Dubai Airport

Old May 28th 2008, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

magic8ball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai Airport

We finally go on our reccie on Sunday via Dubai, unfortunatley we have a 7 hour stop in dubai between midnight and 8AM (GREAT)

I have read this is the busiest time and there is not many places to sit etc...or sleep!

Has anybody used the business class lounges or DCA lounge, as the website says anybody can use them regarding class travelled. Or there are websites selling access to these lounges for about £18 per person, which if this is all cushty would be well worth it (free drinks etc)

Anyone have any ideas/done this route?

Thanks
Old May 28th 2008, 9:36 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all
Default Re: Dubai Airport

Originally Posted by magic8ball
We finally go on our reccie on Sunday via Dubai, unfortunatley we have a 7 hour stop in dubai between midnight and 8AM (GREAT)

I have read this is the busiest time and there is not many places to sit etc...or sleep!

Has anybody used the business class lounges or DCA lounge, as the website says anybody can use them regarding class travelled. Or there are websites selling access to these lounges for about £18 per person, which if this is all cushty would be well worth it (free drinks etc)

Anyone have any ideas/done this route?

Thanks
I have personally used the Buisness class lounge at Dubai as a buisness class passenger and found the place a disgrace, Struggled to find seats lots of rude people.
As for the drink and food side of it yes 18 pound is a cracking deal but don't expect lots of empty seats. I personally think Emirates are loosing the plot.
Gary Wifey and Bump
Old May 28th 2008, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Although I assume better than putting a 3 year old on the floor in the main building?
Old May 28th 2008, 9:45 am

dazah is an unknown quantity at this point

i love dubi airport esp the irish bar order a beef burger its huge so are the chips i highly recomend the mushroom soup in there

if you stand in frunt of the irish bar you will see a small shop stait over better if you buy cokes in there half the price then the bar and a little way passed irish bar is a nice lounge thing you can go in for free and if taking a laptop you can pick up a wireless connection
Old May 28th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

As you are in Dubai for longer than...so many hours...you will be entitled to a free transit hotel. Kazandjim experienced it a few weeks ago and said it was bit of a hassle getting to it but worth it just to stretch out....I think.
They can add their own words here...if they see this post!
You have to tell them at UK check in desk you would like to take advantage of their kind offer of a hotel room for the transit period.
Not sure how it works...we are flying Emirates Glasgow to Brisbane vis Dubai.
I am kind of assuming you are flying with them too!
Kazandjim flew from Glasgow to Brisbane...I think they thought the flight was good....
Hopefully we will be able to let you know soon...when this house sells!!
HKA
x

Last edited by hollykimalan; May 28th 2008 at 9:52 am. Reason: Poor spelling and grammer!
Old May 28th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

I have read up on that, and they only have to provide a hotel if longer than 9 hours, and we are 8 hours 15 mins. but of a nightmare really.

I would not be too bothered but I have a 3 year old and want somewhere relativley quiet and somehwhere she can sleep, do not want a cranky child when we get on the plane...
Old May 28th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by magic8ball
I have read up on that, and they only have to provide a hotel if longer than 9 hours, and we are 8 hours 15 mins. but of a nightmare really.

I would not be too bothered but I have a 3 year old and want somewhere relativley quiet and somehwhere she can sleep, do not want a cranky child when we get on the plane...
Why not book a hotel then? Airports ( especially Dubaii) are nowhere near quiet! I was not impressed with this stopover.. It was almost as bad as Dalaman in Turkey!!

With the length of the trip you will 99.9% get a cranky child... Sorry!!!
Old May 28th 2008, 10:09 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

We only had a stop off of about 2 hours & that was long enough IMO. Not a nice place at all. I would def recommend getting a hotel room for a few hours if you could. Goodluck
Old May 28th 2008, 10:23 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I actually enjoyed Dubai airport. It is large and spacious and I had a 13month old with me. You can use an airport buggy so your child could sleep in that I guess. We were only there for 3 hrs though. 8 hrs in any airport would not be much fun.

Emirates is the airline of our choice when we fly back. We have used them many times and can not fault the service on board.

Jo
Old May 28th 2008, 10:30 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Dubai. Two options.

Maharaba Lounge - no showers and limited foods.

DCA Lounge - Better with showers and hot food.

Both can be very busy though at peak times but better than trogging through the main terminal for hours on end.

https://www.executivelounges.com/en/...on=42&x=10&y=6 for picture of what to expect and details.

I recall DCA has sleeping rooms as well for a charge so you may want to see if you can prebook that.
Old May 28th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

You might want to check how religiously that 9 hour rule is enforced.
We arrive, as did kazandjim, in Dubai at 00:30hrs and leave at 08:45hrs.
That is 8 hours 15 mins. Please telephone the Emirates office and ask about transit hotels. kazandjim got one and we are expecting one too (for free!) with exactly the same 'length of time' in Dubai as you are expecting.
If you are flying from Glasgow you can visit (as we did) the sales desk for Emirates. They explained everything to me and my wife (she was having kittens thinking about being stuck in Dubai airport with three kids under 3 years old for nearly nine hours). They were very reassuring and the thought having a bed even just for a hour or two and a bath sounded nice!!
I would check direct with Emirates (again, I am assuming you are flying with them).
Let us know how you get on...have you booked flights yet? Are you flying with Emirates?
HKA
x
Old May 28th 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joh117
I actually enjoyed Dubai airport. It is large and spacious
Really? I was amazed at how tiny it was for such a busy airport in such a rich country. Very cheap (but small and crowded) shops though and couldn't fault Emirates.

One tip if you don't end up in a hotel. There is far more room at the right hand end of the terminal (looking with your back to the planes). There were people asleep all over the floors at the left end when we were there, but plenty of space at the other end. The terminal is not symmetrical so if half go one way and half the other, the density is far less to the right.
Old May 28th 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justsarah
It was almost as bad as Dalaman in Turkey!!
I really don't think that is possible. I've never ever been to an airport as ridiculously expensive as Dalaman..... the food must cost at least 10 times as much as if you stepped outside the airport. Disgraceful, particular as there are some many good things about Turkey, so sad to leave the country with a nasty taste in your mouth (metaphorically speaking!).
Old May 28th 2008, 2:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

My wife spent her stopover in January in the DCA lounge. She said it was great - nice food and drink, internet access, showers etc. Anyone can use it. I think it costs about GBP20.
Old May 28th 2008, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Great can you pay locally, or is it worth pre-booking, found it for £18

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.