English-style Caff

Old Sep 16th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English-style Caff

Not sure theres a market for "pommie" food per se, particularly as there's a great range of other world food to be enjoyed over here BUT I reckon a chip shop that already has food to go would be great.

Our local takes around 25 minutes to cook up some fish and chips...It's great that you know it's fresh but we hardly ever go there as it takes them so long to get it together.

Get some bain maries for gravy, beans, curry sauce and peas (dunno if they'd go down well or not - gravy probably) and warmers over the fryers (only cook to peak times - i.e when you know you're going to be flat out then cook continually and replenish the warmer - when it's quiet, only keep the warmer on low stock to save wastage and most importantly to keep the product fresh for the customer)

I reckon an 'in and out' chippy would go down really well.

Good luck.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Up against the Italians and Greeks and Turkish, who can provide excellent cheap food, and are trusted as people bringing cheap quality food. You'd be right up against it. btw Plenty of Italian owned business do the full English for about 8.00 bucks, including tea or coffee.

I doubt it would work in Melbourne, which is supposedly the restaurant capital of Aus.

Gold coast, just maybe, only because there are plenty of poms there.
I agree. Thing is, can you really sell jellied eels and mash to a non-expat or even expat audience. There are so many decent breakfast cafes now selling simple tasty fry-ups you'd have to grap a very niche market and hope it arrives.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 11:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

There used to be one of these in Perth - on Beaufort Street, across the road from the Brisbane Hotel. I was passing there recently and see that it has closed down.

Aussie Fish and chips are far superior to UK variety. Who the f**k would eat jellied eels? A decent bacon sandwich is hard to find in Australia though.

Good luck.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
. Who the f**k would eat jellied eels? .
Don't knock it until you have tried it
Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:24 am

jackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nice

random post no.1
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:07 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

If you could open an English cafe in the Valley (Brisbane) you would have me as a customer. My latest Brisbane full English breakfast went like this...plate appears on table I look at and say the following wheres the beans (waiter replies they are extra), wheres the mushrooms (waiter replies they are extra), wheres the black pudding and fried bread (waiter looks at me like i'm from Mars) at this point I give up and eat whats in front of me!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
If you could open an English cafe in the Valley (Brisbane) you would have me as a customer. My latest Brisbane full English breakfast went like this...plate appears on table I look at and say the following wheres the beans (waiter replies they are extra), wheres the mushrooms (waiter replies they are extra), wheres the black pudding and fried bread (waiter looks at me like i'm from Mars) at this point I give up and eat whats in front of me!
I've never seen any of those on a breakfast plate (save the mushrooms) in all my time here.

Baked beans in cafes are possibly banned in Melbourne

So there begs the question what is a full english breakfast, I've honestly forgotten, I never ever had black pudding on one in the UK as far as I can recall, and did they really used to come with fried tomatoes and baked beans on the same plate together, I also thought toast was the Norm, rather than fried bread, tis different down south I guess lol.

v

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 26th 2007 at 5:00 am.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 5:29 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody southerner!

A proper (Nottingham) full english must have black pudding, fried bread (plus toast), beans and mushrooms as well as the rest.

You heading to the game this weekend? be prepared for the Roar to carve you apart and score nil!

I've never seen any of those on a breakfast plate (save the mushrooms) in all my time here.

Baked beans in cafes are possibly banned in Melbourne

So there begs the question what is a full english breakfast, I've honestly forgotten, I never ever had black pudding on one in the UK as far as I can recall, and did they really used to come with fried tomatoes and baked beans on the same plate together, I also thought toast was the Norm, rather than fried bread, tis different down south I guess lol.

v
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Bloody southerner!

A proper (Nottingham) full english must have black pudding, fried bread (plus toast), beans and mushrooms as well as the rest.

You heading to the game this weekend? be prepared for the Roar to carve you apart and score nil!

Yehp I'll be there for sure, minus the wife and billies, which is great, I can go apeshiit My mate is borrowing my Wifes members ticket, doubt if they will notice the gender difference lol ! I'll be going to the prematch BWB brigade boozer (about 500 nutcases, in there so should be very nostalgic)

BTW did you notice the Qland roar thread on here, going great guns with the local Brit community up there, Kittys is supposedly the best meeting spot.

Cant pick the result for this one, Melbourne will be trying 3 up front apparently.

Catch you later.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:50 am
Go the BNE Roar

Yeah Kitty's is my local when I head to the games the back bar can be fun and if you like it a little quieter stay in the front bar.

God knows what QLD will be doing but no doubt we will struggle to hit a cows arse with a banjo. Thank god it doesnt get the juices flowing like Forest or it would seriously drive me up the wall how many chances they miss.

Have a good un!

Yehp I'll be there for sure, minus the wife and billies, which is great, I can go apeshiit My mate is borrowing my Wifes members ticket, doubt if they will notice the gender difference lol ! I'll be going to the prematch BWB brigade boozer (about 500 nutcases, in there so should be very nostalgic)

BTW did you notice the Qland roar thread on here, going great guns with the local Brit community up there, Kittys is supposedly the best meeting spot.

Cant pick the result for this one, Melbourne will be trying 3 up front apparently.

Catch you later.