Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

DVD Player problems, Can You help?

DVD Player problems, Can You help?

Old Dec 27th 2006, 8:46 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default DVD Player problems, Can You help?

Our DVD player has been flak for some time now. It plays some DVDs and not others. For example, it wouldn't play the brand new out of the box Disney's Little Mermaid at all, says "no disc". We've borrowed a 24 box set and sometimes it plays (after several attempts) and sometimes it also just days "no disc". BTW, all these play fine in the PC DVD player and in the kid's car DVD player.

So, we bought the bullet and ordered a new DVD player which arrived today. We went for a good one which is multi region and which plays DivX so will be great for when we've moved to Aus but guess what? Exactly the same problems. OH just got it to play a DVD it wouldn't play 10 mins ago but it still won't play many of our other stuff.

We have noticed that sometimes it accepts a disc after another one has been tried. We've also noticed that many of the discs that won't work are dual layer.

Any ideas????

Gill
Old Dec 27th 2006, 11:46 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVD Player problems, Can You help?

Originally Posted by herrchook
many of the discs that won't work are dual layer.

Any ideas????

Gill
No idea however, most store bought/rented movies are dual layer whereas the typical homemade dvd is single layer
Old Dec 27th 2006, 11:46 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas????
Yup, I could murder a bacon butty
Old Dec 28th 2006, 12:23 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Our DVD player has been flak for some time now. It plays some DVDs and not others. For example, it wouldn't play the brand new out of the box Disney's Little Mermaid at all, says "no disc". We've borrowed a 24 box set and sometimes it plays (after several attempts) and sometimes it also just days "no disc". BTW, all these play fine in the PC DVD player and in the kid's car DVD player.

So, we bought the bullet and ordered a new DVD player which arrived today. We went for a good one which is multi region and which plays DivX so will be great for when we've moved to Aus but guess what? Exactly the same problems. OH just got it to play a DVD it wouldn't play 10 mins ago but it still won't play many of our other stuff.

We have noticed that sometimes it accepts a disc after another one has been tried. We've also noticed that many of the discs that won't work are dual layer.

Any ideas????

Gill
Even DVD Players that are sold as multi region are not necessarily 'setup' to actually play all DVDs. What I suggest doing is finding the manufacturer's website/email address (should be in the manual) and tell them your problem and ask them for the multizone code and how to program it in.

You could also try doing this for your older DVD player as the manufacturer/brand should have a website with links, contact form etc.

If all else fails, go back to where you bought it from, as it will be under warranty. Take a couple of the problem dvds in with you to demonstate the issue.

Good Luck
Old Dec 28th 2006, 12:56 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

And following up on that good advice you may like to check out this thread..........

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415272
Old Dec 28th 2006, 1:05 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Any ideas????

Gill
Had exactly the same problems with 2 cheapo DVD players, it was simply a case of being unlucky with the hardware I think. The laser tracking mechanisms are notoriously unreliable in cheap players.

We got a dual DVD-VCR thingy from LG (Multi-region, DivX and all) and all has been good since.

If your PC has a DVD drive then you can rule out dodgy discs by testing them on that.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:05 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Decided to bit the bullet and have bought "another" new DVD player. Went to Curry's rather than another internet shop (easier to take back if there's problems and we tested it before paying) and are now happily able to watch the rest of the 24 box set

Thanks for all the advice, Deadmeat you were right, it must just have been that the old player was too old and the first new one was cheap.

cheers guys

Gill
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Decided to bit the bullet and have bought "another" new DVD player. Went to Curry's rather than another internet shop (easier to take back if there's problems and we tested it before paying) and are now happily able to watch the rest of the 24 box set

Thanks for all the advice, Deadmeat you were right, it must just have been that the old player was too old and the first new one was cheap.

cheers guys

Gill
Which 24 series are you on? They are addictive - there ought to be a warning on the box! Series 6 is about to start in the UK... My OH would be over the moon if series 6 has already happened in Oz and he could get his grubby mits on another box set without waiting!
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Only thing I can suggest is one of those DVD Lens cleaners. Unusual problem I must say.