Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Estate agents and selling

Estate agents and selling

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:35 am
Just Joined

backdraftuk will become famous soon enoughbackdraftuk will become famous soon enough
Default Estate agents and selling

Ok, so nearly everybody has to deal with them, either selling or buying. A good one will make you more money than their fees but a poor one will cost you loads and delay the process by months.

How and why did you choose the agent that you used?

Last time we did it ourselves and it cost £130 but not so sure the market easy now.

One agent in town says that there is a shortage of property’s and things are flying with houses often going for bids over the asking price. I have been checking what houses around us sold for last year and it’s not a lot more than they were when we moved in 2004, and certainly a lot less than their asking prices, so why are they so optimistic? Is it just to get our instruction?

Given the usual spread in valuations, do you go for the higher valuation and then risk having the house on the market for months and end up having to cut the price. If you go for a lower valuation can you really expect bids over the asking price or will you end up giving thousands away?

In the past I have gone with a middle of three valuation, but am not sure if that is the best approach.

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:55 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estate agents and selling

Originally Posted by backdraftuk
Ok, so nearly everybody has to deal with them, either selling or buying. A good one will make you more money than their fees but a poor one will cost you loads and delay the process by months.

Last time we did it ourselves and it cost £130 but not so sure the market easy now.

One agent in town says that there is a shortage of property’s and things are flying with houses often going for bids over the asking price. I have been checking what houses around us sold for last year and it’s not a lot more than they were when we moved in 2004, and certainly a lot less than their asking prices, so why are they so optimistic? Is it just to get our instruction?

Given the usual spread in valuations, do you go for the higher valuation and then risk having the house on the market for months and end up having to cut the price. If you go for a lower valuation can you really expect bids over the asking price or will you end up giving thousands away?

In the past I have gone with a middle of three valuation, but am not sure if that is the best approach.

Any thoughts?
Aim high and re-evaluate a month later. If the market is strong and properties are rare then hold out for more, Mine is up for as much as possible and I am just waiting for it to sell. I have ages before I need to be in Australia so why rush it and have less funds for when you arrive. The choice is yours more money or get there sooner ?
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brisben
Aim high and re-evaluate a month later. If the market is strong and properties are rare then hold out for more, Mine is up for as much as possible and I am just waiting for it to sell. I have ages before I need to be in Australia so why rush it and have less funds for when you arrive. The choice is yours more money or get there sooner ?
I sort of agree, but then be sensible. Aiming high is not going to get the sale if the market does not support it.

We originally went with the agent who valued the highest, despite being warned by someone who'd used them before. We sat for 8 weeks with one viewing and he kept moaning about the market.
Eventually we sacked him and employed the guy who had given us a realistic price for our house - We had liked him and our gut instinct told us he was good, but we ignored it and went with the other guy (who was all mouth and no action)

Anyway, the new guy sold our house in 6 weeks of it being listed with them and he worked his but off for us. We had no issues about paying him the commission he'd earned.

Go with your gut.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:27 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backdraftuk

Any thoughts?
How much time do you have ?

If you have sold your own house previously, you know how easy it actually can be. We are putting our house up within the next 14 days, and this will be the 3rd time we will be selling our own house.

I dont know much about the UK market, but one thing I do know, is that you can sell your own house better than any estate agent can.

If it doesnt work out after a couple of months, you can always get the estate agent in and its only cost a couple of hundred