Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

fags in 40s and tampax in 10s - what is it with this place?

fags in 40s and tampax in 10s - what is it with this place?

Old Oct 5th 2010, 2:52 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fags in 40s and tampax in 10s - what is it with this place?

Originally Posted by bcworld
Hmmm. I think if you've watched a loved one be eaten alive by cancer it's hard to consider smoking anything other than selfish. So while you may not be exposing kids or anyone else to your smoke, smokers have such a high rate of killing themselves, far higher than alcohol, there's a reasonable chance of subjecting your family to some very unpleasant times. There's an ad on Aus TV which paints this picture very well - terminally ill mother whose children will grow up without her.
Originally Posted by IvanM
All smokers are selfish so IMO it is justified. Can't they just **** off somewhere so they do not stink the air and use health resources.

I am an ex smoker. What really irks most smokers is that they want to give up but have too little will power to do it. In the meantime they do every to justify why they blow their cash on something that gives cancer.
I struggle with the contradiction of doing everything I can for my wife and kids while at the same time smoking and knowingly shortening the time that I'll be around for them. But selfish is not the word that I would put on my behaviour. Daft perhaps
Old Oct 5th 2010, 4:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Is there is a recyclable or washable option?
Not for tampons, but you could get yourself a mooncup if you are so inclined.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:00 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you smoke them as well?
Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Not for tampons, but you could get yourself a mooncup if you are so inclined.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Hmmm. I think if you've watched a loved one be eaten alive by cancer it's hard to consider smoking anything other than selfish. So while you may not be exposing kids or anyone else to your smoke, smokers have such a high rate of killing themselves, far higher than alcohol, there's a reasonable chance of subjecting your family to some very unpleasant times. There's an ad on Aus TV which paints this picture very well - terminally ill mother whose children will grow up without her.
I watched and offered what support I could as my then best friend lost his parents, both heavy smokers, within three years to lung cancer in their mid-40s. He was around 22 at the time, his sister was 13.
very sobering experience.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:18 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I watched and offered what support I could as my then best friend lost his parents, both heavy smokers, within three years to lung cancer in their mid-40s. He was around 22 at the time, his sister was 13.
very sobering experience.
Yet despite all this, people continue to smoke!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I started smoking when I was 14, just like all my mates did. I was never very confident as a kid, and all I wanted to do was fit it...so I started smoking because that's what the other kids did.

I remember very well the first cigarette I ever smoked, I was soooo ill. I went as white as a sheet and got sent home from school But because it made me 'fit it' I carried on doing it.

My Dad died from Lung Cancer at the age of 48, it had spread to his brain by the time he passed away. He couldn't do anything, and kept having fits for the last week of his life. He died in a hospice - I couldn't be there because I'd just had my daughter, she was 3 week old and my Dad never got to meet her.

My Mum died from Breast Cancer at the age of 52, I don't blame the smoking for that though as it does run in my family so it's a 90% chance she would have got it anyway (according to the doctors). But there's always that doubt isn't there.

Watching my parents die like that, you'd think I would have stopped wouldn't you?...no it actually didn't affect me in that way and I carried on smoking.

I did stop smoking, it will be almost 3 years ago now. It was actually thanks to this site that I did...someone was talking about Alan Carrs book and I thought I'd read it - mostly to prove it wouldn't stop me smoking

Until I read that book though, I wasn't about to give up for anyone. Especially people who tried to 'guilt trip' me - I would smoke more just to bug them if watching my parents die from Cancer wasn't going to stop me, then nothing someone I hardly knew said was going to work

I owe Sasbear a really big thank you for starting that thread. and I have donated that book to my local doctors surgery, so far she has had 14 people stop smoking through reading it
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:23 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Wendy.

I'm always fed up when people moan about the cost of health care for smokers so I googled it. In 2004–05 tobacco tax revenue exceeded tobacco-attributable costs borne by the public sector by more than $3.5 billion. Now, the next thing to google is the cost of healthcare for obese people - same rule applies. Cost of healthcare far outweighs their input to the health system, what with cardiac disease, cholesterol tablets, blood pressure tablets, heavy lifting equipment and special beds.......So, would you like to weigh in on this argument next?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sass73
Congrats Wendy.
Thank you. I really never thought I'd be a non smoker. I didn't even want to stop

I'm always fed up when people moan about the cost of health care for smokers so I googled it. In 2004–05 tobacco tax revenue exceeded tobacco-attributable costs borne by the public sector by more than $3.5 billion. Now, the next thing to google is the cost of healthcare for obese people - same rule applies. Cost of healthcare far outweighs their input to the health system, what with cardiac disease, cholesterol tablets, blood pressure tablets, heavy lifting equipment and special beds.......So, would you like to weigh in on this argument next?
Yes, that argument really bugs me too. People make choices, and to me they have every right to do so without judgement from others. We all pay into the tax system one way or another, granted some more than others depending on earnings, what they buy etc etc, but we should all be able to make our own choices.

And the old argument of 'well what gives you the right to smoke in my space' bugs me too. I mean what gives me the right to stand in their space when they're smoking? works both ways in my opinion. For instance, if I go to my local pub, I know that the beer garden is a smoking area, so if I chose to sit in there I know that I have to be around people who smoke. If I don't want to be near them, well I will just sit inside where they aren't allowed to smoke.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:59 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Wendy.

And the interesting thing about the smoke free fascists is that the worst are often ex smokers. To the fascists the rebel in me says "f**k you, I'll stop when I choose to". But the fag packet warnings - especially the graphic ones and the "give up smoking" campaigns are a different matter altogether. They are far more more likely to do the trick.

Congratulations Wendy . I know quite a few people who gave up by attending the Alan Carr course ...Will have to take a look at the book
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulry
And the interesting thing about the smoke free fascists is that the worst are often ex smokers. To the fascists the rebel in me says "f**k you, I'll stop when I choose to". But the fag packet warnings - especially the graphic ones and the "give up smoking" campaigns are a different matter altogether. They are far more more likely to do the trick.

Congratulations Wendy . I know quite a few people who gave up by attending the Alan Carr course ...Will have to take a look at the book
Best money I ever spent
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:10 am

We are because we realize how useless a habit it is and the number of poor excuses given for not giving up.
Originally Posted by paulry

Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:13 am

Health resources are scarce and not market driven. Smokers can **** off using valuable doctors, nurses and beds that we are short of. It is about more than the cost.
Congrats Wendy.

Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:16 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

no excuse for smoking, it's vile and unhealthy but smokers are no worse criminals than pissheads. Anyone ever seen an alcoholic die, slowly pickle their liver and brain? Abusive and aggresive one minute, feeling the love the next?

Let's not get all sanctamonious about smokers. It's their choice and if that's what they want to do it's up to them. So long as they don't enforce it on anyone else. let not think smelly alcohol pissed up junkies are any different

its all about choice folks.....not criminals....choice....
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:18 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Health resources are scarce and not market driven. Smokers can **** off using valuable doctors, nurses and beds that we are short of. It is about more than the cost.
Wow. I hope I never meet you in person
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:52 am

I have. It does not justify the selfishness of smokers.
Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
no excuse for smoking, it's vile and unhealthy but smokers are no worse criminals than pissheads. Anyone ever seen an alcoholic die, slowly pickle their liver and brain? Abusive and aggresive one minute, feeling the love the next?

Let's not get all sanctamonious about smokers. It's their choice and if that's what they want to do it's up to them. So long as they don't enforce it on anyone else. let not think smelly alcohol pissed up junkies are any different

its all about choice folks.....not criminals....choice....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.