Driving in the US

Old Oct 13th 2016, 4:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in the US

Originally Posted by GarryP
And things like right turn on red, which is state dependent.
All states, plus DC, Guam, and Puerto Rico allow "right on red".

Forty-four states, plus DC allow "left on red, from a one-way street into a one-way street". The exceptions are Missouri, North Carolina, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, and New York CITY.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 8:41 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
One of my biggest gripes is the stupid rules on pre-paying for petrol - the attendant will ask you how much you want - and of course you don't know, because you just want to fill it up. But you can't just leave your card with them while you fill up - they have to pre-auth an amount, and they will refund you if you go over it - but this of course costs you twice in bank currency conversion fees, so watch for that. Either pay in cash, or use the self service PIN entry. Some PIN systems need a ZIP code and won't recognise an AU CC 4 digit post code - but I discovered that many would accept 90210
I had about a 50% success rate with paying at the pump...I think I just gave up trying in the end. If the zip code is validated another trick I've heard of is adding zero to an Australian postcode e.g. 03182. Seems to work in a lot of cases where a 5 character zip is demanded.
Old Oct 13th 2016, 10:50 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
All states, plus DC, Guam, and Puerto Rico allow "right on red".

Forty-four states, plus DC allow "left on red, from a one-way street into a one-way street". The exceptions are Missouri, North Carolina, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, and New York CITY.
Hmm, I definitely remember getting a hire car and being told in the instructions that right turn on red wasn't allowed, at that was well after 1978. Maybe it was New York...
Old Oct 14th 2016, 12:31 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=astera;12075885
Cops in the US can be a bunch of clowns so best not to do anything jumpy. Just pop the window down asap and keep both hands on the steering wheel and relax until they walk over and engage in conversation. Be pleasant, respective, accentuate your foreign accent, and maybe just maybe they'll relish this chance encounter and let you off with a warning and some warm words. [/QUOTE]

This is true - I actually got off once he realised I was British and also a cop - he was bowled over as he had never met a UK policeman before. We had a long chat on the side of the road, and he sent me on my way...

S
Old Oct 14th 2016, 10:50 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Hmm, I definitely remember getting a hire car and being told in the instructions that right turn on red wasn't allowed, at that was well after 1978. Maybe it was New York...
Pennsylvania perhaps?