Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The EU: A bit of a pony really

The EU: A bit of a pony really

Old May 22nd 2011, 10:27 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The EU: A bit of a pony really

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Need a nice simple referendum: tell europe to f**k off or keep getting shafted by europe

and while we're at it, instead of the sweatys getting to vote for independence how about England gets to vote on whether we want to tell the jocks to sod off
I'm not sure that will go the way you think. Although (generally) the English like to complain about the Scots they also feel rejected (again generally) when the notion of Scottish independence comes up.
Old May 22nd 2011, 11:42 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

How iironic it is that at the same time as the dead EU horse is being endlessly flogged, the UK: a unification which works very well indeed is being systematically dismantled. Surely it'd be better to fine tune our unification to address the concerns of those who want to break away and ditch the unelected and completely unworkable one?
Old May 22nd 2011, 11:47 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
How iironic it is that at the same time as the dead EU horse is being endlessly flogged, the UK: a unification which works very well indeed is being systematically dismantled. Surely it'd be better to fine tune our unification to address the concerns of those who want to break away and ditch the unelected and completely unworkable one?
I guess the advantage of the Unification is relaced by the EU. Similar feelings exist in Belgium, where the Dutch-speaking region of Flanders in the north and the French-speaking southern region of Wallonia see little point in continuing with a country artificially created at the treaty of London.
Old May 22nd 2011, 12:09 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Union worked well enough rather than well. As slappy suggests if the reason for union is removed by another Union then it may be that the original union becomes less attractive.
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:11 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I guess the advantage of the Unification is relaced by the EU. Similar feelings exist in Belgium, where the Dutch-speaking region of Flanders in the north and the French-speaking southern region of Wallonia see little point in continuing with a country artificially created at the treaty of London.
Originally Posted by Rambi
I think the Union worked well enough rather than well. As slappy suggests if the reason for union is removed by another Union then it may be that the original union becomes less attractive.
That's a good point, and it makes sense strategically. But what will become of these newly independent nations once the EU collapses? Everyone within the separate British states will be worse off. Maybe that's what the EU wants: To remove the British resistence to their dastardly plans
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:24 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point, and it makes sense strategically. But what will become of these newly independent nations once the EU collapses? Everyone within the separate British states will be worse off. Maybe that's what the EU wants: To remove the British resistence to their dastardly plans
I’m an old man Pauly. Maybe old before my time.

I remember the 1960s. Smash the establishment. Destroy the old guard. I watched Monty Python mock many of the things that people respected.

The problem was nothing replaced it. We just became leaderless, moral-less, and motiveless.

The same stupidity is occurring with the EU. Destroy alliances that have existed (for good reason) for hundreds of years, under a crazy “united states of Europe” banner.

I was working in Paris many years ago, and had an argument with my Boss about the EEC. It went like this:

“You know slappy, we need the EEC. We need one common set of laws across Europe”
“Yes Serge. I agree”
“and we need a common single economy”
“Yes Serge I agree”
“And we need one common open market”
“Yes Serge I agree. And might I add, we need one common Language. That’s English, spoken and understood all over the world”
My God NO Slappy, we will never give up our mother tongue. I will die before I speak English”.

It sums the whole mess up.
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
I’m an old man Pauly. Maybe old before my time.

I remember the 1960s. Smash the establishment. Destroy the old guard. I watched Monty Python mock many of the things that people respected.

The problem was nothing replaced it. We just became leaderless, moral-less, and motiveless.

The same stupidity is occurring with the EU. Destroy alliances that have existed (for good reason) for hundreds of years, under a crazy “united states of Europe” banner.

I was working in Paris many years ago, and had an argument with my Boss about the EEC. It went like this:

“You know slappy, we need the EEC. We need one common set of laws across Europe”
“Yes Serge. I agree”
“and we need a common single economy”
“Yes Serge I agree”
“And we need one common open market”
“Yes Serge I agree. And might I add, we need one common Language. That’s English, spoken and understood all over the world”
My God NO Slappy, we will never give up our mother tongue. I will die before I speak English”.

It sums the whole mess up.
Ah but they already have a plan for that:

Europe English
The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU rather than German which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five year phase-in plan that would be known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k". This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have 1 less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be ekspekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e"s in the language is disgraseful, and they should go away.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru! And zen world!
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:42 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Ah but they already have a plan for that:
I'm surprised German was the other choice. I though the 2 official languages of the EU was English and French.

Obviously English is winning (God Bless America )
Old May 22nd 2011, 1:53 pm
Banned

I'm surprised German was the other choice. I though the 2 official languages of the EU was English and French.

About time the yanks did something

The French missed out on the language consideration because they were too busy blockading Calais to have it added.
Old May 22nd 2011, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in Germany for a German software company for a while with a few other Brits. It was a multinational, but essentially German company (ok it was SAP).

When we Brits started work there they brought in a rule that all business was to be conducted in English. Honestly the meetings were painful as German software engineers tried to get across complex concepts in English.

I got to the point I would avoid meetings as I knew if I wasn't there they'd just revert to talking German to each other, which was much more efficient.

I think they know long-term though, German as a language is doomed. Long Long term I think it will be between English and Spanish or a hybrid of the 2 as the Lingua Franca.

JTL
Old May 22nd 2011, 7:35 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I worked in Germany for a German software company for a while with a few other Brits. It was a multinational, but essentially German company (ok it was SAP).

When we Brits started work there they brought in a rule that all business was to be conducted in English. Honestly the meetings were painful as German software engineers tried to get across complex concepts in English.

I got to the point I would avoid meetings as I knew if I wasn't there they'd just revert to talking German to each other, which was much more efficient.

I think they know long-term though, German as a language is doomed. Long Long term I think it will be between English and Spanish or a hybrid of the 2 as the Lingua Franca.

JTL
I reckon English has now established itself as the Lingua Franca. Speaking English in France is no longer the problem it was 25 years ago. When I see travel programmes to countries where the colonial language is not English a significant number of people seem to able to speak a significant amount of English (on top of the colonial language and their own language).

English is a relatively easy language to speak. It's just really crap to spell.

Last edited by Rambi; May 22nd 2011 at 7:37 pm.
Old May 23rd 2011, 12:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

JTL
Credit to the Germans for switching over to speaking English - and in their country too

Reminds me of a trip OH and I made to the Netherlands a few years back. Needing directions I asked an old daisy if she spoke English. She answered "No" in a very German sounding voice. As we turned away I said to wifey that I thought she was German. Next thing I knew the old lady shouted angrily back at us "I AM NOT GERMAN!"

I reckon English has now established itself as the Lingua Franca. Speaking English in France is no longer the problem it was 25 years ago. When I see travel programmes to countries where the colonial language is not English a significant number of people seem to able to speak a significant amount of English (on top of the colonial language and their own language).

English is a relatively easy language to speak. It's just really crap to spell.
The French resent English being recognised as the Lingua Franca.

Other language possibilities are Portugese and Spanish, They're spoken a lot around the world too. In fact they possibly have more of a case than the French do.
Old May 23rd 2011, 12:53 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Old May 23rd 2011, 1:03 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I had this problem nearly everyday when i lived in Queensland
Old May 23rd 2011, 1:14 am
Banned

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.