Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate: where is this going???

Exchange rate: where is this going???

Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:49 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate: where is this going???

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Theu don't have to but I think they will - in some shape or form. Maybe by the end of the week. they have got themselves into a real mess and have to get out of it somehow.

Unlikely to be honest. Next Monday at the earliest before anything can be pased and made offical. Who knows what will happen in the interim. Congress dont sit for another 2 days (back Thurday/Friday) as its a jewish holiday (I am not joking). Given the current situation I find this unreal.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:06 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
Unlikely to be honest. Next Monday at the earliest before anything can be pased and made offical. Who knows what will happen in the interim. Congress dont sit for another 2 days (back Thurday/Friday) as its a jewish holiday (I am not joking). Given the current situation I find this unreal.
Didn't realise that. I think it will happen in some shape or form though. I can see the arguement from both viewpoints.

What a mess.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:12 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Didn't realise that. I think it will happen in some shape or form though. I can see the arguement from both viewpoints.

What a mess.
You are right it will happen. I think yesterday was about posturing by both sides. However taking a "holiday" while this is happening is farsical.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

There is so much volatility in the exchange rate it's incredible. 12 months ago it was at $2.45, when we brought our money over in June we got $2.04! Then again, we were only bringing money over as we had managed to sell our house, and a lot of other people are struggling to do that, so we shouldn't whinge too much.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light

Well at the moment it is at 2.245
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to allReading fan is a name known to all

You probably wouldn't get that rate (the rate on the internet)- that is the rate the banks sell to each other - Moneycorp offered 2.2375 as their peak today.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Better than where it was in February.....

Was going to post about feeling pretty nervous looking at the markets last night, and low and behold, all is better the following day - had to laugh at a picture doing the rounds on the internet below:

http://tenpercent.files.wordpress.co...970c-500wi.jpg
Old Sep 30th 2008, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Twinset
Better than where it was in February.....

Was going to post about feeling pretty nervous looking at the markets last night, and low and behold, all is better the following day - had to laugh at a picture doing the rounds on the internet below:

http://tenpercent.files.wordpress.co...970c-500wi.jpg

how bloody true!!!! Well at least its going in the right direction! I am watching it waiting to pounce then send money across - wouldn't it be ace for it to hit the peak of $3 to the £......!!!!!!
Old Oct 4th 2008, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

the derbys will become famous soon enoughthe derbys will become famous soon enough

when would it be the best time for me to change our money from AUD to Pounds? dont want to lose out on ant money
Old Oct 4th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Think the honest answer to your question was.....January, at $2 to pound. The exchange rate has been relatively stable for a couple of months, then people have come out of the Oz dollar into other products, so exchange rate has moved back to more familiar territory of $2.27ish. From a personal point of view, I would also like to see $3 to the pound in around April next year....if you are coming back, you will be wishing for below $2. If you check this link,it will give you the past trends over the last 10 years in CSV format, which you can turn into Excel charts:

http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/en/rates/exchform.html

From it, you can see that the Oz dollar has been at its strongest for some years recently. I don't even pretend to have a clue which way it is going.

Question is: where is it going to go next?? Which brings me nicely back to the point of this thread: anyone want to hazard a guess at the effect of the US debt deal, or a forecast reduction in UK interest rates?

Twinset
Old Oct 4th 2008, 11:44 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinset
Question is: where is it going to go next?? Which brings me nicely back to the point of this thread: anyone want to hazard a guess at the effect of the US debt deal, or a forecast reduction in UK interest rates?
Don't forget Aus interest rates are almost certain to fall next week as well, possibly by 0.5%.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Guess that might put the cat amongst the pigeons, because there is genuine uncertainty about whether it will happen or not in the UK, with inflation showing no sign of abating.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well,

We were talking 2.25 a week ago, and I have just forward contracted at a lot more than that: sincerly hope for those who are still concerned with this that the rate gets stronger.

For me, just another tick in the box on the countdown....but very happy with rates right now....