do that if I'm free. Live music on locally in the evenings... some free if you're in the right pub. Jazz live in local pub on a Sun afternoon...
Might do some gardening too... like that. Mowing, of course, very important.
BBQ at the lake, free BBQ provided by council. That's great. Kids love it.
Might drive to Sydney as I now know the way to Balmoral Beach, without getting too lost, and also Northern beaches... great for the kids. Fish and chips with amazing fresh fish for lunch.
Might play tourist and go to Sydney for the day... ferry... Manly... Powerhouse museum, Darling Harbour...
And then I might just stay home, go out for breakfast, drink coffee, read the paper, sit in the sun, watch a DVD and head off for bed.

Am I boring you yet?

There's as much or as little to do here. Life's for the grabbing. I think if you come this far, you should take as much of it as you can. You only get one chance so make it a happy one.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

We don't get drunk all the time!!!! Just seems like it lol!!

I guess the weather plays a big part here in Soctland on our outdoor activities.

Sounds as though there are quite a few things to keep us busy over there. Thats one of the main reasons for coming. We're hoping our duaghter shall have a much healthier happier lifestyle. Not to mention me and my OH love the sun!!
Old Jul 25th 2008, 2:25 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

where abouts are you guys heading for ????
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:59 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Favourite Aussie Pastimes

Well you can do the Scotish activities if you want with other Expats and a select few Aussies (that hard drinking reputation seems to exist only in the outback) but there are a few other options. We are finding more places opening up with good food out of the city and there's always fishing or AFL, Soccer or Rugby of both types and the usual cinema etc. that you would do in UK... forget about late shopping that doesn't exist outside of city.

Originally Posted by quoll
Yep you don't need an alarm that's for sure. We live a few hundred meters from a road and people have said do you not notice the traffic on a morning and I've replied nope as the Cockatoos make more noise.

But as long as there are no crows, I hate crows and that mind gratting Ha Ha Ha they do.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

We don't get drunk all the time!!!! Just seems like it lol!!

I guess the weather plays a big part here in Soctland on our outdoor activities.

Sounds as though there are quite a few things to keep us busy over there. Thats one of the main reasons for coming. We're hoping our duaghter shall have a much healthier happier lifestyle. Not to mention me and my OH love the sun!!
To my fellow Glaswegians, come on in, the waters lovely. Dont do the city thing and head to Syd, Melly, Canberra etc. Go Nth Qld route and you wont regret it. Can get very hot but slip, slop slap and you;ll be fine. The lifestyle is slower and much better for wee wans. My three have an absolute ball and for mum and dad, plenty of parks and swimming areas, beaches, barbies etc. Whatever rocks yer boat but if its mostly for the wee wan then this is the place with little crime, graffiti or litter.
Old Jul 26th 2008, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
where abouts are you guys heading for ????
Having never been it's not set in stone as yet. My sisters husbands grandparents stay in Perth. My sis visited them a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. She can't stop raving about it and hopes to make the move herself one day. Thats really what I'm going on for now. Might seem a bit of a gamble I know but you only live once I suppose. Just want to make the move and we'll see where we go from there.

A lot still depends on the work situation. I ain't moving until I've secured the ype of job I'm looking for. Having checked a few sites, there appears to be a lot of construction work going on in Perth at the moment. There must be a high demand for site based civil engineers!!!! (so the visa bureau are telling me anyway)