Dubai Airport

Old May 28th 2008, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai Airport

Try asking this question on the Middle East Forum and you may get some helpful replies.
Old May 28th 2008, 5:32 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by magic8ball View Post
I have read up on that, and they only have to provide a hotel if longer than 9 hours, and we are 8 hours 15 mins. but of a nightmare really.

I would not be too bothered but I have a 3 year old and want somewhere relativley quiet and somehwhere she can sleep, do not want a cranky child when we get on the plane...
Apart from the hotel actually in the airport terminal. There are two hotels near by. Le Meridien which is opposite the airport terminal and the Millennium Hotel which is literally 3 minutes in a taxi away.
Old May 28th 2008, 5:42 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by louie View Post
Really? I was amazed at how tiny it was for such a busy airport in such a rich country. Very cheap (but small and crowded) shops though and couldn't fault Emirates.
You are obviously unaware of the billions being spent on the two new terminals (suggest you look out of the window when taking off or landing in Dubai), which are being built. One is almost complete and I think opening in September.

With reference to people sleeping all over the floor. These people are of a totally different culture, they sit, sleep and eat on the floor, it is quite natural for them.

They would find it quite hilarious that someone like you would complain about not having a seat to sit on when there is the floor!
Old May 28th 2008, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ray2gill View Post
You are obviously unaware of the billions being spent on the two new terminals (suggest you look out of the window when taking off or landing in Dubai), which are being built. One is almost complete and I think opening in September.

With reference to people sleeping all over the floor. These people are of a totally different culture, they sit, sleep and eat on the floor, it is quite natural for them.

They would find it quite hilarious that someone like you would complain about not having a seat to sit on when there is the floor!
Such delicately expressed cultural sensitivity is seldom seen on this forum...
HKA
x
Old May 28th 2008, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice

We finally go on our reccie on Sunday via Dubai, unfortunatley we have a 7 hour stop in dubai between midnight and 8AM (GREAT)

I have read this is the busiest time and there is not many places to sit etc...or sleep!

Has anybody used the business class lounges or DCA lounge, as the website says anybody can use them regarding class travelled. Or there are websites selling access to these lounges for about £18 per person, which if this is all cushty would be well worth it (free drinks etc)

Anyone have any ideas/done this route?

Thanks
We're going in September to visit the wife's sister, Newcastle to Brisbane. I thought it would be better than the hike down to heathrow, but it's due to arrive in Dubai at 00.05 and leave at 08.45. Done 4 hrs before in Singapore and just short of 6 hours in Tokyo. It's the only down side I could see to the flights.
Had a look at the lounges, look ok and seen the site for booking. But capacity is 150 and max stay is 5 hours.

Let me know how you get on once back.

Good luck.
Old May 28th 2008, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

nevster is an unknown quantity at this point

I would definitely try get into one of the lounges or use a hotel for a few hours. I recently travelled to and from Aus via Dubai and wasn't very impressed with the airport.

As others have said it's very busy with hardly any seats and people sleeping on the floor all over the place, not really a situation you want to be in with kids.
Old May 29th 2008, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Letspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant futureLetspretend.... has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Dubai Airport

Originally Posted by ray2gill View Post

Billions????? Is that pounds or Turkish Lira or Zimbabwean currency

well worth a trip to Dubai then..... to see THESE people, an international airport should cater for most if not all.

Seriously its an airport, thats all
Old May 29th 2008, 3:28 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its a disgusting airport,no i lie its a large ashtray come doss house
Old May 29th 2008, 3:37 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy View Post
Its till better than Heathrow though. The worlds crappiest airport and home of the worlds crappiest airline.
Old May 29th 2008, 3:51 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
Its till better than Heathrow though. The worlds crappiest airport and home of the worlds crappiest airline.
Mmm i guess your right there,but at Heathrow you are less likely to get lung cancer,and thats always a bonus for me
Old May 29th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

You will still be entitled to use the Millenium Hotel, if you don't ask you don't get! By the time you get through passport control and out of the airport to transfer to hotel you will only get about 3 hours sleep as you will no doubt shower and maybe have a light snack or coffee!

Worth it just to get your head down and avoid the hustle and bustle of the airport and all free of charge!
Old May 29th 2008, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LoneRanger View Post
You will still be entitled to use the Millenium Hotel, if you don't ask you don't get! By the time you get through passport control and out of the airport to transfer to hotel you will only get about 3 hours sleep as you will no doubt shower and maybe have a light snack or coffee!

Worth it just to get your head down and avoid the hustle and bustle of the airport and all free of charge!

Finally...You know LoneRanger that is post number 26 (I think!) and only
you and I have mentioned this fab free service which I think completely addresses the Original Posters concerns regarding-his young family at an airport for such a long time.

I hope he posts the result of his contact with Emirates.
It is funny how so much in this migration games is based on 'if you dont ask you dont get'.

Heavens...we have saved him from sharing an airport with these people!

HKA
x

Last edited by hollykimalan; May 29th 2008 at 7:07 am. Reason: Cant type!
Old May 29th 2008, 9:10 am
The Brains

Originally Posted by SimonG View Post
We're going in September to visit the wife's sister, Newcastle to Brisbane. I thought it would be better than the hike down to heathrow, but it's due to arrive in Dubai at 00.05 and leave at 08.45. Done 4 hrs before in Singapore and just short of 6 hours in Tokyo. It's the only down side I could see to the flights.
Had a look at the lounges, look ok and seen the site for booking. But capacity is 150 and max stay is 5 hours.

Let me know how you get on once back.

Good luck.

If travelling in September you will probably be using the new terminal which will be all singing all dancing.

The current terminal in Dubai has now outgrown its capacity with the shear volume of passengers using it. The new terminal will be purely for Emirates. Have applied to be test passenger for the pre-operational check so will let you know what it is like if I am not away on vacation.
Old May 29th 2008, 9:15 am
The Brains

Originally Posted by Bernieboy View Post
Well I don't know where you were terminal 2 with all the Russians? Terminal 1 is non smoking as are all public places in Dubai. There some very small glassed in smoking areas dificult to find in the terminal but otherwise it is completely non smoking.

Please get your facts right!
Old May 29th 2008, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

We finally go on our reccie on Sunday via Dubai, unfortunatley we have a 7 hour stop in dubai between midnight and 8AM (GREAT)

I have read this is the busiest time and there is not many places to sit etc...or sleep!

Has anybody used the business class lounges or DCA lounge, as the website says anybody can use them regarding class travelled. Or there are websites selling access to these lounges for about £18 per person, which if this is all cushty would be well worth it (free drinks etc)

Anyone have any ideas/done this route?

Thanks
Early in the morning the whole airport is crammed, even in business.. we were there last year arriving at about 7am their time and leaving a few hours later.
If you are arriving earlier it might not be so crowded. when it isnt busy the business class lounge is good for freshening up and having nibbles etc.
Caroline

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.