Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Exchange rate: where is this going???

Exchange rate: where is this going???

Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice
Default Exchange rate: where is this going???

Dear all,

The Oz dollar exchange rate is going mad again. Since the announcement by the US senate, just 3 hours ago the rate has gone to $2.25 (up 5c) to £UK and climbing.

Realise that this is good for some and not good for others: anyone want to hazard an educated or not so educated guess where this is heading??

Twinset
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:29 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange rate: where is this going???

If the US manages to pass the bailout bill in some form then the ex rate will probably fall back again.

If not, then the A$ will probably weaken further & quickly. However the 'if not' implications are much greater than the A$ ex rate so who knows what the rules will be. With the US economy on its knees why should money be flowing into the USD - disnae make sense!!
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Crazy times......certainly seems that way: up 6c......to 2.26....
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:41 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

They didn't pass it...
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
They didn't pass it...
Not this time around: but they will have to in some form: Dow down 7%, Nasdaq down 9%.

Have to say, never seen falls like this I can remember.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Twinset
Not this time around: but they will have to in some form: Dow down 7%, Nasdaq down 9%.

I don't think they will 'have to' .... Bailing an economy out is a mistake imo. Seems Congress agree.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hmmm...trying to get my head around what may happen if they don't do a bail out...

On the weird side, our CEO went round the banks last week: his quote was "..and two of them no longer exist this week..."
Old Sep 29th 2008, 11:39 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Dear all,

The Oz dollar exchange rate is going mad again. Since the announcement by the US senate, just 3 hours ago the rate has gone to $2.25 (up 5c) to £UK and climbing.

Realise that this is good for some and not good for others: anyone want to hazard an educated or not so educated guess where this is heading??

Twinset
wish i had a crystal ball for this one

i know nothing really about finanance but surley there must be reprecussions if the US government just wipe the slate clean???

what about all them greedy fat cats on wall st there to blame aren,t they?

they should be giveing there salaries and bonus,s back to the state

not much chance of that thouh hey?

just my 2p,s anyhoo right off my soapbox now

Dougie

Last edited by Dougie; Sep 29th 2008 at 11:40 pm. Reason: cannot typein the dark!
Old Sep 30th 2008, 12:19 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they will 'have to' .... Bailing an economy out is a mistake imo. Seems Congress agree.
Agree and disagree, my fair lady! Bailing out will potentially stop meltdown but will not teach monetary responsibility or avoid fat cat payments in the medium to long term.

As for the exchange rate....tomorrow is a different day with a likely different picture.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by busterboy
Agree and disagree, my fair lady! Bailing out will potentially stop meltdown but will not teach monetary responsibility or avoid fat cat payments in the medium to long term.

As for the exchange rate....tomorrow is a different day with a likely different picture.
I'm all for taking the fall and learning a few lessons.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 3:27 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

October 1987
Old Sep 30th 2008, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Vanessa
October 1987
Maybe he was born after that.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Sadly, I was 20 - but much more interested in wine, women and song.......and the internet was a baby, the early version of Ebay was Noel Edmond's swap shop, and mobile phones were weighed in kilos........... ......but bankers were still spelt with a "w" and loadsamoney was in vogue....

Roll on the next financial cycle
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Oz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to allOz wannabe1 is a name known to all

Dear all,

Twinset
$2.50 by October 25th would be a good call for me. For selfish reasons I fly out to Oz on the 28th and the 26th is the only chance I will get to change my UK £ into $....
Old Sep 30th 2008, 7:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Theu don't have to but I think they will - in some shape or form. Maybe by the end of the week. they have got themselves into a real mess and have to get out of it somehow.

The recriminations and way forward can come later. I personally think that Obama is certain to be president because of this mess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.