Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Exercise - when is the best time to do it and why?

Exercise - when is the best time to do it and why?

Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:14 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Question Exercise - when is the best time to do it and why?

This is something I've often wondered?! I've heard from some people that it's best to exercise first thing in the morning before brekkie, but what do you do and what's ur logic behind it?
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Exercise - when is the best time to do it and why?

I run in the early evening - it's usually cool enough and it's a good way to wind down after being in the city all day.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I aways do it in the morning and on an empty stomach - I then usually eat eggs, advocado and rye bread within 30 minutes of stopping. I find that by doing this i can pretty much eat what I like (not processed stuff though)

I started work about 8 weeks ago and been on am shifts every since - personally I have found it a little difficult to motivate myself on the way home from work but I do. Probably not pushed it as hard as I have eaten and can be tired. Noticed weight gain of about 1.5 kilos so need to get that off.

I am on pm shifts for the next two weeks - hooray - 18k run tomorrow (I am in training for the GOR half next month - and need to get a long run in)
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

When? Never
Why? Because I'm a lazy cow.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of

best time: tomorrow
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:28 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what shifts I'm working. If I start late I'll run or whatever in the morning before I eat anything and before it gets too hot (unless I finish work really late in which case a lie-in wins). If I finish work at 2pm I'll wait till the sun is going down and do it then. Means I end up running in the dark though.

I prefer doing it first thing in the morning because I haven't eaten and so I don't get a stitch (I have to be careful running/cycling in the evening because if I've eaten even 3 hours before I sometimes get a stitch).

I ran 11km yesterday and about 8km today. 11km is the longest I've ever ran - I wasn't built to be a runner but I try!

Cycling I'll do any time of the day.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
This is something I've often wondered?! I've heard from some people that it's best to exercise first thing in the morning before brekkie, but what do you do and what's ur logic behind it?
This is what I understood too and the reason (I have been told, I have no idea myself) is because the exercise boosts your metabolic process for the rest of the day.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Apr 18th 2010 at 10:34 am.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:33 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Depends on what shifts I'm working. If I start late I'll run or whatever in the morning before I eat anything and before it gets too hot (unless I finish work really late in which case a lie-in wins). If I finish work at 2pm I'll wait till the sun is going down and do it then. Means I end up running in the dark though.

I prefer doing it first thing in the morning because I haven't eaten and so I don't get a stitch (I have to be careful running/cycling in the evening because if I've eaten even 3 hours before I sometimes get a stitch).

I ran 11km yesterday and about 8km today. 11km is the longest I've ever ran - I wasn't built to be a runner but I try!

Cycling I'll do any time of the day.
Cool, I tried to sort my bike today, got a new tube for it yday but whatever Pickfords did the handlebars are sitting parallel to the wheel so it's all flat, if you get me, and I can't seem to find where to loosen to get the bloody handlebars back round the right way! ARGHHHHH Simon's back from exercise on Wednesday so I'll have to wait til then for him to sort it for me, probably just requires some brute strength lol I hope it was deliberately put like this, otherwise it could well be broken and I'll be rightly pee'd off lol
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:34 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

A Malay friend of mine said that his doctor recommended not running in the morning because there was less oxygen in the air.!

This is nonsense of course but based in on logic, albeit false logic.

I much prefer running in the morning because it is quiet and nice.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:41 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

I cycled 14k today - feeling pretty pleased with myself
However, am expecting to feel pretty rough tomorrow...
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:09 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Cool, I tried to sort my bike today, got a new tube for it yday but whatever Pickfords did the handlebars are sitting parallel to the wheel so it's all flat, if you get me, and I can't seem to find where to loosen to get the bloody handlebars back round the right way! ARGHHHHH Simon's back from exercise on Wednesday so I'll have to wait til then for him to sort it for me, probably just requires some brute strength lol I hope it was deliberately put like this, otherwise it could well be broken and I'll be rightly pee'd off lol
In the top of the headset (which is like the steering column) there's probably an allen key hole. You should be able to loosen that with an allen key and then push the handle bars out to the right position. (And then obviously re-tighten it before riding it! )
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:33 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
In the top of the headset (which is like the steering column) there's probably an allen key hole. You should be able to loosen that with an allen key and then push the handle bars out to the right position. (And then obviously re-tighten it before riding it! )
Tried that, one allen key is too big the next one down too small so will leave it til bonzo gets home...
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:12 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Pound to a pinch that brute force was used - best not to do it to reverse the problem - but at a last resort it won't do much harm.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:34 pm
Jenny

Location: Bradford, but moving to Busselton WA in Sept 2010 (yay!!!!)
morrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant future

Morning definitely!! Energy levels are high and it sets you up for the day -unless of course you're not a morning person, in which case you'd probably consider it to be a form of torture at that time of day.....
Old Apr 18th 2010, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
A Malay friend of mine said that his doctor recommended not running in the morning because there was less oxygen in the air.!

This is nonsense of course but based in on logic, albeit false logic.
There is a tiny chance that is true in Malaysia. Due to Ozone in the air after thunderstorms Ozone (O3) is more prevalent than O2. So more overnight thunderstorms mean more Ozone in the morning.

I'm not saying he is correct mind you. But an interesting theory

JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.